What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pairing iPad to cell phone.

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to connect to my phone from Bluetooth, I get a message asking if my device name is a certain number. Where do I find my device name??? On the ipad, I get "Pairing Unsuccessful".

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The name of your iPad can be found in Settings - General - About - Name:

image-1723475282.jpg

If you're asked for the name of your phone, it will be in it's settings somewhere.
I suppose the number you see is a confirmation code. The iPad wants you to confirm that the number is displayed on your phone. You'll have to confirm on the phone that you see the same number that your iPad shows. Then pairing should be successful.

OP
E

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The phone recognizes the ipad, the codes are recognized in both, but the ipad still won't pair.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look for "Tethering" or "Mobile Hotspot" or something like that on your phone. If it's a SGS 3, like mine, it's in Settings. This should help connect both devices without number.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we know why you are trying to pair the two devices?

The reason I ask: generally, the only "pairing" that can be done between two devices [with Bluetooth] is to set up one as a hotspot so the other can access the Internet with it. You can't pair devices to control the other.

The iDevices really only Bluetooth pair with peripherals such as headphones and keyboards, not another phone, tablet or computer.

Marilyn

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my phone I turn on Bluetooth, Tethering using Bluetooth, I am told that my phone has paired successfully but my ipad insists I am not connected. Sometimes, just sometimes I manage to tether. All seems to work well mobile wise but my ipad seems to have difficulty with tethering. I apologise if this appears to hijack this post but I started another thread before I saw this.
Mike

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Johanna & Marilyn as usual are correct. When you first attempt to tether your ipad with your mobile you will be asked if the same numerical code is shown on both devices. When you say yes you will find that they are paired and the settings saved for the future. Tethering is more complicated than using mobile hotspot, which is what I am using at the moment, to use mobile hotspot, switch on WiFi on your ipad, turn on mobile hotspot on your phone and bongo. That easy. Make sure you have the right payment plan to use the internet.

OP
E

EstherN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep to all of that. Ipad and phone recognize each other, but ipad won't pair. My phone is willing; my iPad ain't. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts