What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating?

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overheating

Well my repleacement unit did the same thing as my original. It was 70F today in Atlanta,GA so I sat out on my deck in the direct sunlight enjoying a beer and reading, well 20 minutes later I get the temp warning and the unit shuts off.

So what have it learned with 2 units, iPad + 70f + 20 min + direct sunlight = a door stop!!!!!!

Harsh but true, I guess Apple made a inside product... FYI my iPhone was fine.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the issue is direct sunlight. Can / have you tried this while under an umbrella? I'm curious if that fixes the issue.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious, though I've had no problems with temperature even today while sitting in around 75 degree sunlight connected to my Bose speakers. It played for several hours without problems.

But what I want to know is how the heck you guys can even see the screen in direct sunlight. At full brightness I can barely see it to change songs.

I couldn't imagine trying to read on it or watch a video on it while in direct sunlight.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know - if this is the problem I'm sure someone / some vendor (hint hint hint) can design a UV screen protector - something that would reflect the sunlight

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wife and i just got back from a long weekend vist to Southern Calif, a 1,000 mile round trip from Sacramento Valley. Doc has me on some pain meds :) so i couldn't drive. I fired up my Sprint MiFi and iPad and enjoyed uninterrupted WiFi service with both my iPad and 13" MacBook most of the trip. Odd thing,, sitting in the passenger seat with sun bearing down on the iPad, never once did it overheat, but sittin outside it does. We were sitting on Santa Monica Pier Saturday afternoon and it overheated twice...
I did get a chance to take the Sprint 3G/4G MiFi to the 'test' and I give it 5 big stars!! I carried the little 'hot spot' in a little hip pouch and had WiFi service wherever. I basically had uninterrupted 3G service along the I5 freeway from Sacramento to LA.. and everywhere between LA and San Diego. If the 3G iPad works that well, you guys/gals will love it... I did check out the 3G service area maps between Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. Verizon has most service areas covered followed by Sprint and AT&T. All of them having roaming agreements. Not sure what that means with other carriers, but Sprint charges .05 cents a min for roaming with non-partners.. And that sucks, cause how are you suppose to know if you roam with a non-partner???? I checked my Sprint account earlier today and had no roaming fees so I guess my 'Hot Spot' never roamed on my trip.... I can tell you i was never bored on the 7-hour each way trip..The iPad is defiantly an awesome travel companion.

Last edited:

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently Seattle is too hot in April for the Ipad. Shut down with heat warning yesterday on the patio in the sun. All of 64 degrees at the time. No such problem with laptop or Droid at same time. Ipad only usable outdoors on cloudy, cool days? That sucks.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently Seattle is too hot in April for the Ipad. Shut down with heat warning yesterday on the patio in the sun. All of 64 degrees at the time. No such problem with laptop or Droid at same time. Ipad only usable outdoors on cloudy, cool days? That sucks.

I was able to use mine in 83 degree direct sunlight for 3 hr with no issues, but I had a strong breeze... Later on my trip, it was only 72 degrees, but no wind and I had 2 warnings...

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This overheating issue could really have some merit to it.

If this thing really only allows us to use the iPad indoors or outdoors in cool breezy weather...THIS REALLY DOES SUCK!!!!

Cya

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overheating

Well I had mine replaced again for the second time today.

Here are the specs for the Thermal Shutdowns

1. Direct Sunlight for 20 Minutes of use in iBooks
2. Outside Temp 70f

The Apple Tool reports the temp that the iPad shut of is 125f

It is amazing the amount of heat the screen can pull in with a 70f day. This is my last unit before I give up.

A point to note is Apple senior support has acknowledged the issue on the phone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly cant think of any time or reason I would want to use it outside...so its not a concern for me.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly cant think of any time or reason I would want to use it outside...so its not a concern for me.

You a vampire or something?

You ever read a book at the beach/pool/deck? I enjoy sitting on balcony, watching my game on tv, surfing on the web, all while enjoying my great skyline views on a warm spring/summer afternoon....luckily, as long as there is a good breeze, the thing seems to stay cool enough so far....watch out for that black background on the kindle app in the sunlight!

Last edited:

hendjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A point to note is Apple senior support has acknowledged the issue on the phone.

Did they aknowledge that there were reports made of outside overheating and that there is an actual problem in this regard with the Ipad, or just that they have received some reports?

Its important that reports are made, not for purposes of whining, but to get the message across that some adjustment is needed to cool these things down. Otherwise there will be no chance of using these outdoors during the summer months, or most of the year in the Sunbelt states.

Maybe a small portable Ipad fan (in white of course) will the next geeky accessory that we are all going to need. :)

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the issue is the screen magnifying direct sunlight into the unit - maybe a supplier could build some kind of UV filter cover that doesn't effect use.

Vendors?????

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a call from my local Apple store tonight asking me to make an appointment to replace my iPad due to the heat issues I'm having. If you remember from my prior posts on this topic, Apple stated they would let me return and exchange for a 3G model and pay the difference. The person that called me tonight is a factory rep in Sunnyvale. She states I can not exchange mine for the 3G as I was told last week and she goes on trying to get me to exchange by appointment tomorrow. I told her I can't do it tomorrow, so she insist that she fed x a replacement with a return carton and I must return my faulty unit within 24 hours. Well, I choose this route but I must say from the tone of this conversation, I felt they were in a big hurry to get my faulty unit back quickly. Gosh Darn!!! I was really pumped thinking I would end up with a 3G..:mad: and I wonder why they seem so pushy to get the faulty one back:confused:

Easrthdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Did they aknowledge that there were reports made of outside overheating and that there is an actual problem in this regard with the Ipad, or just that they have received some reports?

According tot the Tech he was a senior tech assigned to my ticket and he said "here is MY email address" and "test the new unit ASAP" and to let him know what happens. He said "They WILL fix the issue". All this implied they had taken the issue serious and were more than aware of the issue. I even mentioned my limited review of the issue on the internet implied it was just the 64's but he confirmed they are seeing this on other unit sizes as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts