What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up xoom to compare with my ipad 2.....Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok now I'm going to chime in with a little more backed up opinion and my thoughts on these two.

I considered the Xoom for all about 10 minutes but then decided to go with what has the higher number of apps and market share at this point, it's really that simple at this stage in the game.

Do I think iPad 2 is the best period? No, but this is an investment and I think a lot of people are interested in making the best one at this point - a rare similarity shared between the ipad and a PC that likely won't change soon.

On the other hand, I also just jumped ship from my Motorola Droid X in the last few days for a number of factors. It's not that it was a bad phone per se, but I guess for a nerd like me the tables are turning on what I once thought Android was capable of.

At this point in time I am thoroughly convinced that Google has spread its productivity efforts too thin. Instead of focusing on the quality (something I thought they'd eventually spend some decent time with) Google is unrelenting in trying out beta products instead of making the core apps the best that they can be. Instead Google wants to show off new "tricks" if you will.

The question is, what types of guarantees are the end users getting? I can tell you the first wave of let downs came through the native Blockbuster app built into the DX that didn't even work from the get go, not even for reviewers. Not to mention it was dead on arrival with its overpriced movie rentals. Great game changing feature baked in, but poorly implemented.

I've witnessed the same thing with the HDMI video out which was supposed to "elevate" Android to the next level, but failed because the processors had trouble pushing dual displays until recently.

So now that the next wave of hardware is in with the LTE HTC Thunderboldt screaming loudly about broadband 4G video chats, I tried that tonight with my brother on his brand new Thunderboldt.

Again, I was let down because HTC, Motorola, Whoever, it doesn't matter at this point - keep building in the hardware when there is no foreseeable software in sight that closes the loop. This time I am talking about front facing video chat being fully realized in the Android world. Again, nice in theory, but poorly implemented with no backup plan on the Thunderboldt. Gotta love how HTC throws you to the wolves from day one, leaving developers (who are increasingly getting pissed at Google) to fill the gaps.

So what do I take away from all this? That most users are right when they say that Android simply is the Windows of the smartphone world: Huge marketshare, but not enough retained control over the platform to mitigate the downsides users experience from day one. Will this change any time soon? Not likely as long as Apple exists.

Sorry this was so seemingly related to the smartphone world but it really is one in the same, with the exception that the things that happened with smartphones simply cannot be allowed to happen with Tablets or it will be all downhill for Android once again in terms of hardware reliability and software offerings.

If Qik's video conferencing options (catered to each specific video capable phone) is any indication, Android is in for a bumpy ride with their tablet offerings.

Think you can change my mind? Open to input.

Last edited:

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...At this point in time I am thoroughly convinced that Google has spread its productivity efforts too thin. Instead of focusing on the quality (something I thought they'd eventually spend some decent time with) Google is unrelenting in trying out beta products instead of making the core apps the best that they can be. Instead Google wants to show off new "tricks" if you will...

Yep that's exactly my issues with Google and Android. They are obsessed with new "tricks" than making anything work smoothly. The background moving a little between homescreens I said earlier is an example.

The devices never seem to get better because Google always have to push its newest devices to full extent of processing capabilities. There is never room for things to work smoothly.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets stay on topic. This is not an iphone vx android phone thread. We are talking here about the Xoom and the iPad2. Plaase avoid conversations outside of the topic. Thank you.

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Xoom on launch day. I have to say it, I LOVE ANDROID but I HATE the Xoom. I waited and waited for a full featured 10" Android tablet to come out. One that could do all that I wanted it to do. I own NOTHING Apple since my 1st gen iPod. I hated the way that Apple controlled the music that I bought and wouldn't allow me to play it on anything other than their devices. That mentality is what drove me towards Android.

A year ago, I purchased my Droid Incredible and I have loved every minute that I've had it. I rooted it and regularly flash new ROMS. I'm no newb to the process. I regularly spend over an hour per day on Android Forums, so when I say I hate the Xoom, understand that it is not out of a hate for Android for Google.

I knew out of the box the device was not complete. I knew that Flash would come shortly and sometime late spring the 4G and SD card would be coming. I could deal with that. $800 + case ($40) + bt keyboard ($80) + over $100 on new versions of apps and new books means I'm over $1,000 in to this device. It was my intent to buy 4 more over the course of the year for my kids and wife. After a month of pretending that I love the Xoom, I HATE it.

The weight, fingerprints, or any other MINOR complaint for the Xoom is nothing to me. None are truly warranted and should or should not be a cause for buying a device of this caliper IMHO.

Through this proccess iLearned that just because iHate a company doesn't mean that they are not the best at what they do. iLearned that Moto and GoogleComb wanted my money at my expense (pardon the pun). Here is a list of things that iHate about my Xoom.

iHate that to this DAY we still don't have a working way to watch Hulu or Netflix WITHOUT spending MORE money to "sling" it in or let it "playon" from a REAL computer.

iHate that Google Books only works about 1/2 the time. It depends on the books you buy. I bought the Bible TWICE. Both times it worked in the preview, you pay the money and it's chapters are "too long to load". Books SHOULD work.

iHate the way that I have to "re-purchase" my apps in HD to make them work. Don't give me the "spare parts fix" b/c it's not the same thing. The WHOLE point of picking a side is so we don't have to re-purchase EVERYTHING we use.

iHate the way my browser FORCE CLOSES all the time. For no reason, it will RANDOMLY and REPEATEDLY shut down. I've tried Firefox Mobile, I can't stand the way it checkerboards when I scroll quickly.

iHate the way the music app will "randomly" just begin playing for no reason at all.

Google Voice doesn't work on the Xoom? A Google "experience" device? Really?

52 Tablet specific apps!?!? Seriously, that sucks.

Things that are nice are Flash, widgets, customization of live wallpapers, battery life, build is solid, ability to remove an app from the launcher, total integration of Gmail and Youtube (which is what surprised me that Google Voice and Picasa are non existent).

Things that feel "incomplete" are transitions (very laggy), the boot up takes FOREVER and animation is very pixilated, Books app, Market only works in landscape. There are more and more.

So I have come to the conclusion that I'm no longer keeping my Xoom. I have listed it on Ebay here --> 3G/4G Motorola Xoom+Case+BT Keyboard+*NEW* 2GB SD Card | eBay

If I can get the $700 for it, I plan on buying a wifi-iPad2 with smart cover and wireless keyboard. I will lose about $300 for my eagerness, but learn a lesson in the process. I still could never see myself owning an iPhone, but I regret not buying an iPad2.

Last edited:

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Through this proccess iLearned that just because iHate a company doesn't mean that they are not the best at what they do. iLearned that Moto and GoogleComb wanted my money at my expense (pardon the pun). Here is a list of things that iHate about my Xoom.

Yep, I didn't want to buy an apple tablet because I don't care for Macs as computers. However, after exploring all my options, iPad doesn't really even fall in a general 'tablet computer' category. It doesn't replace a computer nor does it claim to like other tablets. It is an iPad and it just works.

On the XOOM, you have no legal way to have movies on the device. (ok so there are 3 movies that have android digital copies) The only way to get movies for long flight is to rip DVDs. I have neither time nor patience for this. I also have a good enough job that I have no problem paying $4 to rent a movie.

There lies the problem with Android... a lot of people say they love it for openess. What they really mean is they can do a lot more shady things. Downloading paid apps for free, illegal copies of movies, etc. It's also a DRM nightmare for studios. Who's going to want to spend time writing an app just so people can steal it?

Don't get me wrong. I still think android is awesome for a phone. On my phone I rarely want to get into apps, I just look at my widgets (calender, mail, stocks) and I'm good to go. For a tablet though, apps matters above others. Check out this review of a former Android fanboy's thoughts after getting an iPad 2. The experince was the same for me (finding out benefits of iOS) when I started playing with my girlfriend's iPad 1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWE6iX7I5Y&feature=feedlik"]YouTube - Apple iPad 2 Official Review (HD)[/ame]

Last edited:

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Is this an ipad forum or a forum for measuring di*ks?

Come on.....this is not what I signed on for....

Between 1981 and 82 I learned assembly, hex and binary code , thats pretty much the base for all code.

Android, C++, Java, Basic, Cocoa....whatever, comes all back to zeros and frigging ones......on and offs....dark and light...

You people are seriously gonna sit here and piss on all what we have been given since 1981 measuring differences between who wrote the best code???

Maybe this should be just an iPad forum then!

Oh....wait, my dads jaguar will beat your dads Volvo....

Are you guys on or.......off?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh....wait, my dads jaguar will beat your dads Volvo....
Back when I was in high school, my father had a Mercury Marquis (1972 or 1973, I forget). That big V-8 got terrible mileage, but no one cared because gas was 35¢ a gallon and I could cruise around all night on $2.00! And the best thing about that car.... it had a huge back seat!

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own both the Xoom, and the IPad 2. First of all, if I had to choose one over the other...it would definitely be the IPad 2. However, the Xoom has it's advantages. The Xoom is great if Gmail is your primary email provider, as this is the closest desktop gmail experience that one can get. Also, being able to upgrade, remove memory with a memory card(future upgrade), not needing iTunes to manage media, and having adobe flash for a more complete web browsing experience, are all great. On the other hand, the Xoom, like all other android devices, is buggy with the force close issue, and other issues. One bad one is my browser closes out randomly. The other negative thing is lack of app support. You only get a fraction of the tablet apps that the iPad has. I will say though, that LTE being added will be real treat. If any of you have experienced the speeds of LTE, you know what I mean. I also have an HTC thunderbolt, with free(limited time only) tethering, and I get between 10-22mbps down and 5-12 up. Its amazing. So, to have those speeds on the Xoom will be great. But again, IPad 2 is overall, better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an "iPad" forum, I don't know why people don't expect a majority of of this forums users to defend the iPad and other apple products. I know I don't expect to go to an android forum and get treated well by 100% of the people on there.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Godfather4190 said:
This is an "iPad" forum, I don't know why people don't expect a majority of of this forums users to defend the iPad and other apple products. I know I don't expect to go to an android forum and get treated well by 100% of the people on there.

I don't go anywhere online and expect to be treated well. It's the Internet! Not a Holiday Inn. Thicker skin people...thicker skin.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, put a poll up for ipad vs xoom here an see who wins. then put it up at xda and see who wins there.

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deftdrummer said:
I don't go anywhere online and expect to be treated well. It's the Internet! Not a Holiday Inn. Thicker skin people...thicker skin.

That's what I'm trying to say, I certainly think this forum is a lot more civilized than most others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts