What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldie onto FaceTime Q.

OP
S
Reaction score
After logging in, he has to find his former iPad in iCloud on the website.

Great, understood. I've forwarded your reply on here, to him. He seems a bit flustered even so, seemingly unable to successfully do this request. Hmm.

I'm next up & able to get at the ipad, at easter weekend. I'll see if anything positive has happened then. And jump back onto this thread.

Many thanks for your help J.A.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chaps.

Really sorry, but one last re-launch of this thread/ one final try to get somewhere with this issue.

Ok, a reminder of where I am: I asked the seller, previous owner of ipad to untether his email account, from the ipad. I gave the exact instructions you guys kindly provided. He tried & tried (I think, so it seems from his mssgs) but nothing has changed. His email account is still stalwart tethered to the ipad. Numerous pop up boxes appear asking me to sign in. I can at least press 'cancel' each time & these go away.

But when I go to FaceTime, & it asks me to 'create new Apple ID' ( this as you may recall, is my goal).. I get the following message/ pop up box:

Could not create Apple ID.
This ipad has been used to create to mny new Apple ID's. Please contact Apple Support to request another Apple ID to use with this ipad.
To learn more, please go to If you see a Could Not Create Apple ID or Could Not Set Up iCloud message

Could anyone shed any further light? Thanks, Shwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Just to say I've got my old dad's iPad, the one in question, here with me at my home. Although I'm typing right now on my other main ipad Air.

Thanks, Shwanger

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi chaps.

Really sorry, but one last re-launch of this thread/ one final try to get somewhere with this issue.

Ok, a reminder of where I am: I asked the seller, previous owner of ipad to untether his email account, from the ipad. I gave the exact instructions you guys kindly provided. He tried & tried (I think, so it seems from his mssgs) but nothing has changed. His email account is still stalwart tethered to the ipad. Numerous pop up boxes appear asking me to sign in. I can at least press 'cancel' each time & these go away.

But when I go to FaceTime, & it asks me to 'create new Apple ID' ( this as you may recall, is my goal).. I get the following message/ pop up box:

Could not create Apple ID.
This ipad has been used to create to mny new Apple ID's. Please contact Apple Support to request another Apple ID to use with this ipad.
To learn more, please go to If you see a Could Not Create Apple ID or Could Not Set Up iCloud message

Could anyone shed any further light? Thanks, Shwanger

You can only create a limited number of Apple IDs on a particular device. Once this total is reached you can’t create any more on that device. You can, however create an Apple ID on another device and use it on your fathers iPad. There are no restrictions on the number of Apple IDs you can use on any particular device.

OP
S
Reaction score
You can only create a limited number of Apple IDs on a particular device. Once this total is reached you can’t create any more on that device. You can, however create an Apple ID on another device and use it on your fathers iPad. There are no restrictions on the number of Apple IDs you can use on any particular device.

Hi scicfan.

As far as I can establish though, there is only one Apple ID linked to this ipad in question. That being, this guys one, still tethered to it. There's nothing suggesting any others are within the ipad/ ascociated with it.

A yway I'll try & create a new one, on this main ipad Im using now, this is a different one to my dad's. How I do this though, might proove as difficult.

Thanks, Shwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Chaps,

I cannot see anywhere on this main ipad, to "create Apple ID". This is not my fathers ipad, which Im unable to create one on, this is trying as scifan suggests to do, attempting to create one on another ipad (on which Im typing now, my main ipad, on which as far as I can recall I have one 'Apple ID' already).

Can someone help me how to do this? Ive searched online how to, but get stuck immediately as there is nowhere to 'create' one, in settings. So Im utterly lost from the get-go.

Thanks, Schwanger

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you can get the seller to remove his details you will not be able to use any new Apple ID on the iPad you have bought for your Dad. The seller should really take it back and refund your money if you cannot use the iPad.

OP
S
Reaction score
Unless you can get the seller to remove his details you will not be able to use any new Apple ID on the iPad you have bought for your Dad. The seller should really take it back and refund your money if you cannot use the iPad.

Hi Jupiter, but I saw you 'liked' scifan's post yesterday (that "You can, however create an Apple ID on another device and use it on your fathers iPad.")

So this is what I was trying yesterda, searching all info on possibly how this is done ( really how an Apple ID is even created.. I still have no idea, even trawling my ipad's settings area).

Now you've thrown me a curveball. (So are my efforts all yesterday wasted-? )

So I'm really confused now. Why would you have clicked 'like' on scifan's post I wonde.

Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
You can use other Apple IDs on an iPad but not at the same time.

Hi Jupiter, I'm even more confused by this post tbh.

This implies, or does it, that I can use my dad's ipad.. using an Apple ID created somewhere other than this very ipad?

I cannot make an iota of sense when you say 'using Apple ID's at the same time'. Same time-? I can't possibly get my head around this concept.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jupiter, I'm even more confused by this post tbh.

This implies, or does it, that I can use my dad's ipad.. using an Apple ID created somewhere other than this very ipad?

I cannot make an iota of sense when you say 'using Apple ID's at the same time'. Same time-? I can't possibly get my head around this concept.
Multiple Apple IDs cannot be used on one Pad because only one user can be signed in at once. An iPad could have had several previous owners.

OP
S
Reaction score
..You can, however create an Apple ID on another device and use it on your fathers iPad.

Scifan, two other members have liked the post, including this line above. One of which was Jupiter.

Could you possibly therefore tell me -how- I create an Apple ID, on another device, to be used on this iPad (Gen 3).

I am using this other device now, as I type: this is my main iPad (Air).

I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate, in any way, this part of your post I have quoted here.

Thanks, Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Multiple Apple IDs cannot be used on one Pad because only one user can be signed in at once. An iPad could have had several previous owners.

So why did you like Scifan's post #38 then Jupiter? You are seemingly contradicting yourself, causing me much confusion. I am tied in knots here.

This ipad has one previous owner only. There is only evidence pointing towards this fact, plus, evidence pointing only to -one- Apple ID tethered to this iPad (not multiple ones). This being his Apple ID.

Thanks, Schwanger

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So why did you like Scifan's post #38 then Jupiter? You are seemingly contradicting yourself, causing me much confusion. I am tied in knots here.

This ipad has one previous owner only. There is only evidence pointing towards this fact, plus, evidence pointing only to -one- Apple ID tethered to this iPad (not multiple ones). This being his Apple ID.

Thanks, Schwanger
I was the other one.

Your posts before the one we liked sounded like the previous owner had successfully removed the iPad from his iCloud account, and you were trying to create an account for your father, but couldn‘t. @scifan57 told you that it’s not possible to create lots of iCloud accounts. The number of accounts you can create on one Apple device is limited.

Your last posts describe a different problem, though. Although the previous owner tried to remove this iPad from his iCloud ID, it looks like he wasn’t successful. If you can see his account, it’s still locked to him. That would also explain why you can’t create an account for your father.

Did you erase your father’s iPad, or was it erased after the former owner removed it from his ID?

Most reactions

Latest posts