What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for 16g owners

greyhulk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all going to come down to your personal usage patterns, but I have learned in the past that it's better to have too much than not enough. I have had every iPad to date. The first one, I ordered the 64 gig and always had plenty of space. When I ordered the iPad 2, I only got the 32 gig version and I was constantly out of space on it. I had to delete apps every time I wanted to get a new one. When I ordered the new iPad, i got the 64 again.

Some things to consider:

1) App size is much bigger for retina-optimized apps (in some cases double or triple the original size)
2) Pictures and Videos taken with the New iPad's camera will take up quite a bit of space.
3) Apps keep getting bigger and more complex. Some of the better games take 500 mb to 1gb of space.

My advice is to get the biggest one you can afford. The simple fact is, you can't upgrade the storage later, so it's better to have too much than not enough.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all going to come down to your personal usage patterns, but I have learned in the past that it's better to have too much than not enough. I have had every iPad to date. The first one, I ordered the 64 gig and always had plenty of space. When I ordered the iPad 2, I only got the 32 gig version and I was constantly out of space on it. I had to delete apps every time I wanted to get a new one. When I ordered the new iPad, i got the 64 again.

Some things to consider:

1) App size is much bigger for retina-optimized apps (in some cases double or triple the original size)
2) Pictures and Videos taken with the New iPad's camera will take up quite a bit of space.
3) Apps keep getting bigger and more complex. Some of the better games take 500 mb to 1gb of space.

My advice is to get the biggest one you can afford. The simple fact is, you can't upgrade the storage later, so it's better to have too much than not enough.

100% agree.

I had the original 64G Wifi iPad and never had more than 25G used so I thought I wouldn't ever need anything bigger than the 32G so my iPad 3 came in with 32G on the 16th.

I was happy as a clam till I ran out of space in just 4 days as I was experimenting with new apps and taking photos and creating movies. The $0.99 Modern Combat 3 itself is 1.05G.

And I haven't even got much of my music and DVD transferred. Based on the apps update experience, I got a feeling most of the new apps would get bigger as well not to mention graphic-intensive materials in 1080.

I somehow lured my sister into buying my 32G and I ordered myself a 64G. Now I am concerned that even a 64G may not be enough if I were to fully toying and exploring to its full potential.

Progress or greed, take your pick.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be common knowledge but the other thing I just noticed is that on the original iPad the photos take half the space of the 2 or the 3 for the very same directory.

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I'm not saying there is anything wrong with getting a larger capacity iPad if you think your going to use it. When I travel, I'm only somewhere I would use movies on my iPad for a short time. I understand if your on the road more or aren't around a computer or tv. I just find it easier to use streaming media, since I'm normally around a wifi hotspot or I just tether to my iPhone. I know everyone has there personal preference and that's just mine.

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul.J said:
Are the apps bigger in size as the new iPad has better screen hd

The apps that have been updated to take advantage of the new screen are a little bigger, but there not double the size or anything. Yet at least because I'm sure apps will get bigger because they will add more too them not just improve graphics.

OP
bryanpog

bryanpog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank u guys very much. After reading through all ur opinions I took it back and am the proud owner of the 32g. Thanks alot for the input and opinions. U guys and gals are all great!

-bryan

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a 32GB wifi/3G model which is more than sufficient for my needs. I have read that apps update to support the retina display of the new iPad are much larger files. Will 32GB still be fine? I play a few game, read and use the Internet for the most part plus watch TV shows and movies. I do not keep a lot of video stored on the unit. The 64GB model hits close to $1000 USD when taxes are added.

OP
bryanpog

bryanpog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul.J said:
How many GB was available to use on 16gb version

It was just under 14. Like 13.72 or something I believe.

Sent from my iPad 32g (3rd Generation) using iPF

Qwho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was sure i was getting the 64 gb model until the last second, got the 16, and figure what with keeping stuff in the cloud and on my desktop, using dropbox to move stuff back and forth, it should be plenty, and saved $200 and got a great free app that lets me watch any movie on my desktop on my ipad, so no need to load any to ipad!

OP
bryanpog

bryanpog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paul.J said:
Is that on the new iPad

Yup. I had a 16g. It had dead pixels so when I took it back I grabbed the 32

Sent from my iPad 32g (3rd Generation) using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts