What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powering down

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will powering down remove all that is in RAM? To do this am I right to do as follows and how often should this be done?

Powering down:

Hold down the on/off switch until the power off slide switch comes on and then slide the switch to the off position.

Powering back up:

Hold the on/off switch and the home button down until the apple icon comes on. Than what do I do to get it started again?

Will powering down erase my calendar entries and my notes that I have created?

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buzzy23 said:
Will powering down remove all that is in RAM? To do this am I right to do as follows and how often should this be done?

Powering down:

Hold down the on/off switch until the power off slide switch comes on and then slide the switch to the off position.

Powering back up:

Hold the on/off switch and the home button down until the apple icon comes on. Than what do I do to get it started again?

Yes, it will empty the ram, unless it has a seperate battery supply

Powering down will only delete/remove stuff you have not saved

As for how often, depends who you ask, i only do it when i am forced to, say an app crashes and makes the ipad unusable etc

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Powering down:

Powering back up:

Powering down will erase nothing - it's just like turning your PC off. All your Notes etc are preserved in the iPad's flash memory - it's 'hard disc' - and that is retained even when the power is off.

Apple recommend you power down occasionally - it's up to you and clearly depends on how frequently you use the iPad. Once a week is good!

Tim

OP
B

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim - I powered down my iPad 2 today. I did this by pushing the off switch until the red slide switch came on. I then slid the switch to the off position and the screen wet black. I waited a while and powered up. After all was up and running, I checked my notes app that came with the unit, of which I had 13 pages, and they were all gone! I then thought that if I synced the unit all would be returned. But they were Still gone. Doesn't the synch process backup everything?

Regards

Buzzy23

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way that 13 pages of notes which you had in your iPad should be deleted by turning off the iPad. It just doesn't work like that. I honestly have never heard of anything like that, nor can I think of any situation which would cause 13 pages of notes to be missing after an off / on operation. Sorry, I don't know what to suggest, but wanted to make it clear this is not in any way a normal situation just in case people get paranoid about turning the device off.
I turn mine off every night and have never lost so much as a word in a note since I got my iPad1 at launch! I know that doesn't help you Buzzy23, so sorry again.

OP
B

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the person that answered my question - This actually happened, I lost my notes when powering down!
But you did not finish answering my question. That syncing the unit does not backup apps like notes, calendar and email.
Buzzy23

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It backs them up but that is not the same as synchronising them. To get them back you would need to restore from a backup. You can do this by right clicking on the iPad in the left hand panel of iTunes and choosing to restore from backup. But be warned if you restore now you will overwrite anything new you have added since the last backup. You can't select what to restore. It's just the whole backup.

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought: if your notes are in Notes, and you have your mail et al set to synchronize to Google, you could lose notes that way.

OP
B

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I was able to restore from backup like you suggested,but does it back up things like notes calendar and email each time I sync the unit. Or if not how often does it backup.

Buzzy23

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, each time you sync, if you watch the top bar in iTunes the first thing it does on each sync is back up the iPad. I think I am right in saying the backups are incremental, so it is just saving the changes each time, which saves a lot of time after the first backup process. Obviously if nothing has changed nothing backs up - if you press sync twice in a row whilst still connected you will see the second time does not need to backup anything.

Are you brave enough to turn your iPad off again yet? I am convinced there is no way you should lose any data. As I said, I do this daily! It's just like a computer in that respect. You don't expect to lose all your documents when you turn off a computer. I don't know what it was that caused your notes to delete, but it was not powering down the iPad IMHO.

Perhaps others can chime in with thoughts on what could have caused it?

OP
B

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes, each time you sync, if you watch the top bar in iTunes the first thing it does on each sync is back up the iPad. I think I am right in saying the backups are incremental, so it is just saving the changes each time, which saves a lot of time after the first backup process. Obviously if nothing has changed nothing backs up - if you press sync twice in a row whilst still connected you will see the second time does not need to backup anything.

Are you brave enough to turn your iPad off again yet? I am convinced there is no way you should lose any data. As I said, I do this daily! It's just like a computer in that respect. You don't expect to lose all your documents when you turn off a computer. I don't know what it was that caused your notes to delete, but it was not powering down the iPad IMHO.

Perhaps others can chime in with thoughts on what could have caused it?

QUOTE - Yes, I powered down last night, and all is well, nothing lost. Thanks for all of your help. I will continue to monitor IPF for additional information, as I am new to the iPad system.

Buzzy23

Most reactions

Latest posts