What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On/Off/Sleep button

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I folks I've had my ipad 3 for about 2 months now. The on off button appears to me to be a little slack...it's not causing any real problems at the moment but I'm worried that it may do somewhere down the line. It basically wobble from to left to right and backwards forwards slightly. I've always compared to my iPhone 4 button which doesn't move and wondered but now my girlfriend has got an ipad2 and the same button on that is rock solid...is this common to iPad 3 or should I be heading to the genius bar...it seems so minor but as I say don't want issues in later months or year especially when out of warranty !?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldnt be wobbling at all,i would take it to your nearest Apple shop and show it to them.

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks poison. Straight to the point :)

Don't suppose suppose you know about MacBook pro keyboards. Mines is a 13" 2 year old model and the keyboard on that is now also rattling...they took it in to replace a faulty DVD drive....or so I thought with the rattle but the rattle is still there on the keyboard when I move the machine about . It's not the noise from the auto HD switch off thing but something that appeared over the last couple months...feel a bit lame taken it back still within warranty for a noisy keyboard :(

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an 11" macbook pro,just over a year old and my keyboard is fine,i would get it checked while you have the warranty,it shouldnt be rattling :)

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should say that all of these glitches are minor... I am just worried they get bigger (

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should say that all of these glitches are minor... I am just worried they get bigger (
Thats a distinct possibility,at best they will stay the same and really annoy you,a two months old ipad shouldnt have anything wrong with it,i would think that they will change that for you there and then so back up your stuff before you go to the store.

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I went to the genius bar today and they have taken my MBP in for a be logic board and fan. They kind of looked at me daft about the iPad although one guy did say to me if I insisted they would switch it to a new one but it was normal for an ipad3 apparently something to do with the camera lense. He did also say that the buttons on an iPad 2 were tighter and less likely to wiggle. My prob is if I did is I have icarbon skins on that they won't replace and and also I've been told that the replace,ent won't actually be a completely new one but someone else's return!?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i haven't heard that this is common for ipad3,might be worth a phone call to Apple to verify this,yes a replacement can be a refurbished one but they are like new.....i would like to hear from other members about this loose button thing to see if it is common.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Realizing, of course, that all descriptions of "wobbling" over the Internet are very hard to quantify into words....

...I can feel a small bit of play in my iPad3's Sleep button. It's a tiny wiggle (I can't see it moving with my eyes, but I can feel it in my fingertip), but I can definitely detect movement. I can't compare it to my iPhone because it's in a case that has a hard rubber bit over the button. But, as a point - the iPad Sleep button does wiggle while the built-in hard plastic bump does not. So, it proves to me that my button is moving. It doesn't bother me - but it may not be as much as yours...

So, there's that for a reference. Hope it helps a bit.

Marilyn

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, I know it's not an easy thing to describe. I'm prob just OCD about it as it was a present from someone very special and I hope to have it perfect for a few years yet :)

L

Lunar

No looseness noticed on my iPad3 on/off button either, though I personally wouldn't be overly concerned as long as it worked okay and not too sloppy.

I noticed when replacing iPhone screens in the past that they use a small piece of thin adhesive rubber foam over all the buttons including the volume button obviously to stop the buttons moving/rattling ect. So it may have slipped out of position or likely not put in correct place when it was assembled.

Most reactions

Latest posts