What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get 16g or 32g?

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a refurbished iPad 3 from Apple. My budget is really about $300 so I'm try to scrap up about another $100 to get a 16g refurbished one to my door. My only problem is that I saw a video where someone was comparing some iPads and said that the 16g on the iPad 3 is almost a waste of time because of the Retina display.

Is that true? Should I hold off and buy a 32g one? I'm not really sure how I will use the iPad. As of now I plan to mostly using it to read books/magazines, browse the web on my couch or in bed, store some pics to show to people, and occasionally let the kids play some games on it. I have a feeling that once I get it I'll end up using it for more things than I can think of right now. So I don't want to regret not waiting a little bit longer and stepping up to the 32g version.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Games are probably the main reason while space gets used up so quickly on ipad 3. Even though, lots of apps have gotten updated for retina screen too, but I would not say that 16GB is a waste of time. It really depends on how you use it and you won't really know until you get into this. It is not clear to me that the refurb iPad 3 will be availdable indefinitely, BTW. I'm sure apple will hold some back for replacements and such. So depending on how long you need to wait will have to factor in too.

For myself, I know without a doubt that I could function on 16GB, but then again, i'm a gadget freak. If you are not, then you might do just fine with 16Gb. Lots of folks have that model and get along just fine.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I bought my iPad 1, I didn't know how much memory I'd wind up using... I "split the difference" between 16 Gig and 64 Gig and picked up a 32 Gig model.

I don't regret it.. Two years later, I have 539 Songs, 22 short home made videos, 239 photos and 65 apps.. (No games). This all takes up just under 10 Gigs and I still have 19.2 Gigs free...

I could have got away with a 16 GB iPad.. When I upgrade in the next year or so, I'll be considering 16 GB.... Note that I have a 3G model and mostly use the iPad for mobile web access, (browsing, streaming etc)...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big is best. 64 would be even better.

Mine is 16, but I also have a 16Gb iPhone, so I split the workload.

Joanne26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to watch video in YouTube ,,but now I can't watch anymore video at all..what's seems to be the problem..

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
get 32g although still not enough especially for me cause i play games and i put half season of FRIENDS season 7 (the best season for me and willing to watch over and over again) in mp4 format which is only 16 episodes and already took about 2gb memory then also my musics and video clips and those free videos of episodes from itunes and i still feel thirsty for more space and already use icloud and dropbox but we cant rely on the connection of course:thumbs:

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
64 is the way to go, you can never have enough.

Most reactions