What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible end of 12.9 Ipad since 10.5???

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've only read of the possibility on one site, Macrumors, but since I love the 12.9 Pro and don't plan to upgrade this cycle, it did alarm me a bit LOL. I'll be interested in hearing from those that have ordered the 10.5"--Macrumors seemed to feel the 10.5 is 'just right'. Perhaps--I will look at one just for reference when they are available in stores. I have had a 9.7" since Ipad 1 and the 12.9 for all my needs is wonderful--and with IOS11 coming it will be the right device for almost all my needs. I do have a 15" Macbook and use it primarily with external drives so it will continue to be my 5-10% machine with the Ipad Pro being used for most everything else.

Looking forward to hearing from 10.5" owners if they feel it is "just right". I use split screen so much this is probably the biggest thing I will be interested in.

Diane

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since they updated the 12.9 inch Pro at the same time as the 10.5's release, it seems unlikely it will be discontinued.

The 9.7 inch iPad Pro has been discontinued.

I agree. It seems to me that the 10.5 and the 12.9 will be the 2 sizes going forward, unless the 12.9 tanks in sales. But Apple still has to wait a while on that because there may be a lot of iPad sales come late fall/early winter due to IOS 11 and the Christmas season. One of the MAIN reasons that I'm moving from a Surface to the IPP 12.9 is IOS 11.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looking at the reviews, the differences between the new 10.5" iPad Pro and the 12.9" iPad Pro models come down to this.

Size of screen and devices. Other than this all the hardware features appear to be identical.

So, it's going to come down to a portabilty vs better multitasking vs price issue.

Portabilty: Oviously the smaller iPad is easier to pack in a bag, carry around, and hold. The larger iPad gives you roomier keyboards, both software and hardware. (Unless you use a separate Bluetooth keyboard, in which case you can have any size you want.)

Multitasking: The smaller iPad Pro's side-by-side layout is only slightly better than the 9.7 model. At 50:50 your apps have two iPhone UI's. The 12.9" iPad Pro at 50:50 gives you two portrait iPad layouts. There was a lot of speculation that the 10.5" iPad Pro would give you two iPad Mini sized portrait UI's side by side. This turned out to not be the case.

Price: With the same memory and wi-fi/cellular configuration the 12.9" Pro costs about $150 more than the 10.5" Pro.

I was thinking the 10.5" Pro might be a better fit for me, but given the 'slighlty' less capable side-by-side view, I would stick with the 12.9" model: If was upgading this year, which I'm probably not. Anyone upgrading from a 9.7" iPad is probably going to be very pleased. Other than the substantial price jump, it's all plusses. For those considering downsizing from the 12.9", you'll have to give careful consideratoins to the trade-offs.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Going a step further I like the 12.9 because of my eyes and I just prefer to be able to see so the larger screen sure makes web pages and some apps much easier for me, especially around 9pm or 10pm when my eyes are tired and blurry! ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Going a step further I like the 12.9 because of my eyes and I just prefer to be able to see so the larger screen sure makes web pages and some apps much easier for me, especially around 9pm or 10pm when my eyes are tired and blurry! ;)

Also, reading magazines, graphic novels, or comics is way better on the big screen. You rarely have to zoom in to see the details. Though I admit to often setting it in a stand to avoid holding the iPad while reading. That, or sitting back and proping it on my substantial tummy. I suppose those without the benifit of a built in tummy prop could use a pillow.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You all came up with same reasons I have for the 12.9 over the 10.5. I have a friend who will receive the 10.5 today and has been using the 12.9 since it came out and it will be interesting to hear her comparison--on screen size only. Right now her reasoning is the same--the side by side for the 12.9 is still the better. She is replacing a gifted 9.7 with the 10.5 that she carries daily but prefers the 12.9 for other than easy mobility. I have even found my old Rickshaw bags that have a pocket in the front for an Ipad carry the 12.9 nicely in the middle of the bag and I use the front pocket for other items so I didn't even have to upgrade bags for the larger.

We will likely upgrade my husband's Ipad next time to the 10.5 but he doesn't use a Pencil, never uses side by side (SMH) and does like the mobility of the smaller footprint--but he does covet the big screen LOL.

I questioned Macrumors throwout suggestion the 12.9 would be discontinued in future as I think a lot of people will be drawn to the larger screen once IOS11 comes out. I have thought that my upgrade to the next 12.9 will be a good while in coming-likely 18 mos at least but do not see any reason to upgrade this cycle--so it did make me wonder if I should consider it at some point--if there is fear of it going away at some point. Hope not-a big fan here.

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
I was an early adopter of the 12.9 when originally release and I have to say I love it for daily use. It's all plusses except for the fatigue. It's not really meant to be held suspended in the air for a long period of time and can feel cumbersome when laying down and trying to type while holding it in the air.

BUT, the added screen size was enough of a tipping point for me to dump my iPad Air and go big. I'm really happy so far. IF I ended up buying a 10.5 it would be more as a replacement for my iPad Mini 4 which i also enjoy but find myself using it less and less as the performance difference is noticeable from my 12.9 to the mini. Great for portability, but not much else.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my humble opinion I have no disire for any iPad bigger than the mini. I personally think the mini is the perfect size for a iPad. I don't really see why anyone would want a 10.5 inch or a 12.9 screen. If you want bigger your probably better off with a laptop.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion I have no disire for any iPad bigger than the mini. I personally think the mini is the perfect size for a iPad. I don't really see why anyone would want a 10.5 inch or a 12.9 screen. If you want bigger your probably better off with a laptop.
Each to his own.

I've had the first generation iPad mini, and I didn't really like the size, so I sold it. I prefer larger screens.

If you've never tried one of the others, you won't know whether or not they are too big.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have never visited an iPad Mini forum. Why? Well because I don't own an iPad Mini or have the slightest desire to use one. And so for me to go there and talk about how small it is just doesn't make sense. This is probably just my opinion.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL, I must be one of the lazier 12.9 users. I never 'hold' it but rather use a case (like the Zugu-or even now the Logitech Slimcombo with or without the keyboard but the kickstand) that will sit in my lap set at an angle that will work for reading, viewing or writing with the Pencil. Of course they work fine on a table or desk too--but I did the same with all my 9.7"s also. Maybe its because I prefer using it landscape--I have only one app that requires portrait (that I recall) and its an entry app so isn't open too long. I will admit I no longer take the IPad to bed to read though-I found I could be easily distracted from reading so read in bed with a Kindle. A Mini would also be good for that--but still offer the ability to be distracted.

One of the things my friend who just received her 10.5 and compared to the 12.9 is that in mail only two panes can be viewed whereas 3 on the 12.9 (and for me who uses split screen constantly and will certainly even more with drag and drop in IOS 11 no contest). She likes the 10.5 for daily portability though in just a slipcase. Someone mentioned that if you like the big screen a better choice would be a laptop. I do have a 15" Macbook Pro but for me they are apples and oranges--the Ipad Pro is my device of choice about 90% or more. I just think its a personal decision but I'm counting on Apple to continue with 2 screen sizes since there are obviously fans of the bigger screen-hope there are enough of them.

BlingblingPeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also like the bigger screen size but I rarely use the pencil, would be nice if they made it lighter. (note I'm one of those that has zero arm muscle, can barely lift anything)

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a good point. I probably should not be posting here since I don't have a bigger iPad but I bet the bigger iPads are pretty heavy.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a good point. I probably should not be posting here since I don't have a bigger iPad but I bet the bigger iPads are pretty heavy.

Sorry for being so harsh! But yes they are heavy especially once you add a case. I'm beginning to believe the 10.5 just might be the sweet spot after all.

Most reactions