What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recording w/ iPad and external microphone

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone done any recording with their iPads?

There are numerous recording apps for the iPad, I am using one called Audionotes. I am trying to use an external microphone to increase the pickup. Unfortunately, I am getting a lot of BUZZZZZ instead of audio,

I've seen many comments online about buzz and external mics.

Have you used an external mic and experience this? Were you able to fix it? How did you do it?

Thank you,

Hal

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The microphone built into the Apple's headset works fine.

I've read, somewhere, about audio port microphones that work, and there are some that are designed to connect to the main port. The key is to get a mic that specifically says it's designed to work with a iDevice. Standard microphones don't work, or at least not well. The audio port on the iPad is not 100% standard. Though headphones work just fine, other stuff doesn't always match up well.

There is also this to consider. But as the article says, your milage may vary.
USB microphones work with the iPad! (New post) – Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The microphone built into the Apple's headset works fine.

I've read, somewhere, about audio port microphones that work, and there are some that are designed to connect to the main port. The key is to get a mic that specifically says it's designed to work with a iDevice. Standard microphones don't work, or at least not well. The audio port on the iPad is not 100% standard. Though headphones work just fine, other stuff doesn't always match up well.

There is also this to consider. But as the article says, your milage may vary.
USB microphones work with the iPad! (New post) – Andy Ihnatkos Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

"Supposably" the mic I have is supposed to work with my iPad. But thank you for the link, I will check it out!

Chapco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one that is built into headset by ifrogz, sound quality is very good, I use for voice recordings used for video narration, VoIP calls, webex meets... works great and sounds good from what others tell me on the other end of my calls.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are many options. Right now, I'm using this:

Amazon.com: Shure PG58-XLR Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable: Musical Instruments

with this:

Amazon.com: CableJive ProJive XLR Microphone Adapter for iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

This mic is such that one needs it close to his/her month. It cuts out background noise. Thus, it is not good if you want to get background vocals or things not directly in front mic. Also, the mic on the device is disabled.

Most reactions