What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook.com mail account unable to move messages

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 4 and have always used the default mail app without any issues. I started using a outlook.com email account on my iPad maybe a year ago and again no issues... until recently. I'm now getting an unable to move messages error screen when trying to delete emails. This started maybe a couple if months ago.

I have a couple more email accounts Gmail & Yahoo on my mail app but I don't get the error message on them just the outlook.com account. I've went to Settings > Mail > Outlook.com account and turned Mail off and it may let you delete an email but immediately reverts back to not being able to move messages.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the outlook.com account again but it reverts back same way turning Mail off does.

Any idea (1) what's going on (2) why did it just start doing it (3) and why with just my outlook.com account?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Open the Mail app, and take a look at all your mailboxes. Open each Trash mailbox, and search for a folder called "Error". If you find a folder with this label, delete it.

If you can't find an "Error" folder, go to Settings - Mail - Accounts. Select the Outlook account. Go to Account at the top, where you also see your Outlook email address and select it. Then choose Advanced Settings. Make sure "Deleted Mailbox" is checkmarked in "Move Discarded Messages to".

Hope that helps.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply J. A. and sorry for not getting back sooner. I didn't find any "error" folders so went on to Settings to see if "Deleted Mailbox" was checked. It was but also checked my Yahoo & Gmail accounts and the latter was checked to "Archive Mailbox"... I changed it to "Deleted Mailbox".

I don't seem to be getting the "unable to move messages" error now (at least yesterday & today) but surely that's a coincidence. Changing the Gmail setting shouldn't have anything to do with my getting the error message with my Outlook.com account, correct?

I do view my mail by using "All Inboxes" but again that shouldn't have anything to do my "unable to move messages" error correct?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, using All Inboxes shouldn't have an influence on your problem.

I'm glad it's working now. No idea why changing settings in Gmail should help.
Did you set up the account using the Outlook.com option?
IMG_6635.JPG

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after a day and a half of not getting the error message it's doing it again just not every time I delete an email just randomly.

Yes I did set it up that way. It's just so strange just started doing this a month ago or so after using the outlook.com mail on my iPad for a year.

Most reactions

Latest posts