What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing video off SD Card (CCK), no audio

BitterB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

TLDR: I get no audio when playing video off an SD Card with the CCK. Little help?

Full version:
I have an old iPad 1 that is still going strong, and I'm looking to play video with it directly from an SD Card using the camera connection kit (CCK). I have jailbroken to make things a bit easier, and am using iFile to browse the mounted card. Everything works great for playing my mp4s, except audio. I simply click the file and play with the stock video player and it launches immediately. Unfortunately, I get no audio while playing videos directly. I presume the CCK is disabling audio somehow (maybe the iPad thinks there's a TV out connected?), but I genuinely have no idea. I can copy the same file I'm trying to play on the SD Card to the iPad and play it, and the audio works fine. Anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?

I should mention that I don't know where to copy files to get them recognized in the video library, so when I copy, I copy to the CineX directory, then play with CineX, which works fine but takes a while. When I try to play the videos on the SD Card through iFile with CineX, nothing happens. So I'm not comparing apples to apples, its possible the difference in audio working vice not working is in the players, but I kinda doubt it. Suggestions for where to copy the video to get it recognized by the stock player are also welcome.

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

TLDR: I get no audio when playing video off an SD Card with the CCK. Little help?

Full version:
I have an old iPad 1 that is still going strong, and I'm looking to play video with it directly from an SD Card using the camera connection kit (CCK). I have jailbroken to make things a bit easier, and am using iFile to browse the mounted card. Everything works great for playing my mp4s, except audio. I simply click the file and play with the stock video player and it launches immediately. Unfortunately, I get no audio while playing videos directly. I presume the CCK is disabling audio somehow (maybe the iPad thinks there's a TV out connected?), but I genuinely have no idea. I can copy the same file I'm trying to play on the SD Card to the iPad and play it, and the audio works fine. Anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?

I should mention that I don't know where to copy files to get them recognized in the video library, so when I copy, I copy to the CineX directory, then play with CineX, which works fine but takes a while. When I try to play the videos on the SD Card through iFile with CineX, nothing happens. So I'm not comparing apples to apples, its possible the difference in audio working vice not working is in the players, but I kinda doubt it. Suggestions for where to copy the video to get it recognized by the stock player are also welcome.

Thanks!
You can't play the video properly directly off the SD card but if the videos are correctly formatted they can be imported to the ipad and then played. See this Apple support page about how to do it. http://store.apple.com/ca/question/...m-the-sd-card-in-the-reader/Q24YCPKHXAHDTPU9C

OP
B

BitterB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every source I've seen states that the video has to be imported to the iPad before it will play. As to why the audio won't play, there's the possibility that the video format isn't completely compatable with iOS. Also, which iPad are you using to play the video?

OP
B

BitterB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dunno what to say about that, except that I'm running jailbroken and using iFile. I browse to the files on the SD Card by going to /mnt, and can play them with the stock video player. There is no delay whatsoever when playing using the stock player, so I doubt they are being imported.

I'm using the first-gen iPad to play. When I get home I will test removing the CCK and playing a file with the stock player that has been copied to the iPad. I'll let you know if the audio works or not.

Do you know where the files need to be copied on the iPad if I wanted them to be picked up and shown in the video library?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you're using a jailbroken iPad, I've moved your post to the iPad hacking forum where it will receive better attention form members who know more about jailbreaking than I do.

OP
B

BitterB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*bump* anybody have any advice? I leave on a trip tomorrow and itwould be great to know if I could fix this

Most reactions

Latest posts