What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cellular service questions

timjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi to all,
i plan to buy an ipad4 cellular soon for travel...my main concern is internet connection...but i don't fully understand the cellular data choices...when you buy the device, do you have to determine at that time which cellular service you want to use?...if so, does that mean a sim card for the service will be preiinstalled?...if not, where do you get the sim card?...are you then locked into that service or can you switch to another service at any time?...if so, can you switch to any of the three services, att, verizon and sprint?...also, i noticed on the apple site a rundown of data service charges...verizon seems to be by far the best monthly deal with substantially more data at minimally higher cost than the others...is there any disadvantage to getting the verizon cellular service?...in general, what is the critical information anyone needs before making what appears to be an important decision on data service? ...i looked in the ipad user guide for iOS6 but couldn't find the answers to any of my questions in it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad belongs to you, and is yours to do with as you see fit. You can buy a data plan from whomever you please, and as many as you choose. There is nothing to stop you from having an AT&T plan in the US and a Rogers plan in Canada, if you so choose.

iPads are not locked to a carrier in the same way as subsidized phones.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
T

timjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevin, thanks...but i need more help...if you can buy a data plan from whomever, why do they ask you at the online apple store to select a data plan (choices are att, sprint, verizon) for your ipad4cellular before you get to the checkout?...is it because one of the two models is linked with att (model A1459) and the other model (A1460) is linked with sprint and verizon?...i attach the specs here to show the differences in the two models...the specs are significantly different but for a layman like me it's impossible to interpret them.

• Model A1459*
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • LTE (Bands 4 and 17)
  • Model A1460*
    • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on shaky ground myself, but I believe the Verizon model contains proprietary hardware, so if you want Verizon, you need to specify that. Otherwise, you need the other model, which is also good for international use.

In Canada there is only one model, so I've not done any research in this area.

This only applies to cellular data. All models will work without a SIM on wifi networks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the U.S., iPads generally come with the SIM card inside the iPad. You pick the AT&T or Verizon model based on which carrier best serves the area(s) you frequent.

If you're also considering travel, look at coverage maps for both providers in the U.S., findable easily via Google.

Also, for overseas use:

Apple - iPad - View countries with supported LTE networks.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Attachments

• image-3301689203.jpg
    image-3301689203.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 683

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thing to consider when selecting a provider is the physical coverage... In some areas one carrier will do better than others. Consider this for your home location and places you frequent (such as your favorite holiday spot).. ATT and Verizon have coverage maps online so you can get a rough idea of who's best.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted a post you started today on this question. If you have more concerns about selecting an iPad carrier, please re-address them here, don't start another thread. Having duplicate threads not only fragments the conversation and confuses the issue - it's against our rules.

Please keep any updates or follow-ups about this issue to this thread and don't start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

OP
T

timjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i look at the specs for the att and verizon ipad4 models, both have the same specs for GSM...(GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) ...does that mean either model would work equally well in canada and overseas where GSM is widely available?...also, is GSM synonymous with 3G?

I've stuck with GSM partly because where I travel most overseas uses GSM more. When I go, I just buy a local SIM card, and I'm good to go.

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The short answer is yes. The Vz model will work with CDMA. It also has the full spectrum of GSM/EDGE frequncies supported. So, for the US citizen who wants the broadest LTE (4G) coverage in the US, but also wants the ability to travel overseas and roam on the GSM networks there, the Vz option is the better option. ATT's 4G coverage is less developed in the US.

destined2lead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an A1460 iPad (4th Generation w/Retina Display) designed for Verizon Wireless. I was able to successfully take the VZW sim card out, replace with the T-Mobile SIM that was in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and connect to T-Mobile's network. I could only get 3G speeds due to the difference in 4G LTE frequencies but for my basic on-the-go needs, this will work just fine for me. Hope this helps anyone who was curious.

rodan62052

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an A1460 iPad (4th Generation w/Retina Display) designed for Verizon Wireless. I was able to successfully take the VZW sim card out, replace with the T-Mobile SIM that was in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and connect to T-Mobile's network. I could only get 3G speeds due to the difference in 4G LTE frequencies but for my basic on-the-go needs, this will work just fine for me. Hope this helps anyone who was curious.

I called tmobile and Tmobile claims than the only iPhone thatnwill get actual 4g service over their lines is the actual Tmobile IPhone. Trying any other unlocked iPhone with a Tmobile SIM card will only Be able to acquire 3G at best.

Most reactions

Latest posts