What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raft of cheaper tablets cheapening the iPad experience?

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Name one that works as well at the prices you suggest.

I believe that ipad987 suggested that there were devices that performed most things an IPAD does. An example of such a device, in my mind, is a nook tablet or kindle fire. While one may argue that it does not do MOST of an IPAD function, one could equally argue that it does nearly ALL of the important things for most people. Personally, I did not replace my nook color with an iPad for lack of function. I replaced it purely for the the larger screen, and chose the iPad purely based upon a general interest in experiencing the apple thing. If one can live with a smaller screen, I suspect many would find either to be very capable replacements for the iPad. I suspect the reason that they are "cheaper" however, is that they are subsidized.

On the other hand, I am also owner of the acer Tab. I find that it does EVERYTHING that an iPAD does, and even more. However, I find that it does not do many of those things as well. I especially dislike the screen response. Sometimes swipes are interpreted and presses, or swipes-then-presses, and vice versa. For day-to-day use (which was not my purpose), I would find it VERY frustrating, even to the point of being unusable.

My conclusions on the cheaper tablets (acer tab) suggests that it is not about WHAT they can or cannot do, but the general user interraction experience. I find the differentiating feature of the iPAD is simply how well the touch screen responds and the relative lack of unintended command responses, the smoothness of the response, and the general feel of the device. I conclude that the raft of cheaper tablets can actually make one more appreciate the iPad for those who can afford it.

It is like a honda vs BMW thing. BMWs do nothing that other cars don't do, and do even better in some cases. Some are faster. Some get better milage. All get you there. However, for the BMW fan, there is apparently nothing that matches the general feel when doing so.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that ipad987 suggested that there were devices that performed most things an IPAD does. An example of such a device, in my mind, is a nook tablet or kindle fire. While one may argue that it does not do MOST of an IPAD function, one could equally argue that it does nearly ALL of the important things for most people. Personally, I did not replace my nook color with an iPad for lack of function. I replaced it purely for the the larger screen, and chose the iPad purely based upon a general interest in experiencing the apple thing. If one can live with a smaller screen, I suspect many would find either to be very capable replacements for the iPad. I suspect the reason that they are "cheaper" however, is that they are subsidized.

On the other hand, I am also owner of the acer Tab. I find that it does EVERYTHING that an iPAD does, and even more. However, I find that it does not do many of those things as well. I especially dislike the screen response. Sometimes swipes are interpreted and presses, or swipes-then-presses, and vice versa. For day-to-day use (which was not my purpose), I would find it VERY frustrating, even to the point of being unusable.

My conclusions on the cheaper tablets (acer tab) suggests that it is not about WHAT they can or cannot do, but the general user interraction experience. I find the differentiating feature of the iPAD is simply how well the touch screen responds and the relative lack of unintended command responses, the smoothness of the response, and the general feel of the device. I conclude that the raft of cheaper tablets can actually make one more appreciate the iPad for those who can afford it.

It is like a honda vs BMW thing. BMWs do nothing that other cars don't do, and do even better in some cases. Some are faster. Some get better milage. All get you there. However, for the BMW fan, there is apparently nothing that matches the general feel when doing so.

Agreed. I have a Fire and would never buy one as an iPad alternative unless I couldn't afford an iPad. It works, but like a $200 device. That's why I don't see anyone shortchanged.

When we're talking about devices that work as well, we have to talk about the whole package, including smoothness and ease of function, because otherwise we'd be talking about nothing but hardware, which isn't why most people buy mobile devices.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Fire and would never buy one as an iPad alternative unless I couldn't afford an iPad. It works, but like a $200 device.

My experience with the fire is only at the local stores. However, I would not make this statement about the nook color. I find that it works quite well and exceeds my expectations based on price. I find the touch response and smoothness rivaled the iPad. I was VERY happy with it, except for screen size. Perhaps the fire is not as nice as I percieve?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experience with the fire is only at the local stores. However, I would not make this statement about the nook color. I find that it works quite well and exceeds my expectations based on price. I find the touch response and smoothness rivaled the iPad. I was VERY happy with it, except for screen size. Perhaps the fire is not as nice as I percieve?

Don't know, because there's a lot of subjectivity involved. I tried a Nook Color before I gave one as a gift, but that was maybe a year ago, and I didn't care for its interface. The recipient was hoping for an upgrade from an earlier model and seemed pleased with it.

I like Fire for reading, but I would use its Web browser only in a pinch. Netflix works fine on it. My uses are limited because I have iPad. I'm trying out some Android apps on Fire, in hopes of the Samsung Galaxy Note.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and I didn't care for its interface

Yes, I understand your view of that aspect of the nook. I probably agree. The biggest complaint I had regarding the software interface was that it took three presses (home >> apps >> specific app) to run a program. It was definitely focused on reading.

Possibly the strongest perception that the nook left me with was that it was the EASIEST piece of technology I ever used in terms of setup and intuition. It is just as simple and easy as they come. For those who value such things, it is hard to beat. The fact that my wife uses it with minimal questions tends to confirm this view.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's great that there are so many devices to choose from. Things will continue to get better and cheaper (or at least you'll get more for your dollar), I'd expect.

Having used a Kindle e-ink device, iDevices and a Fire, and having tried a Nook, I'd say they're all reasonably easy to use, and I'm lazy at learning tech; I basically want something to work nearly out of the box. But some people seem to struggle even with what seem like basic things on easy devices. I'm not sure how much easier they will get.

They don't have to get much easier as young people grow up with them. I've seen kids who know how to use touch devices long before they can walk, and I mean use them, like they know that tapping a certain spot will yield a specific result. So it's unlikely that many of the next generation will be stumped like some of us are now.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Fire is a fine $200 device, and I own a Galaxy Tab 8.9 that is arguably nicer to hold than the iPad 2. I gave my dad a Xoom to browse on and he adores it. But none of those devices would I prefer to use day to day given the choice.

That's the thing though. I owned an expensive Windows UMPC a few years ago that was state of the art technologically for a small tablet. Just about every major Android tablet on the market wipes the floor with that device in useability. We have a multitude of riches to choose from in the mobile space and it will only improve. The market always changes in this tech.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Disagreee...the ipads sell more coz its an APPLE product..and thats the truth...people here are saying that they wud buy better ANDROID tablets if they were better that ipad..

So how do you explain so MANY android phones which are 'better' (and have more functions) than an iPhone still sell less [diff of millions..30 million :eek: ] than the iphone??

I had an Ipod touch,loved it,and wanted a larger version.
I bought the Iphone because I had itunes. And it is grandfathered unlimited 3G.
Then when they presented the Ipad and added the 30/month unlimited 3G(grandfathered) I bought it.
Most useful device I ever owned.

I've owned 1400 shares of AAPL since I bought it under $5/share years ago and still hold.
So I could buy pretty much afford any kind of phone or device I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's great that there are so many devices to choose from. Things will continue to get better and cheaper (or at least you'll get more for your dollar), I'd expect.

Having used a Kindle e-ink device, iDevices and a Fire, and having tried a Nook, I'd say they're all reasonably easy to use, and I'm lazy at learning tech; I basically want something to work nearly out of the box. But some people seem to struggle even with what seem like basic things on easy devices. I'm not sure how much easier they will get.

They don't have to get much easier as young people grow up with them. I've seen kids who know how to use touch devices long before they can walk, and I mean use them, like they know that tapping a certain spot will yield a specific result. So it's unlikely that many of the next generation will be stumped like some of us are now.

Ive seen little kids do the same thing....I dont know if its scary or a good thing. :D

As for other tabelts, the more the merrirer as far as the consumer is concerned. The quality goes up and the prices go down with competition so bring it on!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
Ive seen little kids do the same thing....I dont know if its scary or a good thing. :D

As for other tabelts, the more the merrirer as far as the consumer is concerned. The quality goes up and the prices go down with competition so bring it on!

Yes, I remember an 800.00 VCR back in the day lmao!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I remember an 800.00 VCR back in the day lmao!!

My mum is super cheap, and I remember my siblings and I being astounded when she spent way more than $800 on a VCR when we were kids. Now you'll see DVD players for 25 to 30 bucks in some stores. I don't know how well they work, but I've seen decorative toilet plungers that cost more than those DVD players, lol.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
My mum is super cheap, and I remember my siblings and I being astounded when she spent way more than $800 on a VCR when we were kids. Now you'll see DVD players for 25 to 30 bucks in some stores. I don't know how well they work, but I've seen decorative toilet plungers that cost more than those DVD players, lol.

Wow, no we didn't get the 800.00 VCR lol!!!

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the more tablets out there will make any difference. The cream will just wise to the top! The more competition, the better for everyone.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Eelectronics are very much throw-away items these days. I remember how shocked and appaled my mother was when we tossed out her early-gen DVD player when it broke. She couldnt believe we werent going to have it fixed. Im like "Ma - new ones are $69.99.... ya dont fix this stuff, you heave it into the garbage". Hilarious.

Most reactions

Latest posts