What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password Locked IPAD stuck in "Connect to itunes" mode

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My jailbroken IPAD 3G 64GB suddenly decided to go to the "Connect to Itunes" screen. The first time, I rebooted it and it was ok and came back to regular mode. After a few hours, its gone back to the "Connect to Itunes" screen, and this time, I have tried to connect it to itunes on my computer (to which it regularly gets synced) but as the ipad is password locked, the computer refuses to connect to it saying that the ipad is locked, and cannot be synced.

How do i rectify this?? Anyone else had the same problem??

Thanks a lot!!

OP
V

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update to the situation.. after a number of hard reboots, the ipad came back to life, and the first thing I did was to remove the password lock. It worked for about half an hour before heading back to "Connect to itunes" screen. It didn't start on multiple reboots and has sprung back to life again after connecting it to the computer (itunes). I am not sure when it could go back to the same mode. Any suggestions/ideas on how to prevent it from crashing again?

john reilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi ya how did you reboot her i have the same problem and only bought it yest thanks

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reboot, hold the power button down to "slide to power off" slide, then wait a few mins and turn back on...

Reset, Hold power button and home key (circle button) down past the "slide to power off" screen until the apple logo comes up...

You won't lose info.

OP
V

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I've been struggling with mine ever since. Restore did seem to have fixed it up temporarily though.

My ipad is a 64GB 3G. It's on 3.2.1 and jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. I have been restoring it back to 3.2.1 by holding the alt key when clicking restore, and changing the hosts file by adding

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

to fool the system into checking with apple that I am restoring it with the latest copy of the OS.

It works fine with just a normal restore, but after jailbreaking it again, and installing ***** REMOVED ***** as well as restoring all the downloaded apps, and then switching on the 3G network, it becomes unstable. Either there is a problem with the jailbreak which makes it unstable and takes it to the initial activation screen with "Connect to itunes" when rebooted, or there is a problem with ***** and installing the other apps, or something is interfering with the network capabilities (3G) and it crashes due to it. I am unable to figure out clearly.

I've gone through this process multiple times now, but there isn't any clear point where the problem starts. And once the problem starts, it doesn't show up every time. At times, I am able to reboot it normally, at times it boots only when connected to the computer.. and at times, it takes many times to be able to boot up..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
V

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem seems to be stemming very early.. I rebooted my ipad right after restoring it with ipad 3.2.1 firmware, and rebooted it.. it went straight to the "Connect to itunes" screen. Should I try the latest firmware.. would it help? I would have to lose my ability to jailbreak in that case..? I had bought it in UK and am now in India. So its not possible to return it and get a brand new one easily.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem seems to be stemming very early.. I rebooted my ipad right after restoring it with ipad 3.2.1 firmware, and rebooted it.. it went straight to the "Connect to itunes" screen. Should I try the latest firmware.. would it help? I would have to lose my ability to jailbreak in that case..? I had bought it in UK and am now in India. So its not possible to return it and get a brand new one easily.

Hi you are one of the hundred example of how the JB is like a pain in the ass … if you want to have your device working you have to restore it and forget your JB otherwise the only solution you have but not so sure your problem will be solved at 100% …

is install one by one each JB app’s and try , if no trouble install the next until you find witch one made the device unstable

the problem can come from only one app’s or the combination of two

PS: for exchange you can return it India Apple service center :
India (91) 1800 4250 744
or
(91) 80-4140-9000
Apple - Support

Hope that help

OP
V

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've figured out that the problem is not with the jailbreak. It is with the 3g network.
I restored my ipad with 3.2.1 firmware and then set it up as a new ipad without restoring any apps. I then rebooted the ipad with success multiple times to confirm that there wasn't any problem. Even though I had a sim card placed in the holder, it only showed my an iPad at the top left (just like an Ipad wifi). I then reset the network settings and it rebooted and voila - I was again left at the connect to itunes screen. And after connecting it to itunes, and rebooting it multiple times, the ipad remains stuck on the "Connect to itunes" screen, and the Macbook refuses to recognize it... saying i need to restore. So the problem is not with any jailbreak but with the 3g. Any idea if this is a common issue?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've figured out that the problem is not with the jailbreak. It is with the 3g network.
I restored my ipad with 3.2.1 firmware and then set it up as a new ipad without restoring any apps. I then rebooted the ipad with success multiple times to confirm that there wasn't any problem. Even though I had a sim card placed in the holder, it only showed my an iPad at the top left (just like an Ipad wifi). I then reset the network settings and it rebooted and voila - I was again left at the connect to itunes screen. And after connecting it to itunes, and rebooting it multiple times, the ipad remains stuck on the "Connect to itunes" screen, and the Macbook refuses to recognize it... saying i need to restore. So the problem is not with any jailbreak but with the 3g. Any idea if this is a common issue?

Concerning the 3G , maybe you need to enter the APN setting …. you can try to use RecBoot 1.0.2 but not sure that will solve definitively your problem … it have solve many case i know but your look like more complicated

timw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue. I had the issue with 3.2.1 I updated it to the latest version last week...got same issue. After dozens of reboots the ipad allowed me to enter the passcode. I then restored the ipad back to factory settings, then installed my apps and content. It has now locked again this time (after about 30 reboots - still no way to get in). Called Apple...they just want to sell me a support contract. This seems to be a common issue and I can't believe this 'easy to use device' is so bl**dy temperamental. Seems from my research there is no answer out there for this issue - clearly this is a bug that is effecting many people.

OP
V

vb7ue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are able to unlock it, don't put the password on. It's much tougher to get it working with the pwd enabled. I figured it was probably something in my 100 odd apps downloaded. I did a fresh install and did not recover it from backup. I've upgraded it to 4.2 and haven't jail broken it and it's behaving fine now. I do dread the "connect to iTunes" screen. But not sure whom to blame.. Apple or some random app I had.

Last edited by a moderator:

sato3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My jailbroken IPAD 3G 64GB suddenly decided to go to the "Connect to Itunes" screen. The first time, I rebooted it and it was ok and came back to regular mode. After a few hours, its gone back to the "Connect to Itunes" screen, and this time, I have tried to connect it to itunes on my computer (to which it regularly gets synced) but as the ipad is password locked, the computer refuses to connect to it saying that the ipad is locked, and cannot be synced.

How do i rectify this?? Anyone else had the same problem??

Thanks a lot!!

I have the same problem as his. Tried the suggestion even if mine isn't JB. Still the computer refuses to connect and sync.
It's frustrating....:(
Will I get a replacement?

ravengirl18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how i restore my ipad? it is currently stuck at the "connect to iTunes" screen. I saw several of you mention it, but not give directions on how to restore. My computer also only sees it as an iPad camera, and my iTunes doesnt see it at all, does anyone know how to fix this without me having to send it back?

Most reactions

Latest posts