What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over temp my problem

garyt01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in the Boston area. It was about 70 today. I was using my Ipad on the back of a boat for about 15 minutes and it shut down due to over temp. I called tech support and was informed that the fix was not to use the iPad in the sun. I explained that it was only 70 in Boston and that met their specs. Wrong their specs are for the inside temperature. I guess no one who goes to the beach or likes to read outside should purchase ipads. I tried to convince them that this was a serious design flaw and was informed that it wasn't and this was my problem. I then stated that a warning should be placed on their web site that the Ipad will not work in sun light. They stated their specs covered that.

This is a serious design flaw that Apple is trying to bury and blame on how the customer uses their product. I would not like to recall a million units however they blew the design and expect their customers to tolerate their stupidity. Since this is the first majot Apple product I have purchased I ask is Apple always this bad?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Here is the thing. If there really is a problem apple with fix it in future production. Onece that happens you have a year to walk into the apple store and get it replaced.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's my experiance that the iPad is practicallly unusable in the outdoors, even on overcast days, due to screen glare. That alone will keep me from getting the 'overheat' shutdown.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in the Boston area. It was about 70 today. I was using my Ipad on the back of a boat for about 15 minutes and it shut down due to over temp. I called tech support and was informed that the fix was not to use the iPad in the sun. I explained that it was only 70 in Boston and that met their specs. Wrong their specs are for the inside temperature. I guess no one who goes to the beach or likes to read outside should purchase ipads. I tried to convince them that this was a serious design flaw and was informed that it wasn't and this was my problem. I then stated that a warning should be placed on their web site that the Ipad will not work in sun light. They stated their specs covered that.

This is a serious design flaw that Apple is trying to bury and blame on how the customer uses their product. I would not like to recall a million units however they blew the design and expect their customers to tolerate their stupidity. Since this is the first majot Apple product I have purchased I ask is Apple always this bad?

I have had mine replaced twice and now on the third unit since two weeks ago. So far I'm not seeing the overheating issue yet and I've been using the iPad in same conditions of the last two. I'm not going to knock on wood yet butni think this replacement fixed my problems

OP
G

garyt01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple would not consider a replacement. Their attitude was since it was in the sun it was my fault and I should know better and use the iPad inside. It was very similar to Audi about 15 years ago when their cars experienced sudden acceleration and placed the blame on their stupid customers. I for one am tired of giving companies my money and they when I have a problem with a product that shouldn't be there its blamed on me. I guess business would be great if it wasn't for all the dumb customers!

espressomiata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, think this is an understated issue. I became acquainted with the overheated shutdown using Trapster while driving a convertible. I guess in-car use will have to be limited to hardtops-with-the-A/C-on conditions. Seems as though the iPad is turning out to be not so mobile afterall!
And BTW: I don't have a huge issue with visibility in sunlight. I agree that sunshine does reduce visibility but doesn't make it unuseable.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very strange. I sat out by the pool in the sun when it was in the 80s recently. I had no visibility issues and the iPad never even felt warm to the touch. I wonder if only certain units are affected, or if I was just lucky. Its strange to read these reports, I've had laptops that that would get so hot, you couldnt hold your hand to them and they ran fine. The ipad never even feels warm to me.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing the overheat warning on this last one i got. I use mine a lot out doors, mostly during the day on breaks at work and outdoors on my motorcycle to log my motorcycle road trips. My wife uses her Nook all the time outdoors and never ever got any such erors. I also notice this one never feels warm or hot like the first two.

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't offer any help to the OP, but I thought that I would share that it was nearly 100 degrees here in Houston today. I used mine out by the pool for several hours this afternoon. Reading mags, surfing the net, and letting it play music when I went swimming to cool off. Mine never did shut down nor overheat.

espressomiata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention my first experience with the overheating warning: After leaving the iPad in the car for a while, I'll turn it on and it will run for just a couple minutes and then shut down with the warning. It'll run just fine after the A/C cools the car down but refuses to run until then. This was on several moderately warm days in the mid 80's but of course the car gets pretty hot inside with the sun beaming in. Still, my GPS and radar detector don't have any problems with this heat. Why should the iPad. Oh, and the exterior of the iPad has never felt hot to the touch.
Based on others not having any problem at all, I'm wondering if some devices have this problem while others do not. Somebody with access to a group of iPads should do a test that would prove if this is a defect issue or not. Obviously Apple isn't doing anything about the majority of complaints.

womp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure urs was defect, I take mine in the sauna everyday after workouts, I have no probes whatsoever..

I'm glad to hear that the sauna causes no problems for you. We recently bought a sauna that came with an MP3 connector and iPod-sized shelf inside, so it seems that the sauna manufacturer expects that portable Apple devices will be used in it. We set the temp. at 126ºF and typically stay in for 20 to 30 minutes with no overheating alerts so far. The sauna has a default 90 minute timer that automatically turns it off if we forget. Yesterday, I watched the last 45 minutes of a Netflix movie on the iPad in the sauna that I'd been streaming on TV, when my wife told me that the sauna was nice and hot. I'd be interested to read more experiences concerning use of the iPad and its i-Brethren in the sauna.

Official iPad operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Last edited:

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My very first experience with the iPad shutting off because of high temperature was April 3, 2010, the day I got my first iPad. I was sitting outside on the deck in the sun (temperature in the 60s, but that's irrelevant) enjoying my first several minutes with it when it shut down. It cooled down in the shade and I kept it under the umbrella while using it with no problems. However, on at least one other occasion while using it in direct sun it shut off. I never saw it as a problem with the iPad - I saw it as a problem with the sun causing it to heat up beyond its limits.

Susan

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is crazy... I live in Dubai, where it gets stupidly hot. I just spent the weekend, in the shade, reading magazines and playing games, and no issues with overheating, and it was pretty warm outside.

Weird that these suckers can overheat.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not had overheating problems with iPad, but my iPod touch 4 auto-locked with an overheating warning while charging recently. Goofy, because I charge all my iDevices in the same settings all the time, in central air all year long.

Most reactions

Latest posts