What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question re: 2nd ipad

rag1247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the wifi version on 4/3 and now it appears I will be receiving the 3g version on 4/30 -

when i activate the 3g version, will it automatically download all apps loaded to the first wifi model, paid or free to the new 3g version, at no additional cost.

thanks

richard
ft lauderdale

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question..
I am not that familiar with how the ITunes account works on multiple/alternate devices either.

I am in the same situation.
When I get my 3G, my wife, will get this 16k/wifi.

She will not want some of these apps, and I will want them all on my 3G.

When you get a new Itunes/AppStore device, how can you share, or move?
Only possible with new account? or what?
Someone here must have expertise, or have links to this.

How does it work, you ITunes veterans??

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can activate 5 devices for use with one iTunes account.

We share apps within my family, yet there is some of that family that also has their own iTunes accounts for other devices. The iPhones are the ones we share the apps across.

Just be careful once you reach all five device activations, you can only update make changes once every so many months without contacting Apple, even then they most often require you to have phone support on a mobile device to even begin working with you to make account changes when you use them up for example.

You can often check the computers with the iTunes account, looking under the Store menu item, then Authorize or DeAuthorize computer.

You can install apps using an iTunes account on one device, then on another device using the same account, just download the same app again which will be free. Or you can do it the hard way and copy the apps from device to device or computer. Again this is only available across 5 devices/computers.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So ...

If I read that correctly,
Any app you buy, can be installed, and used on several devices?
At the same time? (from the same Itunes account)

Are there exceptions to this?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stever said:
So ...

If I read that correctly,
Any app you buy, can be installed, and used on several devices?
At the same time? (from the same Itunes account)

Are there exceptions to this?

No however some applications designed for iPhone only like gps etc may not install on wifi only devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is NO device limit on an itunes account, you can have unlimited ipads, iphones, pods whatever all on the same itunes account. The only limit is a max of 5 computers can share one itunes account. Any devices that share the same account have access to all the apps that they are capable of running with no additional fee.

I'm currently sharing 5 ipods, 2 iphones, an ipod touch and an ipad on my account. Soon to add a second ipad.

The only exception might be the subscription for AT&T navigator app, because there is a 9.99 monthly charge by AT&T for it. But I only use it on my iphone, not my husbands so I'm not totally sure. Haven't tested putting it on his iphone. But since it's itemized on my iphones bill, I think you pay per phone.

As for how do you set it up, you sync the device with it's USB cable to your computer and register it to your itunes account, then sync it like usual. It will sync whatever you tell it to sync. It doesn't automatically sync what's on your other devices as each one is recognized and has it's own backup. You can also just download apps you already own on that account, directly on the device using the ipad app store application.

You can tell it to restore your new ipad from another backup if you want to, it will ask when you register it. That would load whatever content was sync'd on your last backup. I haven't tried it from an ipad backup, as I only have one right now, but it asked me if I wanted to restore my present ipad using my iphone backup ( which I did) when I first got it. So it probably will ask that with a second ipad also.

Last edited:

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. . .As for how do you set it up, you sync the device with it's USB cable to your computer and register it to your itunes account, then sync it like usual. It will sync whatever you tell it to sync. It doesn't automatically sync what's on your other devices as each one is recognized and has it's own backup. You can also just download apps you already own on that account, directly on the device using the ipad app store application. . . .
EX-cellent!
You anticipated my next question!

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is treated as a new device and you have to pick in iTunes, what you want it to sync.
The benefit of 3G is only, that you will have MobileMe, PushNotification and internet access where ever you are.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can sync it with your other device tho...when you first start it up just tell it to restore from your iPad profile it will make the new iPad identical to your WiFi iPad, settings, apps, music, everything that you set up to autosync on the Wifi iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts