What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One third of iPad Owners Has Yet to Download A Single App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Fortune reports today on a survey of 5,000 owners of wireless devices such as iPads, iPhones and Kindles by Nielsen entitled “The Connected Devices Playbookâ€, which has elected to divide iPad owners into three separate groups. The first group, which makes up 63% of the total, has truly dived into the whole iPad experience with both feet, buying games and apps, reading books, shopping and so on, as seen in the above table courtesy of Nielsen. The second group, which comprises of a surprisingly very low 5%, has only ever downloaded free apps. The third group is the biggest surprise of all, being made up of 32% of iPad owners who have NEVER downloaded a single app, not even a freebie! I’m guessing these are maybe the people who like to use their iPad solely for surfing the net, watching videos on YouTube and reading their emails. There’s certainly plenty that you can do with an iPad with the pre-installed default apps, but that’s a very high figure of users who have managed to resist the temptation of buying any apps. Not even Angry Birds!

Source: Fortune

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
5000 owners? not even .1% of the iPads sold... That isnt even a good representation of the number sold in the first weekend of release.

One of the reasons surveys should be taken with the same grain of salt as all statistics... Cause we all know, "95% of statistics are made up on the spot."

DroidUser84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dekyon is absolutely right. However even if they had tested more users, it still doesn't take into account all the jailbroken iPads that have users who never buy apps at all and just steal them all.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5000 owners? not even .1% of the iPads sold... That isnt even a good representation of the number sold in the first weekend of release.

One of the reasons surveys should be taken with the same grain of salt as all statistics... Cause we all know, "95% of statistics are made up on the spot."

It depends on how the sample size was selected, e.g. was it systemic or random, or how stratified the sample was. But all other factors aside, from in a population of 3 million (i.e. total of iPad owners), a sample size of 5000 will yield a 99.5% confidence level with a 2% margin of error, which is good enough for most analyses.

MaggieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsforipads.net
My guess is that those iPad "users" are the older generation buyers that are using their iPads interactively rather than proactively, reading email, surfing the web and such... They probably don't download onto their PCs either.

Before someone says something ...I am 55 so I am not being judgmental ...just practical.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess is that those iPad "users" are the older generation buyers that are using their iPads interactively rather than proactively, reading email, surfing the web and such... They probably don't download onto their PCs either.

Before someone says something ...I am 55 so I am not being judgmental ...just practical.

Lol I can't let that go without saying something. I'm almost 58 and I'm not even the oldest mod in this forum. There are indications from one of our own polls that 50+ people are a good percentage of Forum members. I don't necessarily think you're wrong. But I've downloaded quite a few apps and deleted several. I just think that survey is wrong.

I just paid 10.00 for an app. Some of the prices are high, that may slow some people down.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The whole idea behid the iPad's success is it's makes the pc and appliance or toy, rather than requiring all sorts of software and training to work it. No surprise that many people use it as just that. I could get by without most of the apps I've got; in a pinch I'd keep Hulu+, Netflix, and QuickOffice.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As with most statistics, there is no "right" or "wrong", but rather how you set up the survey as well as how you interpret the findings.

I read through the abovementioned Nielsen report and some of their other findings show, for example, 64% of iPad users are below the age of 35, which doesn't quite reflect the results of the poll on this forum. But without knowing more about how the data was collected, composition of sample size, methodology, etc, there's no way to correlate one survey finding with the other.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As with most statistics, there is no "right" or "wrong", but rather how you set up the survey as well as how you interpret the findings.

I read through the abovementioned Nielsen report and some of their other findings show, for example, 64% of iPad users are below the age of 35, which doesn't quite reflect the results of the poll on this forum. But without knowing more about how the data was collected, composition of sample size, methodology, etc, there's no way to correlate one survey finding with the other.

Common sense tells me that this should be more likely, however once again when it comes to apps people who are more able to purchase apps are probably in the 35+ range. I can't imagine a starving college kid spending 10.00 on an app when he can just as easily put that money towards something really important like beer.;)

Most reactions

Latest posts