What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode

315Lamps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, I have my iPad and recently one of my friends had "accidentally" changed my passcord and can't "remember" it >____>.

I know that from here I should just use a backup and restore my device but when I did it came up with the message:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes."

I did some research, and apparently this is because my iPad has a passcode, I need to enter it before I can back it up. However, I don't know that passcode and I have no means of finding out what it is. Also if it matters, the computer I normally synced it to is not with me right now and I won't be getting it back until a week.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do a hard reset/restore without using my original computer/laptop I synced it with while it's locked by a passcode that I don't know of?

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to wait until you have access to the computer which has your backups.

Once you do, you can restore it and use a backup which predates the password. Otherwise, you have no choice but to restore from scratch using a different computer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP

315Lamps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otherwise, you have no choice but to restore from scratch using a different computer.

I don't think I can afford to wait. I would rather do a restore from scratch... Do you have any idea on how to do that?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to do it without access to a computer.

Assuming you have a computer available, plug it in and use iTunes to restore to factory settings. When you have access to your own computer you can restore again from your backup.

OP

315Lamps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you have a computer available, plug it in and use iTunes to restore to factory settings.

Well I did try it on my separate computer, but the message "iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes." pops up and I don't know what the passcode is. Apparently it won't let me restore without it. Unless there's away to just disregard it and restore it, I wouldn't mind losing my info; it didn't have any pictures or videos that I didn't already transfer to my computer.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you authorise the other computer? That might do it. It's under the Store menu on iTunes.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Glad it worked. Next thing is to keep your buddy away from it.

Most reactions

Latest posts