What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the fence about jailbreaking? One man's opinion on why you should.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Wow, what a great thread! Thanks Deenybird! However, this can go on forever in the spirit (no pun intended :) ) of PC vs. Mac! Just remember to play nice! lol

Dav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant thread deenybird, just a thought maybe put in your first post that jailbreaking is done at your own risk? Just a thought. But all in all very good write up :)

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who cares if it voids the warranty? You can easily restore your iPad before taking it back. I had to do that when I owned my iPhone.

Assuming that the restore works, and that Apple doesn't realize that you invalidated your warranty with the jailbreak. Apple has refused to provide warranty service to a smoker because his Mac smelled of cigarette smoke when he returned it for service on a defective drive. It's not hard to imagine that they would refuse to fix a jailbroken iPad.

If you decide to jailbreak, you should begin with the assumption that your iPad is disposable. The odds are you'll be OK, but there aree no guarantees.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
How would the restore not work?
Um, yeah, my question exactly.

When MikesTooLz said:
Correct a proper resotore can leave no traces, but most regular users wont performe a proper restore.
I went, WTF? (Silently, to myself, so no one would be offended.) But, seriously, WTF? What's a "proper restore," Mr TooLz, and how is it done? Jus' askin...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people are just paranoid for no reason. I've done this before with the iPhone. No issues. I'd love to see proof that a restore sometimes doesn't work. Hell, you could delete the cydia app and those pimply faced kids at the apple store aren't really going to know...let alone a full restore via iTunes.

Last edited:

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com

When MikesTooLz said:
Correct a proper resotore can leave no traces, but most regular users wont performe a proper restore.
I went, WTF? (Silently, to myself, so no one would be offended.) But, seriously, WTF? What's a "proper restore," Mr TooLz, and how is it done? Jus' askin...

In iPhone terms a proper restore refers to a clean restore to Apples original firmware. Its not the first time I see iPhone lingo travel into iPad diskussions.
For the iPhone there is something called pwned firmware, which is created with the jailbreak (and optional unlock) already done, and then used in Itunes to restore your phone. To my knowledge theres no pwn yet for the iPad, but for alot of us ol iPhone breakers the lingo sticks.

No point in getting hooked up on how people phrase their responses, theres so much else to talk about! :)

Obfuscation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will jailbreaking affect battery life at all? I won't be using any themes or any background running utilities....

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you aren't using SSH or backgrounder, no. Some people have reported SSH as draining battery life, so I turned it off.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

When MikesTooLz said:

Performing a restore does whipe everything off of the device. But at the end of the restore it will prompt the user asking if this is device XXXXXXX or is this a new device. If they say yes this is xxxxxxxxxx it can toss proof back onto the device of it being jailbroken even though the device has not been rejailbroken.

They have software at the geniouse bar to check the logs, history, ect...

If you want to test it out, perform a restore on your device and when it asks if this is xxxxxxxxxx or a new device say yes. Then launch the Xcode organizer and you will most likely see some logs pop up for this just restored non jail broken device from things like cydia and other jailbroken apps.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How does anything fail? By something unexpected happening.

Having supported computer users and their problems for 19 years I have seen a great number of "how did THAT happen?" events. Two possibilities that come to mind are a corrupted download of the OS file from Apple, or a flawed load that leaves the iPad corrupted and unable to receive the new copy of the ROM. I've seen more than one device fail on a flash update, including a 3Com switch that cost WAY more than an iPad.

"Things fall apart. It's scientific." - David Byrne/Talking Heads

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
… at the end of the restore it will prompt the user asking if this is device XXXXXXX or is this a new device. If they say yes this is xxxxxxxxxx it can toss proof back onto the device of it being jailbroken even though the device has not been rejailbroken.

They have software at the geniouse bar to check the logs, history, ect...
Soooo...I want to say, "No, this is a completely new device." Then there's no digital paper trail, is that right?

Also: Some other guy's experience with jailbreaking here...

iPad Jailbreaking Woes...

Last edited:

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is like everything else, wait for another spirit version and everything should be fine. If your an expert well you can try the first jailbreak version but im not an expert so I usually wait for a second or a third version.

thanks for the thread

Most reactions

Latest posts