What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

People saying the new iPad is really to hot to hold.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People can say a lot.
If you have a problem with yours see to it.

My iPad is fine. Its all that matters to me since I purchased this one.

tabraha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I run my screen wide open a large amount of the time due to working in bright conditions and while I will occasionally notice a slightly warm spot it is far from hot. I would think this will boil down to some app issues perhaps hanging the processor or are not quite optimized yet. Warmer than my 2's but not even close to the realm of hot...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the legitimate writers are making filler out of this. That means, nothing else is up and they are making up stuff to fill space. They start with noise like its a worry and then end with it being no big deal. It does not get that hot. The issue is probably the fact that the A5X is over 3 times the size of the A5 processor because of the increased graphics and RAM. When going full out, it's like turning three burners on your stove to full blast instead of one.

pkay1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a seven inch galaxy tab as well as an ipad and you can fry an egg on that after about ten minutes on facebook never mind games etc Ipad seems like a fridge in comparisson.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just noticed this for the first time last night. I had it in a leather folio case and decided to fully discharge the battery so turned the brightness up full and turned off autolock. I checked it an hour later and it felt very warm through the case - I touched the metal rear and it was hot. Not untouchably hot but definitely very uncomfortable.This is just the Wifi model with Wifi and Bluetooth turned off and no apps running at all.
I repeated the same with my iPad 2 and it remained cool throughout.
I'm going to test this further but I'm actually thinking of returning this and sticking with the iPad 2. I could accept this if it was an order of magnitude more powerful but it isn't any quicker than the iPad 2 in normal tasks and this is just the result of it idling with full brightness.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
All the legitimate writers are making filler out of this. That means, nothing else is up and they are making up stuff to fill space. They start with noise like its a worry and then end with it being no big deal. It does not get that hot. The issue is probably the fact that the A5X is over 3 times the size of the A5 processor because of the increased graphics and RAM. When going full out, it's like turning three burners on your stove to full blast instead of one.

+1.

It really gets me a bit pissed when the tv people start gawking about this....most of those folks are clueless about tech or anything technical but the have a wide audience and the ability to do a lot of damage in literally a few seconds.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
I just noticed this for the first time last night. I had it in a leather folio case and decided to fully discharge the battery so turned the brightness up full and turned off autolock. I checked it an hour later and it felt very warm through the case - I touched the metal rear and it was hot. Not untouchably hot but definitely very uncomfortable.This is just the Wifi model with Wifi and Bluetooth turned off and no apps running at all.
I repeated the same with my iPad 2 and it remained cool throughout.
I'm going to test this further but I'm actually thinking of returning this and sticking with the iPad 2. I could accept this if it was an order of magnitude more powerful but it isn't any quicker than the iPad 2 in normal tasks and this is just the result of it idling with full brightness.

Why are you using full brightness? It is not good to be looking at an iPad screen (or any screen like this one) at full brightness.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why are you using full brightness? It is not good to be looking at an iPad screen (or any screen like this one) at full brightness.

I was using full brightness in this instance to discharge the battery faster. I typically use it around 30-40% but for the record, when I use the iPad in the gym under bright lighting when I am on the rowing machine or treadmill, I need to use around 90% brightness.
My point is the iPad 3 running full brightness when idle is quite hot whereas the iPad 2 in the same scenario remains cool. If I hear people saying the iPad should not be used @ 100% brightness then the device should not be able to go to 100% - it should be capped ~ 80%. If it goes to 100% then you should be able to do that. I'm starting to think Apple have been a little over ambitious with this model.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strangely enough, mine does get warm, but only when playing Infinity Blade 2 for longer than 15-30mins. I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
I was using full brightness in this instance to discharge the battery faster. I typically use it around 30-40% but for the record, when I use the iPad in the gym under bright lighting when I am on the rowing machine or treadmill, I need to use around 90% brightness.
My point is the iPad 3 running full brightness when idle is quite hot whereas the iPad 2 in the same scenario remains cool. If I hear people saying the iPad should not be used @ 100% brightness then the device should not be able to go to 100% - it should be capped ~ 80%. If it goes to 100% then you should be able to do that. I'm starting to think Apple have been a little over ambitious with this model.

You can use it at 100% brightness but then don't turn around and act like there is some kind of problem. The bright screen with all those pixels and passive cooling, along with a big battery are the reasons for this. As some else said, say hello to physics. If the device burnt up then there might be something to fret about.

TaraMorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Day 7 & loving it; I ve probably done most thinks on the pad except gaming! Watching movies, face-timing non stop, magazines practically jumping @ you! Tremendously chuffed with the pad

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use it at 100% brightness but then don't turn around and act like there is some kind of problem. The bright screen with all those pixels and passive cooling, along with a big battery are the reasons for this. As some else said, say hello to physics. If the device burnt up then there might be something to fret about.

I'm fully aware of what is causing this, I did Physics & Chemistry at school all those years ago - my point is this thing runs very hot just when idling. As I questioned in another forum, would you be happy to let your 6 year old daughter use something on her lap that is hot to the touch just when idling?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
I'm fully aware of what is causing this, I did Physics & Chemistry at school all those years ago - my point is this thing runs very hot just when idling. As I questioned in another forum, would you be happy to let your 6 year old daughter use something on her lap that is hot to the touch just when idling?

Mine does not run "very hot" when just idling. In fact, it does not run very hot at anytime and there would be not problem letting a kid hold it. If your experience is as you say, then yours is defective and you should have it replaced.

Most reactions