What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Performance vs iPad 3

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have the 4 and 3 that can comment on the speed difference?

I have the 3 and was going to hold off, but I just got the iPhone 5 and it is sooooo much faster than my 4s I am wondering if the speed bump in the iPad 4 over the 3 is the same

OP
M

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the benchmark compares but wondering about real world use

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Someone posted in another thread that he could only noticed that some webpages scrolled smoother on the 4.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad5 is right around the corner. Wait it out.
It'll be faster, thinner, and the same size with a larger screen.
I'm holding out.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Negligible speed improvement, at best. There was a thread titled something like "should I get a 4 when I have a 3?" Or something similar. Anyways, a user time tested side by side, her 1, 3, and 4. Basically the 3 was twice was fast as the 1. But the 4 was only a few seconds faster on app openings and less than a second for web page loads. I couldn't believe my 3 had the numbers she posted, so I timed my 3 and it was I between her 3 & 4 numbers. So really, you won't notice the difference much. The 3 is a great device, so don't upgrade unless you have spare cash or yours breaks. Not worth it for the small improvement in my opinion.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone have the 4 and 3 that can comment on the speed difference?

I have the 3 and was going to hold off, but I just got the iPhone 5 and it is sooooo much faster than my 4s I am wondering if the speed bump in the iPad 4 over the 3 is the same

Save your money......the iPad 4 is nice but not worth investing the money if you already have the iPad 3.
I'd say on average it's a slight bit faster on most things, especially web browsing than the iPad 3.
But, not a huge difference.

I'm holding out.

Care to post the link where you obtained this information? :D

Last edited:

iZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XDRoX said:
I'm holding out.

I'd love to read more about the 5.. Was this from a particular site?

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my girlfriend the 3 a few months back and now own the iPad 4 myself. If you currently own an iPad 3, I would hold off until the next iteration, due to the lack of a "massive jump" reason, such as the retina display from 2 to 3. With that said, my iPad 4 is noticeably snappier than the iPad 3. When browsing web pages and the App Store scrolling is butter smooth on my 4, but sluggish at times on the 3. On the iPad 4 Apps definitely open quicker, as do web pages and emails. In addition, the incredible A6X processor definitely shows its teeth while running intensive games such as Nova 3, Modern Combat 3, and Galaxy on fire 2. If you have a iPad 1 or 2 the iPad 4 is definitely the iPad to get, but if you own an iPad 3, I think you'll be absolutely fine waiting for the inevitable iPad 5. If you are buying you're first tablet, get the 4th gen and feel comfort in knowing you own the best tablet on the market.

Last edited:

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the tips throwback8 because since i use my ipad 3 mainly for games and movies i thought there would be big leap with ipad 4 but ill just wait until the 5th or 2nd gen mini if support retina display perhaps ;)

Most reactions