What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Camera Resolution!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The front camera of the iPad2 is VGA - 640x480 - and is designed for video conferencing. The rear camera is a 1 megapixel camera designed for HD video. Neither camera was designed for taking still pictures and, although the iPad can take stills, they are of poor resolution. There is no way of overcoming this - it's a hardware issue that cannot be addressed by software. Apple never thought that people would want to take still pictures with their iPad.

Tim

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thnx Tim! However If I may advise you can take this into consideration and many other issues ahead of iPad 3 in future. I got mine and making the best use of it although been constraint by poor network from my services provider.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry you are having network problems from your service provider. Are these 3G problems via the cellular network, or WiFi problems via a broadband modem?

Tim

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I am sorry you are having network problems from your service provider. Are these 3G problems via the cellular network, or WiFi problems via a broadband modem?

Tim

Tim! The problems are commonly with the 3G service providers.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cameras

Thnx Tim! However If I may advise you can take this into consideration and many other issues ahead of iPad 3 in future. I got mine and making the best use of it although been constraint by poor network from my services provider.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that using an Ipad for still photography is not the most ergononomically friendly soloution. In these day's of hand held HD still and video cameras, holding an ipad for still shots makes little if any sense.

I have a JVC hand held HD video and stills device. On a stand it makes sense, even my bridge camera (Fuji) is designed perfectly for the purpose. Add to that a Samsung 8 mega pixel compact, and that covers photography for me.

The FaceTime camera is good, but you need enough light to show it off at it's best.

Apple never intended to compete in the camera market with the ipad.

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if I may argue, we are in the 21stcc living within time and space. The essence of all in one modern day technology is to reduce excess baggage in the time of journey and as well control the issue of global warming as there may be a greater opportunity for global decongestion. One iPad and or it's equivalent can handle everything ranging from transaction, media, medical, organizers and all sort of provision by the digital age.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In some ways, the iPhone4 tries to be that universal device, but its screen - although high resolution - is too small for many people for comfortable viewing. Hence the iPad - a larger screen device that's been optimised for media consumption - but not for taking photographs, I suspect.

Tim
sunny Scotland today...

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My most sincere appreciation to chart with u Tim. It's sunny with a rising temp to about 34c here in Abuja Nigeria. Looking forward to here from u Tim.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
34C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!

I thought it was warm here - we have the doors open and I've been using the A/C in my car and it's .......... 15C....:(

Tim

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
so if its not ment to take good pics, why are there so meny photograpgy apps like camera Pro ect. And correct me, if I'm wrong, but if the lens is capable to record HD video, it should be as good for still pics. The problem is in software. Remember how it was said in iPad 2 ads ? back. They may be tiny, but they’re a big deal... It’s HD, so whatever you shoot is a mini-masterpiece. And you can take wacky snapshots in Photo Booth. Doesnt it make youthink that it SHOULD take good pics ?!

Shoot all day and into the night.
Bring on the candles and little white lights. Go find fireplaces, sunsets, or a sky full of stars. You can get the full effect on iPad without a big flash. The advanced backside illumination sensor lets you capture great moments even in low light.

Really ? camon guys ! Apple cheated on this and should replace the rear cameras on all sold iPads, if it really only in hardware.

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
one more thing - even if you read the specs in iPad 2 homepafe, they never say, its a crappy 1mp camera. Everywhere they write in big and bold,that its a HD camera, that works best even in low light conditions .

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Manchoa said:
so if its not ment to take good pics, why are there so meny photograpgy apps like camera Pro ect. And correct me, if I'm wrong, but if the lens is capable to record HD video, it should be as good for still pics. The problem is in software. Remember how it was said in iPad 2 ads ? back. They may be tiny, but they’re a big deal... It’s HD, so whatever you shoot is a mini-masterpiece. And you can take wacky snapshots in Photo Booth. Doesnt it make youthink that it SHOULD take good pics ?!

Shoot all day and into the night.
Bring on the candles and little white lights. Go find fireplaces, sunsets, or a sky full of stars. You can get the full effect on iPad without a big flash. The advanced backside illumination sensor lets you capture great moments even in low light.

Really ? camon guys ! Apple cheated on this and should replace the rear cameras on all sold iPads, if it really only in hardware.

Absolutely agreed with You, and if I may suggest Apple iPad should correct the mistake and make a free replacement offer with the coming iPad 3 for all those who purchase the iPad 2.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
may suggest Apple iPad should correct the mistake and make a free replacement offer with the coming iPad 3 for all those who purchase the iPad 2.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Most don't purchase the iPad for hopes of an awesome camera. You can see just what you should expect from doing research on the camera, before purchasing.;)

OP
Sulayman Dauda

Sulayman Dauda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I wouldn't hold my breath. Most don't purchase the iPad for hopes of an awesome camera. You can see just what you should expect from doing research on the camera, before purchasing.;)

May I take you back to my earlier threat posted on the 11th may 2011 as I'v argued that time and space is all about 21stcc regarding all in one and that one need not to carry excess baggage especially to the way farers.... And if not why then the camera from the first place? I refuse to purchase samsung galaxy tab because I was awaiting the iPad 2 simply because of the camera, reduction on weight and speed. And if I may argue many people decided on the iPad 2 simply because of the mention quality not because we don't like the ipad1.

Most reactions

Latest posts