What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2017 How to lock/unlock screen rotation?

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all!
My friend (who will shortly turn 85) has been given a new iPad 2017 by her son after her old one had problems and cannot find how to make the screen rotate from portrait to landscape. It is set in portrait mode, which means that when she watches TV or films the picture is small.
The new iPad does not have the little switch near the volume buttons that I use on my mini and original iPad to lock/unlock the screen to rotate it.
I looked in "Settings", "General" on her new iPad but cannot see anything that looks like a button to change screen rotation
I assume the manual is somewhere on her iPad and will tell her how to do this but she is not really very adept at "computer stuff" and gets lost when I try to show her how to find stuff on the device, so I hoped that one of you kind experts can tell me so I can show her how to do it next time I go round for a cuppa.

Thanks in advance

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The feature is in Control Centre:
IMG_3300.jpg
If the icon is red (see my screenshot), tap it to disable it.

OP
Elizellen

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you J.A. for the clear instruction. You are a star!!
And thank you Lanny - as you guessed - I did not know how to access the control center but now I do!

OP
Elizellen

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just reporting back!
It took a while for my friend to get the hang of using a one finger swipe up to access the control centre, but she got there in the end.
I also showed her how to use a 4 finger swipe to see all open apps, but she is still trying to master that consistently!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In case it's not clear, to get the Control Center and Notification Center, swipe from beyond the edge of the screen onto the screen. Swipes that start shorto of the very edge will often pull up different features in apps. It's the difference between pulling down notifications and the search screen from the top.

Of course, this is all changing in iOS 11, so don't get too used to it. Control Center will still be there (redesigned), but may have some getsture overlap with the new Dock's features.

OP
Elizellen

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for that tip - it explains why she has only intermittent success!! I will pass that info on to her.

Most reactions