What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictive text and International keyboards

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reset and passed on my iPad 1 to a family member, with separate Apple ID. Went OK for a while but recently typing anything has become a nightmare, because of the bizarre behaviour of the predictive text.
The stock keyboard was never one of IPad strong points, but currently when auto correction and auto capitalisation is on, so many completely useless suggestions are made, which if not closed automatically go in to the text. For example, every time I try to type 'the' in the middle of a sentence, it is always capitalised. While typing in English, I get Portuguese suggestions.
I do have UK English, Portuguese and Chinese keyboards among my chosen International keyboards, but typing language should auto-detect shouldn't it? The language chosen in settings is English.
I have tried resetting the dictionary under 'settings' but it hasn't cleared the problem.i now have to disable auto correct to be able to type normally.
Is there any way to get this ipad to realise that I want all text to be in English, and not to randomly capitalise letters in mid sentence?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whichever keyboard you have selected should dictate the predictive text/spelling.

I have US English, UK English, French and German and switch between them without problems.

The fact that "the" is being corrected to "The" indicates a deeper, probably hardware, issue since AFAIK, there is no reason, in any language, for this to happen. If your keyboard is set to French, it may correct to thé, and German may autocorrect to capitals if a word is a German noun, but I can't think of anything to explain your issue.

OP
P

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that, but surely it is a software issue. I suspected that this iPad was acting strangely, by the odd choices it was making for predictions, and by it asking for my Apple ID whenever I do updates, when it is signed in already to another ID under which the apps were installed.
I reset the dictionary, but it doesn't specify which of the languages is reset so I presume it is all of them. As Apple and the App Developers are not making any effort to support ios5, I guess it is a lost cause. What is encouraging is that it is still working well though slowly, and all the hardware buttons are still functioning
The dictionary reset doesn't help, so I have turned off auto correction and auto capitalisation, which makes it slower but preferable to filling in the wrong thing.

Most reactions