What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-downloading apps that have been removed from itunes?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I download an app from itunes, and then later it gets removed from itunes and I also delete it from my ipad, can I still re-download it by syncing my ipad with itunes? Or will it be removed from my itunes app list too?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should still be on iTunes on your computer, so you can sync it back onto the iPad. Any "data" that you had on the app will only be as current as it was when you last synced. I've used this technique to get an older version of an app which I updated but didn't like the new version.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
if you have it in iTunes on your computer it will always stay there until you delete it.
You can transfer it from the computer to the iPad when syncing. Just don't ever delete it from your computer because if you do you can't get it back unless it gets put back in the iTunes store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A resounding maybe.

I have a few apps that I've deleted from the iPad, and are no longer available for purchase. They still show up in my Purchased tab in the Apps Store, available for download.

I do not know if this is going to be consistent.

Perhaps one of our developers knows what the policy is for discontinued apps, and availability for those who purchased it.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I am a developer and unless the status has changed recently(I haven't been keeping up with the latest changes) apps removed for purchase will no longer be downloadable for people who previously purchased.

The apps do still exist in the system but are not downloadable by anyone until they are back up for sale. Even if the developer quits the developer program, If they decide to come back at a later point, the apps already published and reviewed in the past will be their waiting if the developer decides to add them back to the store for sale.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange.

I double checked the apps to make sure they were gone from the store, and downloaded one just to be sure; Essay - write with style. It downloaded fine. Not that it does me any good. It broke under 5.0, which is why I deleted it. It was removed from the store long before that though.

Another was ArtProject. Don't know if that one works or not.

Oh well. If it isn't policy, best not to depend on it.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding when I asked Apple about it is that it will depend on the reason the app was removed. So yeah, best to rely on it being there if it gets removed.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
My understanding when I asked Apple about it is that it will depend on the reason the app was removed. So yeah, best to rely on it being there if it gets removed.

This may be the case.

If the developer pulled it from the store it can't be downloaded.
If apple pulls it from the store it can't be downloaded.

If the app is no longer for sale because of something like the developer didn't pay to renew their developer status. It won't be for sale but maybe in this case it can be redownloaded if you already purchased. (seems to be the case with Essay - write with style)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts