What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotate Ipad Camera photos

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I take a photo with the Ipad in the portrait/upright position and email it, it ends up at the other end needing rotating 90 degrees.

Is there any way I can have it rotated correctly before the other person sees it in their email??

Michael

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can use another app to rotate it. I use PhotoShop Express, a very limited (but free) app to do this. You actually end up with a new copy of the photo in the right orientation, but it works well enough.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure that you don't have your screen rotation locked before taking the picture.

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen rotation is not locked.
I can't find a way to have the Ipad2 email a portrait type picture the right way up. It always arrives on someones desktop as a landscape/horizontal image

If its not my fault perhaps Apple could fix this problem, my family keep complaing about having to twist their necks to see my photos.

Michael

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael,

I just tested this on my ipad. I took 2 photos with the ipad, 1 portrait and the other landscape. I selected both pictures and emailed it to myself. They were both sent with the correct orientation. I am unable to reproduce your issue with ipad or iphone.

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog,

Thanks for testing.

Can't understand. I am using a windows laptop with Outlook express for email.
I have just taken a portrait pic on my Ipad2, emailed it to myself and the pic shows in landscape orientation???

If you save the photos attached to the email to your desktop, then double click to open the portrait one, it should show the problem

Michael

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog,

Forgot to mention, if you email pic to yourself and view your email on the Ipad, it will always be correct, try opening the email on your laptop/desktop

Thanks
Michael

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the answer to my own problem, thanks to an article on the Apple forum which says:

The camera on the phone is using Exif tags to tell the iPad how to display the photos. Basically, you tke the shot in Portrait and the camera tells the iPad "Show this one this way up". That works on the iPad and on any app that understands and respects Exif tags. But Mail client don't, so the show emails sideways.

Thanks for all the help, lets hope email programs can fix this one in the future,

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts