What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

placing presentation/numbers files to springboard

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it possible to place links (icons with labels) on the springboard, for files within an app? i would like to make my reports (primarily numbers and presentation files) accessible straight from there.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that I know of. All I know of is safari links. Maybe you could edit a safari link and replace the link with the file location?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is sort of possible if you have DropBox (or other online storage) and internet access whenever you need to view the files.

If you store the files in your Public folder in DropBox you can go to dropbox.com in Safari, open the file in Safari, and save a link to your Homepage using the share icon (box with arrow coming out of it). The resulting icon can be placed on the Springboard.

The document can only be displayed this way, not edited. However you can use the Open In... feature in safari to copy it to Numbers for editing. Just tap int he center of the screen and choose Open In Numbers. (works only for numbers or .xls formatting, if you saved it as a pdf you'll have to open it in a different app).

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i can only upload pics from my ipad. how can i do so with files from numbers and keynote? i can't find those files using ifile (not ifiles).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, that's a problem. Used to be you could get a free account from DropDAV.com and use the WebDAV feature in Numbers. Now they only have paid accounts, though they are not terribly expensive.

There are other options. You can get an email to DropBox through sendtodropbox.com. It can be slow (depending on server load I've waited an hour for a file to show up) and not 100% reliable (though it's always worked for me). You still have to log into DropBox and move the file from the Attachments folder to the Public one, but it's doable.

Alternately, and kind of bass-ackwards, you can Mail the file to yourself, then use Open In... in Mail to copy the attachment to the DropBox app. This is probably the easiest way, though the least intuitive.

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
too much hassle, lol, i'll just open the files via the apps for now...

thanks for the advice!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. It was fun to figure out, though I can't think of any reason I would go to that much trouble either.

Well, maybe as part of a presentation kiosk sort of setup, though that is still a stretch.

Most reactions