What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the ipad wall charger.

Radiatorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what kind of car charger do you have that recharges your iPad? Does it recharge very slowly or at the same rate?

fastabulla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, why does the in-store Apple reps tell me that I should not use the ipad charger for the iPhone? volts are the same, just more watts required for the ipad, no? Anyway, they told me it would create a "long term" problem with my 3g. I got one of the umba chargers that has a port for the ipad and a port for everything else just to cma. It work perfect and I can charge both ipad and iphone off one charger.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They were telling you that because of two reasons.

1. They are idiots if they really believed that charging an iPhone with an iPad AC adapter would damage the iPhone.

and the biggest reason....

2. They wanted to try to sell you something.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the 10w charger to charge any other USB devices like say ps3 gamepads?

fastabulla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad iphone umba

Yeah, thats prolly why, they were just trying to sell me more crap. But, the upside is I bought the Umba and now I can simultaneously charge the ipad and iphone on one device insted of charging them one after another or using two chargers. So, no worries....

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problems with the charger getting warm. I know the bigger charger is for my iPad but does the cable wire the same?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just A quick addition:

The charger will get warm, in fact quite hot. Don't use a dock extender when charging, I tried this to lengthen the cable seeing as Apple are less than generous with the supplied ite.

It took nearly 9 hours to charge, without the dock extender, 3.5 hours :)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, they told me it would create a "long term" problem with my 3g.

Unless they can specifically cite what kind of "long term problems", I wouldn't be too bothered. I've used both iPod and iPad chargers interchangeably with both kinds of devices, and no issues that I've ever encountered (in the "short term", anyway.)

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad charger for everything that can plug into usb, I have never had any problems with it, also I use a 6 foot usb extension cable while iphone is charging with it and works just fine, been 8 months now and still working.

Last edited:

Most reactions