What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the fence about jailbreaking? One man's opinion on why you should.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
will jailbreaking affect battery life at all? I won't be using any themes or any background running utilities....

No, it would not.

There are a hand full of different jailbreaking tools, you can get different results from which ever one you use since they use different techniques to jailbreak. Results are not always exactly the same for each device.

Example: in the past people have reported getting faster battery drain when using RedSn0w VS something like Pwnage Tool.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Example: in the past people have reported getting faster battery drain when using RedSn0w VS something like Pwnage Tool.

Yep i have experience the 3 versions: RedSnow, Pwnage ,and no JB have something like 30 less life battery when you JB with Red, and around 20 with PW …. so used by charging and running about external battery … i restore as original and from that moment on i run an original unlock factory and i happy with it

Yet i don’t think we have enough user experience for judge if that affect the iPad battery life

stinkhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the thread from a newbie pov. Looking into freeing my ipad and I have a couple more questions that I can't seem to find the answer to:

1) If I jailbreak my ipad, can I still go to the Apple App Store? Can they detect the jailbreak and penalize me? (by banning me or bricking my ipad, like Xbox with Xbox Live?)

2) If I jailbreak and install a third party app, then un-jailbreak it: is that app still usable? So by using this method, I could grab the few apps I want and then run normal firmware?

Thanks for helping a noob out.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) You can still use the app store with no penalty whatsoever.

2) No.

protomind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@miketool
I actually registered because your comments seem so noobish, while I think you have good intentions you should realize that anyone who does do a jailbreak, or any hack at all will/should/inevitably realize that there is a risk involved. Instead of pointing out some of the risks it seems that you are preaching the risks as if they are the gospel truth.

Since the mid 90's till present I have been a hardware tinkerer and overclocker/poweruser of many sorts of devices, and I can tell you with a certainty that apple does limit the OS severely and they still will limit the device severely after iOS 4 update. To get the full use out of the device jailbreaking is inevitable. There are definite pros and cons to jailbreaking, but IMO only a total and utter moron would automatically assume that jailbreaking is risk free. Overclocking CPU's in computers is generally considered a great risk, yet I have never had a problem with that sort of thing because I always do my homework before doing so. Possibly the OP could have originally made a stronger disclaimer, but it is my contention that if you do jailbreak and do not do some research, then you are lacking in the mental department and possibly deserve to have some problems to learn and grow from. Having said all of this, it seems that you are not really speaking from real world experience. It seems that you google everything to support your claims. I know for a fact the OP is spot on for the most part and your responses seem hokey at best. 1000 posts does not make anyone an iPad master.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
@miketool
I actually registered because your comments seem so noobish, while I think you have good intentions you should realize that anyone who does do a jailbreak, or any hack at all will/should/inevitably realize that there is a risk involved. Instead of pointing out some of the risks it seems that you are preaching the risks as if they are the gospel truth.

Since the mid 90's till present I have been a hardware tinkerer and overclocker/poweruser of many sorts of devices, and I can tell you with a certainty that apple does limit the OS severely and they still will limit the device severely after iOS 4 update. To get the full use out of the device jailbreaking is inevitable. There are definite pros and cons to jailbreaking, but IMO only a total and utter moron would automatically assume that jailbreaking is risk free. Overclocking CPU's in computers is generally considered a great risk, yet I have never had a problem with that sort of thing because I always do my homework before doing so. Possibly the OP could have originally made a stronger disclaimer, but it is my contention that if you do jailbreak and do not do some research, then you are lacking in the mental department and possibly deserve to have some problems to learn and grow from. Having said all of this, it seems that you are not really speaking from real world experience. It seems that you google everything to support your claims. I know for a fact the OP is spot on for the most part and your responses seem hokey at best. 1000 posts does not make anyone an iPad master.

The majority of people who jailbreak don't think there are any risks and you would consider them morons I guess. a lot of them don't even jailbreak their device themselves.

Most people dont do their homework, they DO, then they come back with their problems.

Everything I have said is from real world experience

No one said anything about being an ipad master.

You assume a lot, and you know what they say about assuming things.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts