What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC does not detect ipad in restore.mode

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 after recent update now stuck in restore mode. PC does not detect when connect via cable. PC does detect iPhone when connected with same cable. Have tried different cables and all usb ports. Reinstalled iTunes per Apple protocol. Restarted Apple mobile support and confirmed on automatic. Device manager does not show Apple usb driver when ipad connected but does when iPhone connected. Able to charge with cable. After hour call with Apple tech, he said need to take into Apple store. No Apple store here in Chile and will not return to USA until.July. any suggestions? Thanks

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might try a different computer, a friend's? With it not hooked to a computer is the screen just black and acts like it won't start at all? My iPad 4 did that. I had to hold the power and home button with the iPad not hooked up to the computer for about thirty seconds to get it to boot again. I then used a different computer to update the iOS. I wish you luck and success with your iPad.

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried 3 different computers and gone thru Apple support 1538 multiple times. I have spents hours on Google searching for solution!

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A. Thanks for welcome. Previously I have also followed Support 1808 procedure. Ipad stuck in recovery mode and cannot change to DFU. PC does not detect/recognize ipad so not sure it would make a difference. Seems to be missing mobile support usb driver. Any idea how to find and install necessary driver? Thanks

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to install mobile support usb driver for ipad 2

As I stated in another thread, PC running Windows 7 does not detect ipad when connected via usb cable. Checking Device Manager for USB Controllers, there is no mobile support usb driver. (When I contact my iphone with same cable, mobile support usb driver is present.) Any idea how to find and install usb driver?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi & welcome to the forum! :) Not sure why your iPhone connects but not the iPad - but you might want to take a look at this Apple Support Article on how to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - might be your issue? Dave

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion. I have already reviewed and implemented this Support Article without success. For whatever reason, AMDS driver does not install when iTunes is re installed--or at least it is not recognized by PC.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That can be found in the first link I posted. If you followed the instructions, it won't be new to you:

image-1383520903.jpg

Perhaps you should follow this procedure to remove iTunes completely and install it again, if you haven't already done so: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
If it doesn't work the first time, try it a second time as well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A. I appreciate your efforts to help. I have deleted and re-installed iTunes 5 times, exactly following the protocol and once with the
assistance of Apple tech. For whatever reason, usb driver does not install. Forget iTunes--PC does not recognize or detect ipad. I have
started another thread in ipad 2 forum re: installing usb driver and think I will make it a general topic since maybe problem not limited to ipad 2. Also ipad is stuck in recovery mode. I am beginning to think it is hardware issue that cannot be repaired. :(

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to install Apple Mobile Support usb driver?

PC will not detect/recognize ipad2. After most recent update, ipad is stuck in recovery mode. When I connect iphone with same cable and to same USB port, iphone is detected and review of Device Manager on PC for USB controllers shows Apple mobile support usb driver is present. When connect ipad with same cable and to same port, PC does not detect or recognize ipad and Apple mobile support usb driver does not appear in Device Manager. I have done everything Apple support protocols have suggested, including re installing itunes, starting Apple mobile support, putting on automatic, etc. (one of protocols says look for AMDS usb driver in Device Manage but does not say what to do if not present, as in my case.) Nothing works. I have spent long time on phone with Apple tech support who suggested I take to Apple store. I currently live in Chile and there is no Apple store here. Apparently I need to install the USB driver independent of the Itunes installation. Any ideas or is my ipad dead after years of faithful service? :(

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I see you have started 3 threads on this issue you are having and have now merged all 3 of these threads, so as to keep all the information concerning your issue in the one place. I have also moved these merged threads to our Help Forum so as to have more members view this and be better able to help you.

Please post all further info on this issue to this thread, as it is much less confusing this way and members who may be able to help you will see all that you have already tried, it is also against our Forum Rules to have multiple threads on any 1 issue.

Good luck with your issue!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you're on an iPad 2, try this, download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 here. Run it as an administrator, and on the first page that shows up, look at the bottom for something like this.

Instead of iPod Touch 4G, you should see iPad 2 followed by whether if it's a data iPad or just a Wifi iPad, followed by your iOS version. Plug your iPad in first, then run RedSn0w as an admin. If you get any error messages cropping up after RedSn0w loads up, take a picture and upload it, or, type out the entire error message.

Screen-Shot-2012-05-07-at-9.06.10-PM.png

OP
D

dscatdan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed redsnOw but it did not detect ipad. Suggested I enter DFU mode on ipad but cannot do so despite following two different methods of doing so. Ipad seems stuck in recovery mode. Again problem seems to be no USB driver

Most reactions

Latest posts