What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about cellular operation on the iPad 2

anderdea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed up for the Verizon 2GB cellular service.
Q1: does the iPad automatically switch to WiFi when using the WiFi system in my home or do I have to go and select it under the WiFi settings?
Q2: Verizon assigned me a 10 digit phone number. What is this used for? Is it to contact Verizon or a phone number assigned to me to use?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will need to go to the Wi-Fi settings and select your home network the first time. The iPad will automatically detect and use Wi-Fi networks that you've used before, and when it is connected it will use them instead of 3G. In some circumstances you may manually remove your home networks settings, or they may get lost some other way. In that case you will just reconnect again.

If you have the Ask to Join option on, then anytime you are near a new network (and not already connected) the iPad will ask you if you want to join it. I find it annoying, so I leave it off.

If you see the Wi-Fi icon at the top left of the screen, you are connected to and using a Wi-Fi network. If you see 3G, you are using 3G. Look there if you are in doubt and don't feel like going through settings.

The phone number is how Verizon identifies your account. Other than communicating with them about your account, there is nothing you can do with it. It won't receive or send calls, SMS, or any of the other typical phone services.

Last edited:

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough response twerppoet!:)

Would turning on Airplane mode also keep the iPad from checking for a 3G network?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turning on Airplane mode turns off all the radios, Wi-Fi, cellular, and bluetooth. So, yes, it will prevent the use of 3G, and Wi-Fi too.

It's called airplane mode because many airlines require you to turn off your cell phone and wireless devices.

OP
A

anderdea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. That's the way I was lead to believe it's suppose to work. However this is the way it actually worked after I signed up for cellular. After the cellular was authorized, I walked far enough from my house to see the Verizon Cellular kick in. Fine so far. When I went back into my house and the same room my router is in, the WiFi didn't pick up. It was still verizon. I went to a site and then looked at usage, it had increased. I had to go into settings and turn off the cellular, and WiFi took over. I, and other people with the iPad 2's have been experiencing WiFi connectivity losses for no reason. There are posts in this forum discussing the issue. No one including Apple seems to have an answer. I'm wondering if it's related to this issue and is why it won't reconnect. I've seen this phenomenon happen at other locations I've been at a where I loose WiFi. It still shows the connected router in the settings but no internet. Some times I have to reboot the iPad to get the WiFi come back. I'm not happy!

Last edited:

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anderdea said:
Thanks for the update. That's the way I was lead to believe it's suppose to work. However this is the way it actually worked after I signed up for cellular. After the cellular was authorized, I walked far enough from my house to see the Verizon Cellular kick in. Fine so far. When I went back into my house and the same room my router is in, the WiFi didn't pick up. It was still verizon. I went to a site and then looked at usage, it had increased. I had to go into settings and turn off the cellular, and WiFi took over. I, and other people with the iPad 2's have been experiencing WiFi connectivity losses for no reason. There are posts in this forum discussing the issue. No one including Apple seems to have an answer. I'm wondering if it's related to this issue and is why it won't reconnect. I've seen this phenomenon happen at other locations I've been at a where I loose WiFi. It still shows the connected router in the settings but no internet. Some times I have to reboot the iPad to get the WiFi come back. I'm not happy!

Wow! That is good to know. I would describe your issue on the Apple discusion boards to see what type of answer you get. If you do, please post back if you hear anything.

At the very least, we can hope that this issue is resolved in a future iOS release.

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't speak to Verizon, but I have the AT&T 3G/WiFi iPad2, and it works exactly as it should. When I come into WiFi range, it drops 3G and goes WiFi. If I go away, it switches back to 3G. Nothing to do, it just happens automatically. Maybe Verizon does it somehow differently?

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon might have some sort of setting that doesnt allow the ipad to do it on its own. Why cant you speak with verizon?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain this is not normal behavior, even on a Verizon iPad. Unfortunately I can't think of anything that could be causing it.

If the iPad hasn't been restarted recently, that is worth a try, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Hold down the On/Off button until the red power off slider appears, and slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a few seconds, then hold the On/Off button down again until the Apple logo appears.

You could also try going to Settings >> General >> Reset, and choose Reset Network Settings. You'll have to manually join your home network again, but it might work better a second time around.

OP
A

anderdea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an update. I wouldn't give Verizon tech support the time of day! They typically only know about their phones. The Cellular set up on the iPad2 is so automated that I doubt I could get any type of a usable answer form them. The only reason I got the Verizon model was that ATT wasn't available at Best Buy (all sold out) the day they came out. Also I don't think Verizon is the issue. I have had WiFi dropped connection issues ever since I purchased it.

I talked to Apple National Service Center last night and they suggested I put the unit back to factory and then reinstall all the software via iTunes. They also, kind of said, that they were aware of an issue with the WiFi and said if the restore didn't fix the issue (and it didn't) the unit should be replaced. They didn't really say in so many words, "absolutely there is a hardware issue with the iPad2" but alluded to one.

I think my next move will be to get it replaced. I have a very nice skin on the back that I know they won’t pay me for. Also I hate the thought of having to set up a new unit from scratch. I’m not sure how the Apps Store ties into and associates my purchased software. Does the Apps Store associate the Ipad2 serial number with the purchased App?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anderdea - it is not a telephone number

it is a number assigned to you for billing purposes. You cannot use it like a telephone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
anderdea said:
As an update. I wouldn't give Verizon tech support the time of day! They typically only know about their phones. The Cellular set up on the iPad2 is so automated that I doubt I could get any type of a usable answer form them. The only reason I got the Verizon model was that ATT wasn't available at Best Buy (all sold out) the day they came out. Also I don't think Verizon is the issue. I have had WiFi dropped connection issues ever since I purchased it.

I talked to Apple National Service Center last night and they suggested I put the unit back to factory and then reinstall all the software via iTunes. They also, kind of said, that they were aware of an issue with the WiFi and said if the restore didn't fix the issue (and it didn't) the unit should be replaced. They didn't really say in so many words, "absolutely there is a hardware issue with the iPad2" but alluded to one.

I think my next move will be to get it replaced. I have a very nice skin on the back that I know they won’t pay me for. Also I hate the thought of having to set up a new unit from scratch. I’m not sure how the Apps Store ties into and associates my purchased software. Does the Apps Store associate the Ipad2 serial number with the purchased App?

Your apps are associated with the account, not the iPad. You won't have to pay for them again, and if they happen to get lost in the trasfer you can down load them again for free, same for books from the iBook Store. That is not true for music or movies.

Make sure you have everything synced and backed up in iTunes for easier recovery/setup of your new iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts