What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power off isn't closing apps

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad has so many apps running. Double clicking the home button shows them. Powering off doesn't close them like I was expecting. This is what I did:
1. Hold the power button, then " slide to cancel" to shut it down
2. Press and hold the power button, then let go to boot it back up
3. Watch the Apple icon for a few seconds, then slide to start
4. Double click the home button, and all my apps are still there

I upgraded the OS last week, is this normal behavour now? Is there a way to close all apps at once?

K.

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Double click home button, then press on one of the visible apps till it starts to wiggle.
Release, and each of the apps in the multitasking bar will have a minus badge showing in the top left corner.
As you then hit on each of the (-) 's the app will close.
This should be done probably daily, to free up memory held referencing the static state of the apps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
T

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tmno2 said:
Hi
Double click home button, then press on one of the visible apps till it starts to wiggle.
Release, and each of the apps in the multitasking bar will have a minus badge showing in the top left corner.
As you then hit on each of the (-) 's the app will close.
This should be done probably daily, to free up memory held referencing the static state of the apps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes, thanks. I know I can do them one at a time. I also thought powering off would close the apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does close the apps. Most of the apps in the multitask bar are closed. For whatever reason, Apple decided you'd want a list (running or not) of all the apps you've started for further back than you can remember.

Only the last 4 or 5 apps are running on an iPad 1. The iPad 2 can probably hold more in RAM, and so more will be running. Though running is misleading. Most will be frozen (doing nothing) unless they fall into a very few background enabled categories.

When you shut down, all the apps are removed from RAM. It's just a list until you open another app.

Reaction score
Idontunderstandmyipad told me about xsysinfo app. When you open it it closes everything else in 1 sweep. though it leaves the icon in the running tray, the ram and memory being used are freed up. I think it was $1.99,maybe .99
It beats the heck out of closing them one at a time.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
T

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I already have icons for every app I ever opened - up to nine pages of them. Repeating these icons in the tray serves no real purpose then, considering they could be remnants of instances and have no ram behind them (as in the case after a reboot). I guess for the occasion where you have to terminate an app, you would need the icon in the tray.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad's operating system, iOS, is not really a multi-tasking system in the way that PC guys think - it's more of a task switching operating system. When you switch from one app to another, the app that you've switched out is suspended and its 'context' (state) is remembered by iOS. Suspended tasks can only perform a very limited range of operations. See this Apple official link for details of what a suspended app is able to do.

What's New in iOS 4 - Apple Developer (What's New in iOS 4 - Apple Developer)

iOS leaves recently suspended apps in the iPad's memory (RAM) until it finds it needs that space for another app. Then the suspended app is overwritten but its context is remembered.

When the user switches back to a previously suspended task/app, if it's already in RAM iOS can immediately re-instate it and it 'comes alive' very quickly. If iOS had had to remove it to make room for another app, then it's reloaded from flash and brought up in the state in which it was originally suspended by using the context information that iOS stored when the app was originally suspended.

When you 'flush' a suspended app by using the multi-task bar you do a couple of things. If the app is in RAM still, its space is freed up and another app can use it. If it's already been removed from RAM then its context information is deleted and iOS will forget the state that the app was in originally. Thus, when you start that app up again, it will come up in its default state with no reference to the state it was in when it was last closed (there are some exceptions to this, however, when an app itself stores context information).

So, when you look at the multi-task bar and see all those apps 'running' all they're probably doing is having their context remembered - a few bytes for each app stored in the iPad's flash memory. Only the most recent apps - those that are shown to the left hand side of the multi-task bar - are even candidates to be in RAM. You can usually tell which apps were in RAM by the time the iPad takes to switch back to that app when it's re-instated. Those that are 'down the list' to the right, or even on the next screen, were long ago removed from RAM.

Tim

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I already have icons for every app I ever opened - up to nine pages of them. Repeating these icons in the tray serves no real purpose then, considering they could be remnants of instances and have no ram behind them (as in the case after a reboot). I guess for the occasion where you have to terminate an app, you would need the icon in the tray.
I don't understand what the issue is here. If you don't want to launch apps from the app switcher.... don't. Personally I love having my most used apps right there for quick access.

And if they are not running they are not consuming any resources. They are merely an entry in plist. But to get annoyed over them being there is not really worth it in my opinion. Don't look at them. :)

Michael

OP
T

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
I don't understand what the issue is here. If you don't want to launch apps from the app switcher.... don't. Personally I love having my most used apps right there for quick access.

And if they are not running they are not consuming any resources. They are merely an entry in plist. But to get annoyed over them being there is not really worth it in my opinion. Don't look at them. :)

Michael

Ummm, nobody is annoyed ( well, maybe you). This is a HELP forum and I needed help understanding the icon tray. I understand it now, thanks to the other replies.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:

Michael

Ummm, nobody is annoyed ( well, maybe you). This is a HELP forum and I needed help understanding the icon tray. I understand it now, thanks to the other replies.
Me annoyed? Hardly. Odd conclusion to come to though. <shrug>

You weren't the only one posting in this thread. Just because you start a thread doesn't mean every reply is to you.

Specifically, if I were to take the time to manually close each icon in the task switcher... every day... well I think that would indicate their presence annoys me. Pretty logical conclusion IMO.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts