What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing Windows media files

morrisps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am keen to be able to play windows media files on my iPad – a live radio feed and Windows compatible streaming video. It is possible to do this on my MAC laptop using Flip4mac software which allows Quicktime to play Windows media files.

My question is whether this software would work on the iPad and if it does, how do I get it on there. Safari gives me a message saying it cannot download this file. I have read a little about jailbreaking and wonder whether I need to go down this path. Reluctant to do this unless it is completely necessary.

Any help or other ideas would be appreciated.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can stream the media files from your computer but that requires a constant internet connection. Otherwise, you have to convert them before you can use them on your iPad.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to convert them, Handbrake does it nicely.

Cheers,

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can't, its not a supported format. Not even if you jailbreak the iPad.

If you have actual files that you want to stream (not live radio stream) you could download the program Orb to your PC and then the Orb Live or Orb Media app on the iPad.

Orb runs on your desktop, You add in your media files like movies, music... and it will stream those movies to you via web browser on a PC or via the iphone/ipad app.

also if you have a TV tuner card in your computer you can stream live tv.

OP
M

morrisps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses even though the answer isn't what I wanted to hear. Any opinion on whether a future app to do achieve this is likely, or is it just another element in the MAC v Windows wars?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost 100% never going to happen...it would be like Pepsi including a can of Coke in every 6 pack.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Nope, not going to happen. supporting windows media formate requires licensing fee's. Why would apple pay to use something that is only for windows users?

99% if not 100% of all apps available in the app store use the built in iphone quicktime player to play media files. Only supported files are ones supported by apple.

Most reactions