What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raft of cheaper tablets cheapening the iPad experience?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
One of my co-workers returned his Fire and said he's going to break down and buy an iPad even though he doesn't like Apple's business practices, because he wants a tablet that works well.

Why doesn't he like Apple's business practices? Just curious.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
If you liked IBM in 1971, you'll love Apple in 2011.

I didn't know what IBM was in 1971, I was 7 lmao.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know what IBM was in 1971, I was 7 lmao.

Suffice to say that many of us who were working with computers in 1971 were more than happy to see IBM's stranglehold on the industry broken by Microsoft and Apple. Sadly, but predictably, Apple has followed exactly the same closed architecture strategy that IBM was forced to abandon. Happily, Apple has never managed to achieve the market dominance of IBM that would enable the firm to enforce its approach as IBM once did. It's always amusing to see so many Apple fans hoping to see Apple achieve that dominance. They should be careful what they wish for.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Suffice to say that many of us who were working with computers in 1971 were more than happy to see IBM's stranglehold on the industry broken by Microsoft and Apple. Sadly, but predictably, Apple has followed exactly the same closed architecture strategy that IBM was forced to abandon. Happily, Apple has never managed to achieve the market dominance of IBM that would enable the firm to enforce its approach as IBM once did. It's always amusing to see so many Apple fans hoping to see Apple achieve that dominance. They should be careful what they wish for.

Exactly, thanks for the explanation.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agreed. That's why I'd really like to see Android (and others) step up more. It never works to consumers' advantage when a marketplace is dominated by a few (or even fewer) companies. It seems that successful companies inevitably throw their weight around, at our expense.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it comes to buying apps I have to say that I can't see much difference, as far convenience is concerned, between the iWorld and Android. All you need is a Google account.

The same goes for eBooks, I can read my Amazon purchases on either the iPad or Android any time I choose.

There is actually a plethora of apps and admittedly more to be concerned about with regard to security. Just as with the AppStore there is a lot of rubbish, probably more, with a core of quality apps, in fact many of the quality aps that you find in the AppStore are also to be found in the Android Market.

As for music, I tend to rip mine (mostly classical) from CDs that I had had for years so I can't comment on that.

I meant that data security risks are essentially an inconvenience for users. If someone swipes my credit card info from my iTunes account or my Android device, guess who's going to be inconvenienced?

All my music and movies are ripped, my books are backed up, and I could rebuy apps. But I consider security a big selling point for any device or service involving financial data, personal info, etc. I'm exploring Android apps now via Kindle Fire, but the Amazon app store is a curated environment.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:

If those of you who have the BBC iPlayer App haven't seen it yet, have a look at the documentary about Steve Jobs/Apple that was on TV here in the UK this week called "Billion Dollar Hippy" it covers all of this stuff and makes for an interesting hours TV watching.

FWIW, I'm an unashamed Apple fanboy but I am a firm believer that there is a place in the market for all the different makes and models of the great technology out there. If there wasn't any competition then there would not be great (IMHO) Apple products being developed. Each to his own, it's not for me to put down someone else's choice of computer/phone/tablet/etc.

In terms of the actual title of this thread I really think its pointless, here is why.....

Does a Chevy cheapen the Ferrari experience? Does a cheap suit cheapen the Armani experience? Does a trailer cheapen the penthouse apartment experience? Does mickey d's cheapen the 2 star Michelin restaurant experience.......surely the answer can only be no? I think without cheaper products/services in any field how would you know that a luxury product or service is luxurious? But......and here is the thing......luxurious doesn't always mean better!

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About the title of the thread: I'd say more tablets do cheapen the iPad experience if you bought your iPad hoping to elevate your status. Maybe you get an ego trip out of owning one. But status objects depend on the eye of the beholder. Just because you see an item as a status object doesn't mean others will, too. If others aren't impressed, it doesn't matter what you hoped for (unless you're delusional maybe, lol).

So if you're hoping to impress with an iPad, you pretty much need to hang out with a crowd that can't afford one or otherwise get hold of one (and they'd actually have to want one). In those type of surroundings, you better make sure yours doesn't get stolen or otherwise taken from you, lol.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
About the title of the thread: I'd say more tablets do cheapen the iPad experience if you bought your iPad hoping to elevate your status. Maybe you get an ego trip out of owning one. But status objects depend on the eye of the beholder. Just because you see an item as a status object doesn't mean others will, too. If others aren't impressed, it doesn't matter what you hoped for (unless you're delusional maybe, lol).

So if you're hoping to impress with an iPad, you pretty much need to hang out with a crowd that can't afford one or otherwise get hold of one. In those type of surroundings, you better make sure yours doesn't get stolen or otherwise taken from you, lol.

Well that puts owners into a couple of brackets, I, for example, being a dedicated fanboy have a house full of Apple kit but you'll rarely see me using any of it in public, I'm a fanboy because I like Apples stuff but I couldn't give two hoots what others think, as it's for my personal use and enjoyment. Those who know me would only know that I am a fanboy if they came into my home.

Then there are those who want to be seen with it, those are the same types who buy expensive brand clothing with the labels on the outside! To be honest, are they cheapening the brands or themselves?

Other brands could only cheapen the iPad if they become more luxurious and lusted after.....but even then I'm not certain if it would cheapen the iPad. A Chevy doesn't cheapen a Ferrari.....but then I'm not certain that a Bugatti cheapens a Ferrari either......that my 2 cents anyway!

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that puts owners into a couple of brackets, I, for example, being a dedicated fanboy have a house full of Apple kit but you'll rarely see me using any of it in public, I'm a fanboy because I like Apples stuff but I couldn't give two hoots what others think, as it's for my personal use and enjoyment. Those who know me would only know that I am a fanboy if they came into my home.

Then there are those who want to be seen with it, those are the same types who buy expensive brand clothing with the labels on the outside! To be honest, are they cheapening the brands or themselves?

Other brands could only cheapen the iPad if they become more luxurious and lusted after.....but even then I'm not certain if it would cheapen the iPad. A Chevy doesn't cheapen a Ferrari.....but then I'm not certain that a Bugatti cheapens a Ferrari either......that my 2 cents anyway!

The Archangel

If you don't take your stuff out of your house, you're probably not trying to impress (unless you're dragging in people to see you stuff, lol).

Undoubtedly, some people do try to impress, but it's an internal-external thing. You can try, but fail, to impress others, for instance.

It also depends on the person and his own circumstances, not just the item. If Bill Gates drives a luxury car, is he trying to impress, or is it an item that might impress others, but for him is just an affordable ride?

Surroundings matter, too. In my workplace, a lot of people have iPads. No one is impressed. Maybe if they took their iPads to a third world country, they'd pull a crowd.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to offer a different perspective on the subject of this discussion "Raft of cheaper tablets cheapening the iPad experience"... IMHO:
(1) a raft of alternative tablets is great as it has potential to raise the bar in terms of functionality competition... i.e. Will push Apple to innovate more to keep the iPad ahead of the market and hence our iPads will get better and better.
(2) Apple will never go down-market... it's not in their DNA to do that... they'll always stay at the top end of the price positioning, but will differentiate by superior functionality... i.e. the alternative cheaper tablets wont cheapen the iPad experience but instead push Apple to enhance it.

Basically... competition is good... and in the case of Apple products leads to better products and improved experience rather than cheaper prices/experience. I personally feel really good about owning and using Apple handheld products and I hope the significant level of competition we're now starting to experience from Android, Windows Phone 7, alternative hardware, etc keeps on into the longer term as it'll keep Apple on their toes to continue to make their fantastic competitor-beating products even better and better.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those who know me would only know that I am a fanboy if they came into my home.

I know I know! And I have never been to your house. Yet.

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-018.gif

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Illogical. If Apple were the reason for my purchase of an iPad, I would've bought an Apple laptop and PC long ago.

Exaactly. I've been a PC/Windows person since the beginning of Windows--for better or worse LOL. I never wanted anything Apple until i got my Ipod, then Touch and knew I'd like and use the Ipad but had no idea hiw extensively. I still have only PCs BTW but understand the appeal of Macs now.

Most reactions

Latest posts