What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Tell Me It Isn't So...

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a new iMac a while back and when I connect my iPad to it I get a message that it's sync'ed with a different library. According to the Apple folks I have to erase my iPad and rebuild it from scratch. Is this true? First they just said do a backup and restore, but the backup restores to syncing with the old computer. Is there another way, or do I just keep syncing with the old computer?

Thanks,
Bill

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you do a sync to the new iMac, it should ask if you want to backup your iPad. You should be able to back it up to the new computer. If you have the old computer, you can also use Home Sharing to move all your iTunes library to the new iMac. If you have any questions, your iPad has access to the entire manual which will take you through the process of syncing to a new computer.

OP
jcherepy

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you do a sync to the new iMac, it should ask if you want to backup your iPad. You should be able to back it up to the new computer. If you have the old computer, you can also use Home Sharing to move all your iTunes library to the new iMac. If you have any questions, your iPad has access to the entire manual which will take you through the process of syncing to a new computer.

As I said in my post, backing up to the new computer backs up the info sync'ed from the old computer and when you do a restore, it restores the old computer sync info. I did this with Apple support on the phone and that's when they told me I have to transfer all purchased apps to iTunes, then do a FACTORY restore, then sync all apps, etc. The problem with that is that I would then have to go on the iPad and recreate all my folders and put the apps where I want them. In my case, not a small job. I have 17 folders with anywhere from 3 to 20 apps per folder. I'm better off not syncing the iPad at all.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Bill

Most reactions

Latest posts