What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad detection problem with Vista and iTunes

raghu11188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the iPad since almost 6 months and have never experienced any connection problems until recently.
The iPad wouldn't charge when connected to PC, but it would at least connect and sync.

Recently, since 3 days I started facing this problem. The computer doesn't show up anything when I connect my iPad, nor does the iPad even blink when the cable is plugged in. It doesn't even show the "Not Charging" sign. iTunes used to start up automatically but now it doesn't. Even Vista doesn't seem to recognize it anywhere because I don't find the iPad listed in the USB devices
Strangely I don't face the same problem with my iPhone 3G.

I've updated it to the latest iOS 4.3 and I'm also using the latest iTunes 10.2.2.14 and the latest USB drivers.
I'm using Windows Vista on Dell Desktop with Intel core 2 duo.

Before you suggest, I want to let you know I've tried out the following
1) restarted iPad
2) restarted PC
3) erased and reinstalled all apple software (iTunes, QuickTime, bonjour etc)
4) updated USB drivers and also ran a virus check.
5) stopped and restarted the Apple Device service.

I haven't changed the cable and checked and I don't think there would be a problem with the cable because the iPad and iPhone charge perfectly when connected through that cable.
as I've already mentioned, I don't have the problem with my iPhone.

Is anybody here faced/facing the same problem?
I'd be really thankful if you have a solution.

PS: I've installed ASIO4all drivers and Soundmax audio drivers. Could they be causing this problem?

Regards,
Raghu

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds as if you have worked your way through most things. I would not dismiss the possiblity of a small bent or broken pin or pins on the cable. It may still charge, but not connect. I would get another one and try it.... Borrow if you can :)

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok you have pretty much ruled out the computer . . .. .

Now take your Ipad to a apple store or a best buy and see if one of their computer will detect your Ipad. Try that with your cable and try it with one of their cables.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't see you say you'd tried a different USB port. This often solves it. Also, you are not using a hub, right? Try swapping the cable into a different port.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since we have heard nothing from this chap for a while, maybe he is getting a new iPad Or PC?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have essentially the same setup, and it happens to me sometimes too. i just unplug and replug. seems to work better if itunes is NOT running when i plug it, i let the connection open the prog...

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once in a blue moon that happens to me and I resolve it by

removing my cable from a USB hub and connect it directly to the computer's USB port. One failure necessitated replacing the Apple cable, not a problem as I have 4 or 5 around the house.

OP
R

raghu11188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok.. I haven't disappeared. :)

I was just waiting to borrow my friend's cable. I have only one.

And yes, I am not connecting it to any hub. I connect it directly to the USB port of the computer. Tried every port.

Will check with a different cable tomorrow and get back to you guys. Thank you so much. :)

TrackRat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a tough time getting my windows xp to recognize my iPad. When I first bought the iPad I actually had to plug it into m wife's Mac book just to jump start it. Then I plugged it into my IBM laptop without an issue. Since then... No joy.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Missed It

Ok you have pretty much ruled out the computer . . .. .

Now take your Ipad to a apple store or a best buy and see if one of their computer will detect your Ipad. Try that with your cable and try it with one of their cables.

And they are gunnig for me?....

:confused:

OP
R

raghu11188

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've checked with a different cable, but of no avail... Anything else before I take it to the iStore??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And you've tried ALL the USB ports on your computer, not just the same one?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
raghu11188 said:
Ok guys, I've checked with a different cable, but of no avail... Anything else before I take it to the iStore??

I think the only thing left is to make sure USB ports are working on the PC. If they are, then back it goes I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts