What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad loses market share in UK as shoppers choose cheaper tablets

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called it hard working and saving for something. Not all of us receive iPads as gifts, but save up for it. So no, not all of us are "spoiled brats!" Just saying...;)

Just a figure of speech. I meant that not everyone can just toss $500 bucks at what's essentially a toy. I worked for what I have in life too. I hear ya. :)

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apple is not for mass market, people who buy apples are happy to pay extra and get great service, rich eco system and fantastic re sale value, all these virtues and experience makes apple cheaper. The Cheap tablet buyers are all apple wannabes but cannot afford the real deal, and apple don't need these people either as in make cheaper tablets, let some one serve this low end market. Apple may have a small share in the overall market in terms of unit numbers, but when looked at profit, Apple wins hands down over the cheaper tablet makers and apple uses that profit for R&D for better future products. Microsoft, although not cheap tablet maker, screwed up with surface 1 which is a $900 million loss, and the surface 2 will take that loss over the $ billion mark. Apple don't have such headaches, and even proves the point that less(market share) is more (profit).

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
apple is not for mass market, people who buy apples are happy to pay extra and get great service, rich eco system and fantastic re sale value, all these virtues and experience makes apple cheaper. The Cheap tablet buyers are all apple wannabes but cannot afford the real deal, and apple don't need these people either as in make cheaper tablets, let some one serve this low end market. Apple may have a small share in the overall market in terms of unit numbers, but when looked at profit, Apple wins hands down over the cheaper tablet makers and apple uses that profit for R&D for better future products. Microsoft, although not cheap tablet maker, screwed up with surface 1 which is a $900 million loss, and the surface 2 will take that loss over the $ billion mark. Apple don't have such headaches, and even proves the point that less(market share) is more (profit).

Actually, Apple sells an awful lot of tablets so they really are for the mass market. I wouldn't say all cheap tablet buyers are wannabes either. Some people just don't need a $500 dollar tablet since it would be overkill. To listen to a few songs, read a few emails or whatever doesn't require an expensive tablet. Just like not everyone needs a BMW and can get by with the Ford. The Ford gets the job done even though the BMW experience may be better overall. Something like that.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The tablet market is moving at a fast pace all over the world, and Apple’s iPad has always been seen as the king of the hill. But now, new data from IDC shows that iPad is losing its market share in the United Kingdom, as shoppers orient themselves towards cheaper tablets as gifts for the holiday season.

According to Francisco Jeronimo, research director for the analysts at IDC, 2013 was the year of the tablet as 7.6 million tablets were shipped to the UK in the first three quarters of the year, which represents a year-on-year growth of 192% for the same period in 2012. The average sale price was $407, generating around $3 billion in sales. The same report says that 38% of the sales were Apple's iPad, but tablets powered by Google's Android software won 56% of the market. Jeronimo added the following:

Besides popular tablets like Google’s Nexus 7, other surprising tablets have managed to garner many sales. Retailer Tesco has launched its Hudl tablet for £119 (around $195), which has managed to undercut the competition including the iPad, Nexus 7 and even Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet models. Tesco managed to sell 300,000 Hudl units in the first two months after launch. The same analyst explains the advantages of cheaper Android tablets.

What do you think about this? Will this trend continue in other countries besides the UK or Apple will manage to maintain the crown of the tablet market with its iPad?

Source: Guardian

I think focusing on market share as a percentage is totally misleading. when a company has 1% of market and grows to 2% wow, 100% growth ... still is a fraction of the total market. Media reporters focus on attention getting titles, just to get page reads ... just a bunch of mocking birds IMHO. A lot of attention is based on initial purchase price. It is always an issue, but I feel we get what we are willing to pay for. The software development cycle with Apple, Inc. is superb ... No other company does a better job. Security is a big issue ... Android is trouble, and less than 2% of all android devices can even use the latest developed software OS.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a fact that lower prices will attract gift givers (especially during holiday times) ... Apple has never chased the low cost marketplace. There probably needs to be more than one broad category while lumps all products other than smartphones together. Even e-book readers are included. The entire marketplace seems to be reorienting toward consumption type usage (surfing the net, reading, some gaming, and entertainment ... movies, and music.Organizers, office like functions, an outstanding camera.Apple jumped the entire technical field with 64 bit technology. They are looking to take over the enterprise/commercial opportunities.I doubt Apple is really focused on media reporting, and rumorville. They are usually far off base. Most tech writers are looking for sensationalism and page reads. I hardly pay attention to rumors and speculations any more. I can wait til the actual products are available and get reviewed by experts like Anandtech.com Most reviews add price vs the real technical merits. I and many others feel that we get what we pay for. Excellence, not cheap.

Most reactions

Latest posts