What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the download speed capabilities of iPad 3?

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the extra money on an iPad 4 vs a refurbished iPad 3. Besides the faster processor on the iPad 4 one to the advantages is supposed to be a better WiFi capability. I'm curious if there would really be a need though. They say iPad 4 can get up to 150 mbps but I have the highest FIOS right now and it's 75 mbps so I'll never get to those max speeds for a while.

Anyone know what the maximum speed the iPad 3 can download at?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That question is unanswerable because of how many variables that are involved. To illustrate:

1) Encryption protocol used.
2) Frequency used.
3) Channel used.
4) Distance between devices.
5) EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) present.
6) Antenna used (2 dBi, 5 dBi, 9 dBi) and is there a booster.

Hopefully you get the idea. Now can I give you a decent answer? No. Can I give you insight? Hopefully.

Do this electronics stuff for a living. And I have never been able to get my iPad 3 above 35 mbits sustained on my Fios setup (tests at 85/37 on a hard line). The iPad 3 and 4 only need about 5 mbits top to play back HD video content. And since apps download in background, at 25mbit sustained connection would allow you to download 1 gigabytes in less than 6 minutes.

So while it is very possible that the iPad 4 can be faster, I don't see much of a reason for it other than as marketing fodder.

OP
C

caverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually that was what I was looking for and thought as well. Basically just because the iPad 4 can make faster connections doesn't mean it will. I also figured that like you mentioned, even if it was connected at a lower speed it's still going to be plenty fast enough to do what we need.

Now I'm just in a toss up of iPad 3 for $400 or the new Nexus 10 for $400.

Most reactions

Latest posts