What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Hard Drive for 2018 Ipad Pro

Richard Taylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to get an external hard drive for my 2018 IPad Pro. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Richard - welcome to the forum! :) If not already done, read Apple's Article on the 'Files App' HERE (assume you have the most recent iPadOS installed?).

To date, I've not done much w/ 'trying' to use external drives on my iPad Pro, but do not expect to see what appears in macOS's Finder or on a Windows computer, and I cannot advise you on the best and most compatible external drives that may work w/ the Pro, sorry. Also, the features, such as transferring files, pics, movies, music, etc. may be limited (or not - just have not given all of that a try).

BUT - I just plugged in my SanDisk (first pic below, left) to the USB-C port of my iPad Pro (I have 3 Mac computers and use 5 externals per machine for backup - this does backups of my MBPro's personal files and iOS backups). In first pic right, notice that the drive shows up! In the middle pic on my Pro, I've picked the Desktop folder on the SanDisk which opens up to the right. On the bottom pic, I've transferred a cartoon image to my iCloud Drive, although any other of the locations (or a newly created one) could have been selected.

Not sure if this is what you need to do, but seems to work, and I'd assume my other external drives including the 'spinners' would work but would need a USB-A to C adapter (which actually comes w/ that SanDisk but would need the opposite). Hope this helps. Dave
iPadPro1.png

iPadPro2.png
iPadPro3.png

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In case you are not aware, attaching a hard drive to an iPad is not the same integrated flexible solution it is on a standard computer. While it’s come a lot closer with iOS 13, there are still things it won’t do well. So, be sure to check out how it can be used with the specific tasks you have in mind, not just what hard drive you can attach.

That said, I have no personal experience. I did watch a YouTube video recently that talked about the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, and it sounded pretty good. It’s mostly a heavy photo and video editing tool, and probably overkill for anything else.

Good luck.

Pro iPad Pro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

My two WD Elements hard drives work fine. One has the 1TB size and the other one is 4TB. They are not directly plugged into my iPad Pro 2018, 3rd Gen. however. I use a charged USB hub that is connected to a RAVPower AC750 file hub. This little wonder makes a WiFi connection with the iPad Pro.

BTW, the charged USB hub has switches to power the hard drives on and off. I can only address one hard drive at the time, so e.g. copying between the two hard drives directly is not possible. But for the moment that’s OK.

One caveat, the people who make the RAVPower AC750 only guarantee contact with hard drives max 3TB! But several others user noted that 4TB worked. Seems correct in my case. YMMF.
Hope this helps.
Any luck yet since you posted your question?
Cheers, Edmond

Pro iPad Pro

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Pro iPad Pro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
Model: RP-WD009
travel-router-02_900x.jpg

Link: FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
If one reads the text of the ad, this little machine can do more, powerbank and travel router and that for a reasonable price, e.g. compare it to the GNAR box.
Haven’t used these functions myself so can not report about that. My main goal was to connect hard drives without an extra cable salad.
Edit: To access the AC750 one can use the web interface and an app. Both are really cluncky, a redesign could do wonders for the user experience.

Hope, Richard that you are lucky with any hard drives you might use.
Cheers, Edmond

Last edited:

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve got an old 80Gb external Hard Drive that works fine with my iPads. It has FireWire and USB ports so I just use the latter. The HD did need to be reformatted to EX FAT or FAT 32 on my iMac first though. I’ve tried portable HD’s but even with a lighting cable and charger hooked up to the adapter still weren’t recognised by the iPad. Why some work and some don’t is a mystery.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve got an old 80Gb external Hard Drive that works fine with my iPads. It has FireWire and USB ports so I just use the latter. The HD did need to be reformatted to EX FAT or FAT 32 on my iMac first though. I’ve tried portable HD’s but even with a lighting cable and charger hooked up to the adapter still weren’t recognised by the iPad. Why some work and some don’t is a mystery.

In my post #2 previously, the SanDisk SSD that I plugged into my iPad Pro (on iPadOS 14.2) was formatted as macOS Extended (Journaled), or HFS+ - I've also used a similar external drive w/ APFS format successfully; although the 'FAT' formats would work, I usually re-format my external drives to Apple's choices; more information HERE for those interested. Dave :)

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strange. When I plugged in my Apple formatted HD it wasn’t recognised by my iPad Pro. As soon as I reformatted it to FAT it came up straight away.

There have been some changes in iOS14 as well, some memory sticks that worked on my iPad Pro under 13 no longer work and some that didn’t now work!

I’m also pleased to know that SD cards work without any additional power that all my memory sticks seem to need.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
Model: RP-WD009
travel-router-02_900x.jpg

Link: FileHub New Version AC750 Wireless Travel Router
If one reads the text of the ad, this little machine can do more, powerbank and travel router and that for a reasonable price, e.g. compare it to the GNAR box.
Haven’t used these functions myself so can not report about that. My main goal was to connect hard drives without an extra cable salad.
Edit: To access the AC750 one can use the web interface and an app. Both are really cluncky, a redesign could do wonders for the user experience.

Hope, Richard that you are lucky with any hard drives you might use.
Cheers, Edmond
Creepy…. I named my iPad Pro Edmund! L.

RafiKarpati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agreed with your answer my problem is solved then i am very happy :)

Have a nice day

Most reactions

Latest posts