What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldie onto FaceTime Q.

OP
S
Reaction score
That said. The iPad is not the ideal device for what you want. There are video phone products out there specifically made for seniors with dementia or other limitations. I don't know enough to offer good advice on them, but a search for Senior Video Phones should turn up several options.
Hi twerppoet, ok thanks for your last two posts. This clears things up.

Once I could get to the ipad, I could've got him an Appel ID, & set up the FaceTime "registration" by following the advice on the replies early on. I was too exhausted at xmas to research how, then do these " registration " steps.

It was only ever whether doing this procedure -away- from his iPad was possible, which was the core point of the thread. So, it seems this isn't. Ok so this will have to wait until I'm back there then.

He doesn't have dementia, though I can see you might think so. He just cannot cope with for eg, 95% of the buttons on a tv remote (daftly too many- a hopeless design these things, I think you'd agree). So he can only cope with:

A) pressing one, or now that seems to be two in succession, green buttons.

And B) FaceTime only, because he has some familiarity with it (watching my mum use her ipad & being present at her/ their FaceTime calls). So any other system will just complicate things by a factor of 10.

And C) because me, my mum, our old friend, another friend, & my brother & family... all those they 'talk' to, all have ipads & use its facetime.. so any other video call thing just isn't sensible.

D) FaceTime -is- well designed, simple obvious coloured buttons, one to answer (now two very annoyingly, which might scupper the whole idea).

Thanks, Schwanger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I'm sorry we couldn't come up with a better solution.

As for remotes, I agree. Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I loved complicated gizmos and remotes. The extra features entertained me. At some point I changed. Now a big part of shopping for a new TV is looking for the simplest remote I can find. It's not that I can't figure them out. I just don't want to 'have to' figure them out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Much appreciate the replies chaps.

I agree entirely with the effort in trying to understand remotes- it seems the japanese & koreans brains are far more adept at a ton of info condensed on a remote, maybe it's because they eat more fish I don't know!

I'll dig back into the help on here next time I'm back visiting them.

Very useful information.

Thanks Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've finally got to my Dad's ipad, in order to try "creating an apple ID".... in order to try getting him onto Facetime.

I'm using my own ipad, to type this. So I have his on my lap.. & mine in hand.

Both ipad's are connected to my parent's WIFI.

Ok. So, as I may have mentioned before, I bought him this 3rd gen ipad used. The seller cleared most of his things beforehand. I then cleared remenants of him, ie contacts were full of this chap's people. Cleared.

When I go to settings (on his ipad), I cannot find anywhere to "create an apple ID". Can someone help?

What I can see, is the seller's account still hooked up to "icloud" (whatever on earth this is). This might, possibly suggest, that this ipad is still connected to the seller's "apple ID" thing. Can someone help on this too?

Thanks, Schwanger

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it‘s still connected to his/her Apple ID/iCloud ID, he/she will have to remove this device from iCloud, or else it will be locked and useless at some point.
Please contact the seller and ask him or her to remove it from iCloud, before you do anything else:

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Hi J.A.. aha thanks for the info. I'm trying to contact the seller then asap.

Crikey I had no idea it could become 'locked'.

I did seem to be able to make a new gmail account for my dad. On his ipad. All steps done, & sure I have succeeded in doing so, but then went to the FaceTime section.. & it said the name or password 'invalid'. Triple checked both the name & password, but nope, it will not play ball.

Urgh what a chore. I knew it'd be a pickle to do this! Got partial way there though, I think.

OP
S
Reaction score
The seller does not have to have the iPad in his hand to remove his iCloud account. He can do it from his iCloud account on any computer with an internet connection.

Hi scifan, well thank goodness for that. Now it's just a case of getting in contact with him.

Thanks, Schwanger

OP
S
Reaction score
Hopefully the seller will cooperate.
Hi scifan,

I emailed the seller, who said "Im not too adept at iPad, like you it seems, but I tried to unlock it.. see if it works now".

It hasn't worked. His email is still stubbornly on my dad's iPad. It asks me to put his password in below this guy's email.

Any ideas exactly what this guy has to do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If “Find My” is enabled for this iPad (you can find it in Settings - the owner’s name at the top, then go to Find My, and see whether or not it is “On”), ask him to sign in to the following site:

After signing in, he has to go to his former iPad, and click “Erase”. You’ll notice when he does it, because the device will restart, if it’s connected to Wi-Fi.
After erasing it, he has to remove it from his account.

OP
S
Reaction score
If “Find My” is enabled for this iPad (you can find it in Settings - the owner’s name at the top, then go to Find My, and see whether or not it is “On”), ask him to sign in to the following site:

After signing in, he has to go to his former iPad, and click “Erase”. You’ll notice when he does it, because the device will restart, if it’s connected to Wi-Fi.
After erasing it, he has to remove it from his account.
Hi J.A,

On my dad's ipad, Ive found this 'find my' area.. & can see a slide button to turn off. But I can't turn off, without entering the password for this seller chap's apple ID, still resolutely stuck firm in this ipad.

It seems to be a catch 22.

I'm not quite understanding if you are suggesting the only way this can be done, is the seller guy to physically enter xyz on this very ipad.

I'm pretty confused now tbh.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can’t turn it off without entering the password on your father’s device.

The seller can remove his ID remotely, he doesn’t need access to the iPad.
He has to do what I suggested in my post above, and he has to do it via browser.
Send the website link to him, and tell him what to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
@J. A. thanks alot for your help.

I am still confused though. Your post before, says "After signing in, he has to go to his former iPad, and click “Erase”.

As said he seems to be not too clued-up, with me even less so, asking him to do things. If I'm not clear about what I'm asking, this seems a near impossible task.

Ok. The section I underline here; this implies (fairly unambiguously it seems) that he needs to be physically with the ipad. Now this could, possibly though mean you are suggesting him instructing me to be his 'hand'. I know in your most recent post you say that he can do it remotely.. but there seems a contradiction with your previous underlined advice.

Could you therefore possibly rephrase the underlined advice for me?

Thanks, Schwanger

Most reactions

Latest posts