What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of Questions - Memory and upgrade

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 16GB that serves me well just as it is. I avoid upgrades unless I see an advantage to avoid problems...
Something I wanted to do the other day would not work and a message said I needed to upgrade my version for it to work. I have 7.0.6. When I went to upgrade I did not have enough memory - Ithink it said I needed 4.9G to upgrade and I had about 3 G. I removed some photos and music and now have over 5G. Should I upgrade it or not and what would it do to my remaining memory realizing I have a 16G tablet???

Next question - when I look at my ICloud, there is a lot of stuff there. Is there an easy simple way to look at an inventory of what is there and work with it... My free 5G is about used up and I would like to go in and permanently delete some things there but I cannot figure how to do it on my iPad. Using my iPad2 is there a way to access the cloud and look at an inventory of what is there and work on it... If there is, I need a directions for dummies because I cannot figure it out...
Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 16GB that serves me well just as it is. I avoid upgrades unless I see an advantage to avoid problems...
Something I wanted to do the other day would not work and a message said I needed to upgrade my version for it to work. I have 7.0.6. When I went to upgrade I did not have enough memory - Ithink it said I needed 4.9G to upgrade and I had about 3 G. I removed some photos and music and now have over 5G. Should I upgrade it or not and what would it do to my remaining memory realizing I have a 16G tablet???

Next question - when I look at my ICloud, there is a lot of stuff there. Is there an easy simple way to look at an inventory of what is there and work with it... My free 5G is about used up and I would like to go in and permanently delete some things there but I cannot figure how to do it on my iPad. Using my iPad2 is there a way to access the cloud and look at an inventory of what is there and work on it... If there is, I need a directions for dummies because I cannot figure it out...
Thanks.
If you connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer to do the upgrade, you don't need that 4.9GB of storage capacity freed up. If you do the upgrade OTA, it won't affect the remaining storage. Almost all of the needed storage is freed up after the upgrade is completed.

To check out what you have backed up in iCloud, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage and you will see a list of everything backed up to iCloud. You can go through the list and delete any items you wish.

To delete an item, tap on it then tap on the edit button at the top right, then tap the delete all button on the next page.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I knew I could get to the "manage storage" there --- But when I go to the cloud like you suggest, it just gives me a list of the different apps and a switch to turn them off and on and a note on the amount of storage used. For instance it will let me see how much storage is used with photos butI cannot see a way to delete some photos from the cloud and leave others there - if I am making sense.
Also is there a reason to go to the 8 whatever version when I am happy with 7.0.6 that I have now??. Thank you for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The switches are under Backups, and affect what does and does not get backed up. It will affect the size of your backup in iCloud, so it does have an affect, after the next backup. If the backup does not get smaller after you've turned off some apps (and done a backup) you may need to delete the old backup and create a new one.

Under Documents and Data (one screen back from the backup switches), you will see a list of apps that use iCloud space (other than backups). As scifan57 said, you can select and delete content from there. Be sure you really want it gone. There is no turning back from deleting it, other than restoring your entire iPad from the last backup (if that app is enabled for backups).

Photos are deleted in the Photo app. There is no separate way to delete them from iCloud. The Camera Roll is entirely on the iPad, and only gets to iCloud if you have Photos & Camera turned on the the backups.

Images in Photo Stream are deleted from iCloud when you delete them on your device. However, there is no reason to delete these to save iCloud storage space. Photo Stream does not count towards your iCloud storage limit. Neither do Shared Photo Streams, if you are using them.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library (beta) then your Camera Roll is stored in iCloud and does count against your storage limit. Deleting them in the Photos app also deletes them from the iCloud Photo Library. To remove them from iCloud you need to delete them twice. Once from the Camera Roll (or Photos) view, and again in the Recently Deleted album.

The Recently Deleted album can be cleared in a couple taps. Tap the Select button, the the Delete All button. If you actually select any photos the Delete All button is replaced by a Delete button.

That's probably more info than you needed, at least about photos.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The switches are under Backups, and affect what does and does not get backed up. It will affect the size of your backup in iCloud, so it does have an affect, after the next backup. If the backup does not get smaller after you've turned off some apps (and done a backup) you may need to delete the old backup and create a new one.

Under Documents and Data (one screen back from the backup switches), you will see a list of apps that use iCloud space (other than backups). As scifan57 said, you can select and delete content from there. Be sure you really want it gone. There is no turning back from deleting it, other than restoring your entire iPad from the last backup (if that app is enabled for backups).

Photos are deleted in the Photo app. There is no separate way to delete them from iCloud. The Camera Roll is entirely on the iPad, and only gets to iCloud if you have Photos & Camera turned on the the backups.

Images in Photo Stream are deleted from iCloud when you delete them on your device. However, there is no reason to delete these to save iCloud storage space. Photo Stream does not count towards your iCloud storage limit. Neither do Shared Photo Streams, if you are using them.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library (beta) then your Camera Roll is stored in iCloud and does count against your storage limit. Deleting them in the Photos app also deletes them from the iCloud Photo Library. To remove them from iCloud you need to delete them twice. Once from the Camera Roll (or Photos) view, and again in the Recently Deleted album.

The Recently Deleted album can be cleared in a couple taps. Tap the Select button, the the Delete All button. If you actually select any photos the Delete All button is replaced by a Delete button.

That's probably more info than you needed, at least about photos.
This is amazing!!! You folks are just great.
I learned that I cannot do exactly what I want, but can do a trip around it...I do not understand how you ever keep all the knowledge you have on this stuff inside your head.
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedules and typing an answer for me. I honestly don't know how you do it. If it was not for your help, I would have long ago been very frustrated with the iPad and it's operation.
They have you to thank for the fact that my new tablet purchase will be another bigger iPad when the time comes. I think now I need a primer or iCloud for dummies. Thanks again for your time. I appreciate it as I am sure many others do also.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

It's just a matter of accumulation. Some of us have been on the forum for a few years. You learn more that way than you can by yourself, even with a good manual. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts