What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldie onto FaceTime Q.

Reaction score
Hi chaps, Christmas wishes from west wales.

I hope y'all in USA are ok, we're hearing much about your awful cold 'bomb' over here in UK.. top news story on the BBC.

I wonder if anyone could remind me, I've given my old Pa his iPad 3rd gen, & would like to try getting him/ his iPad onto Facetime.

I can't even recall how I got onto it myself, with my ipad air, let alone how my Pa can! He doesn't even have an email address/ account. All very new to him.

So, could anyone help? Much obliged if so.

Thanks, Schwanger

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi chaps, Christmas wishes from west wales.

I hope y'all in USA are ok, we're hearing much about your awful cold 'bomb' over here in UK.. top news story on the BBC.

I wonder if anyone could remind me, I've given my old Pa his iPad 3rd gen, & would like to try getting him/ his iPad onto Facetime.

I can't even recall how I got onto it myself, with my ipad air, let alone how my Pa can! He doesn't even have an email address/ account. All very new to him.

So, could anyone help? Much obliged if so.

Thanks, Schwanger
First of all your Dad would need to have WiFi, then he would need to have an Apple ID. He would have to start by getting an email address or create one with Apple.

OP
S
Reaction score
First of all your Dad would need to have WiFi, then he would need to have an Apple ID. He would have to start by getting an email address or create one with Apple.
Hi there Jupiter, must say you've been looking radiant these last few months.

thanks, ok so yes I've connected it fine to my folks hub (my Ma has an up to date ipad.. but we both can't recall how we got onto FaceTime). He's never had an email addy, nor will he ever use one, it's just a thing for using FaceTime (& maybe.. he might stretch, to an occasional youtube thing: doubt it tho).

So once I create him an email account, I then use this, to create an 'apple id' ?

And from that, I somehow then create a FaceTime 'something'/ profile, or whatever it is we have-?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there Jupiter, must say you've been looking radiant these last few months.

thanks, ok so yes I've connected it fine to my folks hub (my Ma has an up to date ipad.. but we both can't recall how we got onto FaceTime). He's never had an email addy, nor will he ever use one, it's just a thing for using FaceTime (& maybe.. he might stretch, to an occasional youtube thing: doubt it tho).

So once I create him an email account, I then use this, to create an 'apple id' ?

And from that, I somehow then create a FaceTime 'something'/ profile, or whatever it is we have-?
Once he has an email your Dad could simply go to the Apple Settings - Apple ID and fill in his name and the email he has created plus (from memory) his age. He may be asked for to provide a mobile phone number for a verification code as well. Once signed here, provided FaceTime is switched on in Settings (which is an on/off toggle) he should be good to go.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you Dad has an Apple ID, (for the App Store or just about any other Apple service) then he already has an email account, even if he has never used it. See Johanna's post for the link, but make sure you don't already have an Apple ID linked to the iPad before making a new one.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chaps, happy new year & hope all in the US struggled through the arctic blast unscathed, & managed to have a good Christmas despite it.

I didn't get round to getting my old Pa onto Facetime at xmas: I visited for a few days & had so much to do for them (including the turkey, which I cooked -& carved totally unwittingly- upside down, & found both breasts fully intact underneath -& sort of fried too- on boxing day).. so was too exhausted to do this.

So he was given his iPad for his xmas pressie ( which I think he's poked at only twice.. & that's it!) & I set it up so: he turns on & -no passcode- or fingerprint nonsense, he swipes rightwards.. & onto his homepage screen. And I connected it to the www. That's all.

Can I ask. Is it at all possible, that I could get him onto FaceTime -from here- ?? ie Im on my iPad in wales, he's in england with his iPad there.

Thanks, Schwanger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to make a call on FaceTime without having and address to call. This has to be either a phone number from and iPhone that has been enabled on the iPad, or an email address that has been added as an account on the iPad.

Unless you specifically avoided it, an Apple ID should have been created when the iPad was activated. This is an email address, and will work as the FaceTime address.

When creating an Apple ID there is an option to use an existing email address from another provider, or create one with Apple. Obviously the later is encouraged. If he created one with Apple the format will likely be [email protected]

To find out what this email address is, you can go to Settings and select the User at the very top of the list, then Names, Phone Numbers, Emails. The Apple ID (whatever it is) will be shown there.

You should be able to use this to make a FaceTime call to his iPad. (internet access required).

If there is no Apple ID, then the iPad's setup is incomplete. You won't be able to call it, because there is no address to call. It would be like buying a phone, but never getting a phone number.

Note: Email address's other than the Apple ID can be used, but must be added as accounts on the iPad. This is easiest done under Settings > Mail > Accounts. You should also check Settings > FaceTime and see what accounts/addresses have been enabled to receive calls.

ADCFC5A7-5005-4F88-A9A1-76CA863EA613.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet,

I'm getting a bit confused now. Firstly he can't create an email address, nor an apple ID (is this an email address-?).. because he isn't capable of doing either. He couldn't turn the thing on/ off, even with me gently pushing his finger onto the button to feel/ locate & find it, he still couldn't press it because he's simply not used to buttons he cant see. That's how alien this device is to him.

So it must be -me- or someone else, to do this FaceTime setting up 'chain' for him.

What I was wanting to know, is whether this creation/ this whatever-it-is-that's-needed (apple ID thing I believe is step 1) in order for him to use FaceTime... whether this procedure.. can be done by me, here.

Or can he only get onto FaceTime, by me physically having his ipad with me (that's me visiting him then), & then me creating this apple ID thing for him, on his ipad, in order to then.. well I don't know.. Im lost tbh.

I know then I go to set up some other thing, in order finally to get him "registered" as a FaceTime user. But that seems far away as a final goal right now. Contacts lists rings a bell.. but god only knows what. And that (call it step 4) is a mile away from my current understanding.

Thanks, Schwanger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If he can't do it, then someone will have to do it for him. You can't make a FaceTime call without having and knowing the iPad's address, not any more than you could call him without having and knowing a phone number.

Going over this site might help you understand what needs to be done on his end, and how to use FaceTime once it is available.

I'm not completely sure I've understood what his limitations with the device are, but you might want to explore the iPad's accecibilty features. Maybe there is a solution there. Also Siri. If FaceTime is enabled on his iPad, and your phone number or email associated with FaceTime is in his Contacts, and Siri is enabled, then he could just say "Hey Siri, Call Schwang using FaceTime"

But one way or another, you need to solve the address/email thing first.

OP
S
Reaction score
I still haven't got past the 1st hurdle though. I've tried asking this early-stage question a few times but the meaning of what Im asking is seemingly getting lost. I put it down to simply forums/ communication via text boxes is sometimes almost impossible. So I have to try again.

Ok. Due to his limitations I explained, my father cannot create an Apple ID.
So someone has to do this for him. This can only be me. But I am 150m away.

So. I need to establish where -physically- this can be done. I know for certainty in theory it can be done at his house/ with his ipad/ by me. But Im not there.

So.. this is the question Im trying to ask: can this 'first step' setting up Facetime (which I believe involves creation of an Apple ID)....

can this be done from where I am, 150m away on my ipad for eg, for him?

Thanks, Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
All my father is capable of doing you see, is pressing a green button (to answer a FaceTime call). He can also press the Home button, & swipe to get to his Homepage.. but only being instructed to. He cannot do even this, alone.

Anything more.. he cannot do. He'll never be able to do. Internet? forget it, no way on earth he'll know how or once on it, what on earth to do, or get back to 'start'.

So, I bought him the ipad -only- with one thing in mind. One function. Facetime, & simply his pressing of one green "answer" button. He'll never be able to make a call. Only answer a call.

So you see as simple as it is for us in 2 mins, to create an Apple ID.... it's simply not feasable/ possible, for my Dad to do so.

Therefore it's up to someone else, to set the thing up for him, so that he jumps on board.... & presses his green answer button.

Thanks, Shwanger

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can create an Apple ID for him via browser. Go to Apple ID, then select “Create your Apple ID“ at the top right, and follow the instructions.

This Apple ID has to be installed on his iPad afterwards, or else FaceTime won’t work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As Johanna said, you can creat an Apple ID from pretty much anywhere. But you can't add it to the iPad remotely.

So, no. You can not do what you need to do remotely.

No. Given all the constraints you' specified, you can't do it.

The reason people have not given you a simple no is that we've been trying to give you enough information to go forward with. You need to concentrate on how to get someone to help you with the iPad at your Dad's location, not on a method to remotely set up the iPad. It does not exisit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That said. The iPad is not the ideal device for what you want. There are video phone products out there specifically made for seniors with dementia or other limitations. I don't know enough to offer good advice on them, but a search for Senior Video Phones should turn up several options.

Most reactions

Latest posts