What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with applications syncing and working

Suec292

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new to the world of iPad and getting frustrated. Got an iPad as a present (yes, lucky me). It was bought in Singapore and preloaded with a number of applications. Was presented with it a few days ago and in trying to sync with my current PC and iTunes have hit a few snags. Couldn't figure out how to get the apps from iPad to iTunes but most were free so reloaded the ones I wanted and then deleted the others off the iPad. I now find that I can't sync the current load of apps from iTunes to iPad - they show up on the PC iPad connection but not on the actual unit, if that makes sense. Also the majority of apps on the iPad don't work. I tap to start but I just get returned to the screen. Any and all help appreciated. Cheers :confused:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
welcome on board I am in Brisbane

Frankly I would do a restore as I think the previous person registered the ipad in his or her name so as far as Apple is concerned you are not the owner To restore connect the ipad to Computer open itunes and once mounted select restore If you do not sync it will create a new account you then need to register via itunes set up the new account under your name and start over with Applications

Also the crashing sounds like a problem with memory on the ipad.You could also before you do all this hold down the home button and off button until the Apple logo shows this is a hard reset.

Also check that when the ipad is mounted select applications on ipad and tick the applications you wish to sync. Best of luck

Colin Brisbane

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new to the world of iPad and getting frustrated. Got an iPad as a present (yes, lucky me). It was bought in Singapore and preloaded with a number of applications. Was presented with it a few days ago and in trying to sync with my current PC and iTunes have hit a few snags. Couldn't figure out how to get the apps from iPad to iTunes but most were free so reloaded the ones I wanted and then deleted the others off the iPad. I now find that I can't sync the current load of apps from iTunes to iPad - they show up on the PC iPad connection but not on the actual unit, if that makes sense. Also the majority of apps on the iPad don't work. I tap to start but I just get returned to the screen. Any and all help appreciated. Cheers :confused:

It sounds like you got a pre-used unit, as there are no apps that ship with the iPad. It's possible that your iPad is already associated with another account or might have been jailbroken or something. I suggest starting over from scratch (wipe the iPad like it is brand new).

Note the below instructions will start you over like an iPad direct from the factory. Normally for people who are having synch problems I don't recommend this, but it sounds like your unit was tampered with before you got it, so this is the best way to start fresh.

The only thing that might make the below not work is if you have a fake iPad or a KIRF. To verify that you do not before starting, visit this site:
Apple - Support - iPad - Service + Repair

Type in your iPad's serial number (found on your iPad by going to Settings -> General -> About) and click submit.

It may not be registered, but if the Apple site says it is an iPad, you should be ok.

Here is how:
Preparation:
- Have your computer ready with iTunes up and running.
- Have your iPad synch cable plugged into your computer but NOT your iPad (yet)
- Make sure your iPad is at least at 20% battery, preferably higher

Steps:
- Sitting next to your computer, take your iPad (which should NOT be connected to your PC) and hold down the sleep button (on the top of the iPad) and the home button at the same time

- After about 10 seconds, the unit will power off (do not do anything when the "slide to power off" screen appears, just keep holding the buttons

- When the unit turns back on and you see the silver Apple appear on the screen, continue holding down the home button but release the sleep button and immediatly plug the iPad into your computer running iTunes

- You should see a symbol appear with a picture of a USB cable with an arrow pointing to the iTunes logo. iTunes will then say that it detected an iPad in recovery mode. Let iTunes restore the device. It will download a fresh copy of firmware, install it, and verify the SW.
NOTE: This may take a while, as iTunes needs to download about 500MB from the Apple server.

- After iTunes said that is successfully restored your device, you may get an error message saying the iPad isn't recognized and you're still at the screen with the USB cable and iTunes logo on the iPad. Don't sweat it. Unplug the iPad from the computer. Power off the iPad by holding the sleep button until you see the "slide to power off" - go ahead and slide to power off. Once it is shut down, push the sleep button again until it powers on.

- the iPad might come back to the familiar USB cable to iTunes logo. When it does, just plug it back into your computer and iTunes will activate the iPad.

- Pick your synching options (apps, music, movies, etc, etc) and have a blast!

OP
S

Suec292

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Colin - I did exactly that - restored to factory settings then re-sync'd and it seems to be working fine now.

Most reactions