What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos - fix for rotation issues (landscape vs. portrait)

Docfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I am in landscape mode on the iPad and I decide I want to take a screenshot the resultant picture is only found as a portrait. So my new picture is rotated 90 degrees. This seems especially silly if I want to take a screenshot while in keynote since the only way to use keynote is in landscape orientation.

Am I missing something? If I take a screenshot in landscape it should be found as a landscape picture in apples photo app. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am in landscape mode on the iPad and I decide I want to take a screenshot the resultant picture is only found as a portrait. So my new picture is rotated 90 degrees. This seems especially silly if I want to take a screenshot while in keynote since the only way to use keynote is in landscape orientation.

Am I missing something? If I take a screenshot in landscape it should be found as a landscape picture in apples photo app. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron

Aaron, I agree... the logic behind your argument makes sense. I'm not sure why they didn't do this, my guess is that it's a bug. I haven't had time to test it but will revisit this as soon as I can.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, it is a bug. When find I stuff like this I go here and report it.
Apple - Feedback
I have already reported this issue but it wouldn't hurt if you did as well. The more they hear about an issue the more likely they are to fix it ;).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Colin is scratching his head trying to answer this one Problem is I have not got an ipad yet so cannot test it. I believe what you are doing is taking a screen shot in keynote which is in landscape but the file ends up as portrait is that correct ? This shows how to do it but but I do not know the results in landscape mode
How to take a Screenshot on the iPad without a screenshot application
How to Take Screen Shot on iPad without a screen shot application

I will get some one else to look at it for you

cheers colin

OP
D

Docfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for looking into this.

That is correct. When I am in landscape mode and take a screen shot by hitting the home key and the power key, the picture ends up being in portrait and not in landscape.

Thanks!

Aaron

Last edited:

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine ends up in landscape if I take it that way and portrait if I take it dat way

Are you testing this in Keynote, or not? Seems the original poster is having the problem in Keynote.

OP
D

Docfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All apps

It actually occurs in all apps not just keynote.

I am confused rob, you mention that it works for you but then you say you are going out to buy one....?

StevenSokulski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello board!

I definitely encourage every iPad owner to submit feedback on this issue. It is quite frustrating when one is trying to review apps or write documentation.

If you're still unclear as to what the problem is, I've tried to explain it at the link below with a screenshot.
Blog: iPad Screenshot Orientation Bug

OP
D

Docfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Temporary fix

I found a temporary fix:

Take your screenshot in landscape.

Use the free app called "PhotoPad" to rotate it.

Then it ends up back in your photo app in the orientation that you want.

jackdenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PhotoPad fix

This fix works perfectly and is permanent if you delete the original.
I create paintings with the Brush app and it does not always save the orientation desired, PhotoPad is the answer, thank you!

unSOUND

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem is that the saved image has way more compression than the original... Is there any other app that saves better versions ?

EDIT: I found that the App "Rotate and Crop" uses way less compression, leaving the picture quality intact.

Last edited:

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wot_fan said:
I agree, it is a bug. When find I stuff like this I go here and report it.
Apple - Feedback
I have already reported this issue but it wouldn't hurt if you did as well. The more they hear about an issue the more likely they are to fix it ;).

I am experiencing this same issue (screenshot taken in landscape mode is saved as portrait, forcing you to have to get an app and rotate it 90 degrees for it to be saved correctly. (the app I'm using is eHarmony... I use Filterstorm to rotate and save a new copy... A pain in the a** because of the steps required.). I'll go and report this issue as well. (iPad2)

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the printscreen issue also happens with my ipad2 3g

for cropping and rotating, i use CROP SUEY HD... so easy to use...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts