What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OLED Display for iPad?

RickD_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one consideration that is currently making me hesitate on buying an Ipad is its backlit LED display. I live near the beach in eastern North Carolina and would love to use the iPad as an e-book reader on the beach or even in my rocking chair on the front porch of my house. But I know damn well that e-book reading on an iPad will be virtually impossible given my prior experience trying to see stuff on the display of my Touch at the beach.

Does anyone know whether or not Apple is considering using OLED displays on future versions of the iPad? Wouldn't OLED with its high brightness and contrast ratios be the solution to screen viewing on the iPad?

What about e-ink? Is anyone working on developing a color version of the e-ink display similar to what the Kindle offers in black and white?

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oled is near invisible in the sun! The only issue with the iPad in sunlight is glare...it gets plenty bright tho.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no problems at all reading/seeing my screen when outside in sunlight, and I live in Florida, so the sun is very bright most of the day.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there were concerns of OLED manufacturers production being able to keep up with demand. I would suspect that one day it will make its way to the iPad and others.

I don't know why no one uses the old transflective LCDs anymore. I had an old Pocket PC that had one a LONG time ago. It actually reflected the sunlight to light the LCD. The brighter the sun, the brighter the screen was. The colors would be off a little in bright sunlight, but you could see everything clearly. Some laptops used to use them as well.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You have no idea how much the price would go up if they used and OLED screen on the ipad. Maybe 3 or 4 times more expensive? Sorry but I wouldnt buy one at those prices.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too like to read outside though I tend to find/make shade vs. read in direct sunlight. I have had no problems reading on my iPad.

-Greg

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
OLED at this point is just not workable. There is no doubt that Apple is looking at the latest screen technologies, but it will be a while before any big changes. Cost/durability/usability must all be considered.....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OLEDs are not ready for prime time. The rumor was that Apple seriously considered them, but the cost and reliability were not up to standards.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like heat so I'd rarely have mine outside since it's already about 90 during the day here, BUT I had mine in the car the other day and even inside the car I had a very hard time seeing the screen. So I'm really glad I prefer the comfort of my air conditioning!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I don't like heat so I'd rarely have mine outside since it's already about 90 during the day here, BUT I had mine in the car the other day and even inside the car I had a very hard time seeing the screen. So I'm really glad I prefer the comfort of my air conditioning!

When outside, turn up the screen brightness all the way, and the auto brightness off... you will see a dramatic difference.....

I read outside (in the shade, it was 97 yesterday here in TEXAS) quite a bit, and it's really pretty good.....glare can be an issue, but a slight difference in angle can get rid of most of it....

OP
R

RickD_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snagged 16GB WiFi Model Today!

Well as a result of the positive feedback from this thread I decided to go online and see if any of the Best Buys in my immediate area had any in stock. None were available within 60 miles of my home but lo and behold I found one Best Buy in Raleigh that had one in stock! I braved monsoon-like weather conditions and a one hour delay on I-40 due to an 18 wheeler mishap and now have a brand new iPad in my possession!

Is there a 12-step program for people like me? :D

My initial impressions are very favorable...it's a beautifully designed device and I have had no trouble with the N wireless connection to my home network (D-Link 655 N router). Can't wait to read my first book and first issue of USA Today on this baby! :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts