What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pro dropping external drive

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a new pro, 12.9 inch, 1 terabyte. I have hooked up a Seagate external HD that I have been using on my Mac. Works okay, but my iPad drops the connection randomly. Any thoughts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you powering the drive from the iPad’s USB-C port?

If so, try using the drive’s power supply (if it has one), or using a powered USB-C hub.

That’s all I can think of. I’ve only played with external drive support on my Pro a couple of times, using a hub and fairly standard USB flash-drive, so I’m no expert on what to expect.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you powering the drive from the iPad’s USB-C port?

If so, try using the drive’s power supply (if it has one), or using a powered USB-C hub.

That’s all I can think of. I’ve only played with external drive support on my Pro a couple of times, using a hub and fairly standard USB flash-drive, so I’m no expert on what to expect.

Thanks. I'll give your hub idea a shot!

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have been looking (on line) for a powered usbc hub and none explicitly say that the power can flow to my external hard drive attached to the usb3 port. Any ideas or recommendations?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can find the manufacture’s site, as opposed to sales sites, they might have a tech/spec sheet.

Other than that, USB-C has a standard. Here is the text from the Wikipedia article.

All USB-C cables must be able to carry a minimum of 3 A current (at 20 V, 60 W) but can also carry high-power 5 A current (at 20 V, 100 W).[9]USB-C to USB-C cables supporting 5A current must contain e-marker chips programmed to identify the cable and its current capabilities. USB Charging ports should also be clearly marked with capable power wattage.[10]

Though I said I use a hub, it is an unpowered one, so this is not an issue I’ve looked into.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Merci! As I understand things, there are dedicated channels for 5V power in a usb connector, so I assume any device connected can "feed" from it. But, strangely, it seems that an ssd storage device runs in the same price range as hub. And, I assume, would be less power hungry than a hard drive.

Most reactions