What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly cant think of any time or reason I would want to use it outside...so its not a concern for me.

You a vampire or something?

You ever read a book at the beach/pool/deck? I enjoy sitting on balcony, watching my game on tv, surfing on the web, all while enjoying my great skyline views on a warm spring/summer afternoon....luckily, as long as there is a good breeze, the thing seems to stay cool enough so far....watch out for that black background on kindle in the sunlight!

If I'm going outdoors I see no need for a computer....if I need to check my email I have a phone.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read about people saying they will not use their iPad in the sun or outdoors. I asked this before and I will ask it again.

You people that are having this problem of it overheating in the direct sunlight, how can you see the screen?

I cannot see the screen on my iPad in direct sunlight, so I move to a location in the shade to see the screen. I can not tell you if it overheats in the sun, since I can not see the screen, I have no intention of ever using it in the direct sunlight.

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad, just like a laptop, smartphone or other electronic gadget with a reflective screen, can be used and seen outside in the sunlight but depending on the angle will have some restrictions due to glare. So far the Ipad is the only one though to overheat and not function after a very short while in sunshine with otherwise cool air temperature. That's a problem with the Ipad, not the Ipad user.

It is designed to be used to consume media most everywhere and there is no warning on the box it came in that says it is not designed to be used in sunlight. To the contrary, like the e-readers, a big selling point is to be able to take a lot of reading material with you outside and wherever you travel in a single thin digital package without having to drag along a backpack full of dead tree books and magazines.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read about people saying they will not use their iPad in the sun or outdoors. I asked this before and I will ask it again.

You people that are having this problem of it overheating in the direct sunlight, how can you see the screen?

I cannot see the screen on my iPad in direct sunlight, so I move to a location in the shade to see the screen. I can not tell you if it overheats in the sun, since I can not see the screen, I have no intention of ever using it in the direct sunlight.

Most of us stating problems using our iPads in direct sunlight are stating scenarios where we are using our iPads outdoors in open daylight where the sun beats down on us and our iPads in direct sunlight thus creating problems with our iPads overheating possibly due to the use in direct sunlight. I think 'most' of us using our iPads in direct sunlight conditions, and maybe doings so while enjoying an nice cold one, are shifting or angling the iPad screen away from the suns direct rays to lessen the reflection the sun causes when viewing the screen. Kind of what you do when your trying to read the time on your wrist watch while in direct sun light, you know,, you have to shift and angle your wrist to get the clearest view.. I hope this helps explain how to use iPad in direct sunlight. If you Google 'how to use i pad in direct sunlight" you will find many interesting articles. Some folks are having really good experiences using their Ipad in direct sunlight.. :confused:

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overheating

Well, I am sad to say now on my 4th unit and today with an outside temp of 77 in Atlanta, GA my iPad failed due to the heat issue.

Once the unit cooled I restarted and read outside but not in the direct sunlight for over an hour without issue.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I was in Louisiana last week the temp was in the mid 70's but the sun seemed really hot, so I tried reading in the sun, I managed to find an angle where I could sort of see the screen and managed to struggle through reading for about 10 minutes, I wanted to see if I could make my unit overheat but trying to see it while in the sun was not worth it, so I laid it on a towel on the trunk of my car, turned on in the book app. I let it sit there for over an hour and although it was very warm from the heat of the sun, it was still operating.

I'm glad it did not overheat, but I still could not imagine trying to read while in the sun, so even if there had been a problem, it wouldn't have been one for me.

I also thought I would set my Macbook Pro in the same environment, on the trunk with sun shining on the screen and keyboard. Within minutes the fan was on high even though there were no programs running at the time and the display was set to energy save (using integrated video). It did continue to operate but had almost killed my battery due to the high speed fan in less than an hour.

I guess the heat of the sun may be an issue for many products, it is just more likely that someone would use an iPad in direct sun than many other products such as laptops.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My replacement is doing the same thing. I suspect when summer arrives we are going to hear a lot more about this issue.. Not that I think it will solve the problem, I'm taking unit two to the Apple store tomorrow for another replacement. :confused:

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All these posts are really making me feel very lucky. I live in Arizona where the temperatures are already reaching mid 90s. I read outside quite a bit and have never had my iPad overheat.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all of this happening, I still wonder if there is software code linking the light sensor to the temperature sensor. Sunshine to me appears to set off warnings much too quickly.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all of this happening, I still wonder if there is software code linking the light sensor to the temperature sensor. Sunshine to me appears to set off warnings much too quickly.

That would make the most sense. I've been reading outside at work on my lunch breaks when it's been up to 94 degrees. Mine has never overheated, BUT I am sitting in the shade with no direct sunlight hitting the iPad.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the Point in Returning IPAD for 2nd or 3rd Ipad?

To the folks who are on their 2nd or 3rd ipad due to overheating what is the POINT in continuing to return yours for another unit??

I think its pretty clear that its not "YOUR" unit - its "ALL Units 64GB" given the right conditions. Note - Is it just 64 GB units or are folks overheating on 16's 32's etc...?

If I saw that folks who swapped units out for new units were solving their problems then I'd get in line as well but at this point it appears that this is not the case.

TESTED - I have 2 64's-

Had one of them give the Sun Error last week while sitting outside watching tennis lessons - within 5 minutes of direct sun (High 72 degrees) light it was all over. This was my first attempt to use the Pad in direct sun light. Waited 10 minutes tried again and it went out within 2 minutes.

Today I took both of my 64's out side and used them in Direct Sun Light (High's in the high 60's- low 70's") the first one died right at 7 minutes and the next one got the error at 11 minutes.

For me the KILLER APP for the Ipad's is reading at the Beach. The good news is that my beach setup includes several large umbrella's and so far I have not had any overheating after hours and hours of reading/using the Ipad with MIFI at the beach - Under Umbrella - and a nice cool breeze from the ocean.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the folks who are on their 2nd or 3rd ipad due to overheating what is the POINT in continuing to return yours for another unit??

I think its pretty clear that its not "YOUR" unit - its "ALL Units 64GB" given the right conditions. Note - Is it just 64 GB units or are folks overheating on 16's 32's etc...?

If I saw that folks who swapped units out for new units were solving their problems then I'd get in line as well but at this point it appears that this is not the case.

TESTED - I have 2 64's-

Had one of them give the Sun Error last week while sitting outside watching tennis lessons - within 5 minutes of direct sun (High 72 degrees) light it was all over. This was my first attempt to use the Pad in direct sun light. Waited 10 minutes tried again and it went out within 2 minutes.

Today I took both of my 64's out side and used them in Direct Sun Light (High's in the high 60's- low 70's") the first one died right at 7 minutes and the next one got the error at 11 minutes.

For me the KILLER APP for the Ipad's is reading at the Beach. The good news is that my beach setup includes several large umbrella's and so far I have not had any overheating after hours and hours of reading/using the Ipad with MIFI at the beach - Under Umbrella - and a nice cool breeze from the ocean.
You're the perfect candidate for an experiment. Could you try that what you did again with the light sensor obliterated on one of the two devices?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is the 64gig, each ocassion when I got the error was when I am either reading WS or one of my subscriptions on Zinio

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have one of my 64's in the sun tomorrow (same tennis lesson's) -

Where is the sensor (Square above the charger pins?)

Wondering if just covering the sensor by hand will work or if blue tape would be a better option.

TESTED - I have 2 64's-

You're the perfect candidate for an experiment. Could you try that what you did again with the light sensor obliterated on one of the two devices?

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised units are overheating. The front is glass and the back is aluminum. The two best materials for holding and trapping heat. I will not not be using my iPad in hot sunny weather.

Most reactions

Latest posts