What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 vs iPad 4?

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On YouTube I saw testing of wifi btw ipad 3 and 4, and actually ipad 3 was much better. go figure that.:confused::confused::confused:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On YouTube I saw testing of wifi btw ipad 3 and 4, and actually ipad 3 was much better. go figure that.:confused::confused::confused:

That's funny, because there were benchmark tests that showed iPad 3 was slower than iPad 2. If we believe such and follow that along, then maybe iPad 4 is slower than iPad 2, lol. In that case I'll be able to test iPad 2 and 4 head to head (because I didn't buy iPad 3). So maybe iPad 5 will be even slower than iPad 1? Lol.

I've read that you might need a newer router (or was it a newer modem?) to take advantage of iPad 4's wifi capacities. I will see what info pops up on blogs as delivery for my iPad 4 draws nearer. The good thing with getting a 4G model (besides that feature) is that wifi model owners will have at least sussed out quirks and such by the time they start delivering the 4G ones.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, I read this on another forum, and am pasting because this forum doesn't allow links to other Apple forums:

Quote:

it depends on your router...

With my Asus RT-N66U router, the iPad 4 produces Speedtest results of 80-85Mbps with my FiOS Service (and 92Mbps when transferring files over the network). My iPad 3 maxes out at 35-40Mbps.

The experience, at least with my Internet connection and router, is very different from that shown in the video earlier in the thread. All the sites I use load noticeably faster on the iPad 4.

One's Internet connection speed should be one factor (among many) in the decision of the iPad 4. If you only have 5Mbps Internet service, I suspect you will be constrained on most Internet sites by your Internet connection speed, rather than the processor on the iPad 3. Based on my router's performance monitoring graph, most web sites will load in the 40-50Mbps range if you have the ISP to support it.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

That's defintely believable then. :D

The iPad 3 is limited to around 30mbps.....
The iPad 4 is not capped......if you don't have the equipment or service to support the technology then what would you expect?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's defintely believable then. :D

The iPad 3 is limited to around 30mbps.....
The iPad 4 is not capped......if you don't have the equipment or service to support the technology then what would you expect?

Kind of like driving a Porsche on a rutted country lane, huh? Lol.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you watch the same video I did?
He specifically states there has been issues with speedtest app the day he was testing and it's not reliable and it even freezes.

So, where do you get the iPad 3 was much faster on WiFi?

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm getting 4.4GB down and 161.3 Mbps up. This is a huge difference over my iPad 1. Wifi speed was the first thing I noticed right away when I first started using my new ipad4.

☮♥

Last edited:

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MadChef said:
I'm getting 4.4GB down and 161.3 Mbps up. This is a huge difference over my iPad 1. Wifi speed was the first thing I noticed right away when I first started using my new ipad4.

☮♥

When I did this it was my network speeds results. My results for the Internet were. 10.68 Mbps down and 1.07 Mbps up.
I used the Speed Test. net app. For my network this morning I was getting 5.9GB down and 1.84 Mbps up.

☮♥

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, what started out as a good discussion has descended into name calling, this is unacceptable, the offending posts will now be deleted and any further rudeness will be dealt with in accordance with the forum rules.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What look like reasonably handled speed test results seem to confirm what led me to order iPad 4 -- faster speeds on the same Internet connection, as long as your Internet connection isn't lame, lol.

In general, I don't see the point of posting obviously questionable speed results from YouTube or anywhere else, because it's a waste of time. YouTube, like the Internet, has a lot of useless dreck, as well as good stuff. That's where each user's common sense (or lack of) makes the key diff.

And Gabriel, thanks for intervention.

Last edited:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is my post that got lost in the shuffle.......

WiFi specs...

iPad 3:
Capped @ around 30mbps
Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

iPad 4:
Up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi‑Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps. Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Download Speed Tests.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions