What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question:Q:Use external mic + pencil- iPad Pro

Aziz_93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I use an iPad Pro 3 2018 to record lecture notes and write with Apple Pencil 2nd Gen - using the Explain Everything app!

I am now looking to get an external mic (either Blue Yeti or Shure MV5). Both of these are USB powered microphones. I understand the Shure MV5 can power up via iPad directly w/o usb power hub (unlike the Yeti).

Question is if I can use my Apple Pencil while the iPad is connected to an external mic and is potentially powering it? I normally find that the Apple pencil does not perform well while the iPad is connected to the power source.

Many thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Poor pencil performance when plugged in is usually the fault of the power supply or a poor electrical ground, or a combination of the two. Cheap third party power supplies are the most common issue.

Either way, the mic should not affect the pencil’s response. No guarantees, of course.

Most reactions

Latest posts